Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread

The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread

Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I have had real problems with my trees- an orange and a grevillia just died, almost overnight. Think I've got a fungus, as one of the gums had to be taken down and had bracket fungus.

But my main problem is nothing seems to be growing this year- all my veggies are either bolting, eaten by rabbits, or going yellow/sulking. The peppers are the same size as when I put them in!! This is after 3 months. Half the tomatoes in pots have grown and the other half haven't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
Same in Adelaide veggie wise. Everyone I have spoken to has said the same.

Paulandnic, the height a plant will get to is very variable in oz. To start with the labels are the same ones used over the whole country. So the soil, water levels etc will all be different.
Have you fed your canes at all? Bushing out is good too though. You want them to be good and strong before they go up so the wind doesn't blow them over.
They look lovely though.

My garden wise, I ate my first almond this morning. Yay.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Yours look fine to me. I planted some, and other things, in 2009 (picture is April 2009). 2nd pic is Feb 2010. Too dark for a 3rd pic but they are now forming a solid wall screening the shed, practically full height. I spent half a day cleaning up their dead fronds not long ago.
Attached Thumbnails The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread-garden-1.jpg   The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread-garden-2.jpg  
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:16 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Have you fed your canes at all? Bushing out is good too though. You want them to be good and strong before they go up so the wind doesn't blow them over.
They look lovely though.
To be honest they got fed for the first time last week. I've been giving them plenty of water when dry, but no food ...

I was told by the local garden center to give each plant half a bag of this stuff that had all-sorts in it, and return after a few weeks. I popped in there today and see a diff person and they've recommended a fertilizer for tropical plants. Twice a year he said and they'll be off!

Originally Posted by lesleys
Yours look fine to me.
Thanks.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Ok, now I don't profess to have the greenest fingers, but they're getting greener by the year (very therapeutic I find... ) My current problem is I planted 6 Golden Canes over a year ago, and they aint growing!

Well, they seem to be buffing up for want of a better term, but nothing goin on in the height dept, and am just curious as to why, and if or when they'll start heading north instead of east to west ?!? ...

Pictures.

When planted...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps5a2c91ca.jpg

How they look now...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps536b6121.jpg

As I say, they seem to be buffing up and even some movement at the base...

No3...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps5da09a3b.jpg

No4...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...psf8a4a5f6.jpg

But they haven't grown a single inch in height ...

They're supposed to grow to 20 odd foot, but not these.

Will appreciate any replies / advice ...

The growth rate of golden canes depends on serval factors.

1. Are they getting enough sunshine. The should be planted in a full sun position otherwise their grow rate can be stunted.

2. What sort of soil are they planted in. If its clay or very pool soil, this can also have an effect on their growth. If you have poor soil, give them a good fertlise and see how they respond. Excessive moisture in the soil could also have an impact, they prefer a well drained soil.

3. They seem to be planted fairly close together which could cause the palm to have a stunted growth pattern due to the palm having to fight for soil space and nutrients with the palm next to it. They should be at least 1.5 metres apart to allow each plant room to grow and mature.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

for gardening questions try the homeone forum, garden and landscaping.
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewforu...63109703bd6f2c

Fu Manchu (from Perth) will be happy to answer your question. He is the gardening expert for WA.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
for gardening questions try the homeone forum, garden and landscaping.
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewforu...63109703bd6f2c

Fu Manchu (from Perth) will be happy to answer your question. He is the gardening expert for WA.
Probably a good link.... I would love to see people swapping their experiences on here. My Wife belongs to a gardening forum already and I could get her to ask this question for me. Seeing as it's my query I'll try here first.

Does anyone know of a strong as in flavour garlic breed I can grow..... plus where to get it. Online would be good.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Probably a good link.... I would love to see people swapping their experiences on here. My Wife belongs to a gardening forum already and I could get her to ask this question for me. Seeing as it's my query I'll try here first.

Does anyone know of a strong as in flavour garlic breed I can grow..... plus where to get it. Online would be good.
Try www.diggers.com

They have a forum and you can access old fashioned and unusual plants through them
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Try www.diggers.com

They have a forum and you can access old fashioned and unusual plants through them
That could be handy.... I'd like to add a strong garlic to my Chilli, Basil and Lemon Grass plants, Got 3 different types of strong Chilli growing at present Scotch Bonnet, Habenero and Birds eye.... I may be able to source that chilli that originated in Dorset through them.

It's actually the Wife that's the main gardener in our household... I just dabble with certain plants. Grass.... as in lawn. Bamboo and my stronger herbs.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 6th 2013 at 9:35 am.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

The range of seeds etc you can get isn't as wide here, but it is getting better all the time, especially for edibles. :-)
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Wondering if anybody had experience of trying to protect newly laid turf in extreme heat?
We pre-ordered turf before christmas, and installed it Sat just past, and of course now this week its going to be a flippin heatwave (we are in north Melbourne)
We are of course watering it well (2xdaily) but as it is a relatively small area was wondering if it would be worthwhile trying to cover it up during the hottest part of the day?
What does anybody think? I've got enough tarpaulins I could chuck over it, thin enough to let it breathe but possibly stop it scorching? Any thoughts?

Last edited by AlliF; Jan 6th 2013 at 9:28 pm. Reason: sp
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Wondering if anybody had experience of trying to protect newly laid turf in extreme heat?
We pre-ordered turf before christmas, and installed it Sat just past, and of course now this week its going to be a flippin heatwave (we are in north Melbourne)
We are of course watering it well (2xdaily) but as it is a relatively small area was wondering if it would be worthwhile trying to cover it up during the hottest part of the day?
What does anybody think? I've got enough tarpaulins I could chuck over it, thin enough to let it breathe but possibly stop it scorching? Any thoughts?
What kind of turf is it?

We laid our Palmetto in extreme heat (couldn’t have been a worse time), and it turned brown within 12 hours, despite constant watering. Onc it took hold and put down roots it recovered very quickly.

All you can do is make sure it is always kept really moist and make sure you do not water during the hottest part of the day as it will evaporate very quickly. Maybe also sprinkle some water crystals over it as well, which will help retain the moisture. Best time for watering is early in the morning between 5 and 6 or after the sun has gown down. It is better to give it a deep watering less often, then watering often but for less time, as this will encourage the roots to go in search of water and therefore encourage a healthy root system.

Do not cover it with a tarpaulin, unless you want to kill it all together. If it doesn’t get any light it will die altogether not to mention the extreme heat underneath the tarp. We laid a tarp on ours (just temporarily) while we had some top soil delivered. Within a few hours the grass was already starting to go yellow!.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
What kind of turf is it?

We laid our Palmetto in extreme heat (couldn’t have been a worse time), and it turned brown within 12 hours, despite constant watering. Onc it took hold and put down roots it recovered very quickly.

All you can do is make sure it is always kept really moist and make sure you do not water during the hottest part of the day as it will evaporate very quickly. Maybe also sprinkle some water crystals over it as well, which will help retain the moisture. Best time for watering is early in the morning between 5 and 6 or after the sun has gown down. It is better to give it a deep watering less often, then watering often but for less time, as this will encourage the roots to go in search of water and therefore encourage a healthy root system.

Do not cover it with a tarpaulin, unless you want to kill it all together. If it doesn’t get any light it will die altogether not to mention the extreme heat underneath the tarp. We laid a tarp on ours (just temporarily) while we had some top soil delivered. Within a few hours the grass was already starting to go yellow!.
Thanks Sassie, that's a great help. It is Kikuyu turf, which i'm told is supposed to be good in dry conditions anyway.
I have no idea when it comes to gardening (does it show) - we are just doing this to get ready to sell up so really don't want it dying on us before we get it sold.
Will refrain from putting tarp on it..
Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:07 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Thanks Sassie, that's a great help. It is Kikuyu turf, which i'm told is supposed to be good in dry conditions anyway.
I have no idea when it comes to gardening (does it show) - we are just doing this to get ready to sell up so really don't want it dying on us before we get it sold.
Will refrain from putting tarp on it..
It'll be fine.

Do you have an edging tool? if not, get one now. Just an old style one will do.

Otherwise the grass will take over.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Arrow Re: The 'Down Under' Gardening Thread

I personally reckon I would try and work out a system where I could place some raised shade cloth above the turf.. the one that lets air and light through... for the hottest part of the day... circa 3 or 4 hours. Make sure it breaths and lets air in though.

You would have to be very dedicated and disciplined to do this.

My turf (circa 70 sq meters) is about 10 weeks old and going really well... luckily we just beat the heat and boy am I throwing water at it.... darn the cost. Managed to keep it 100 pct green thus far... except for dog pee spots... we've got dog rocks now... not worked yet.

One thing it has done is throw up seed heads at a very low height.... It's a buffalo grass "Kings Pride" I've read that is a symptom of lack of nutrient... so I'm feeding it very lightly at present and testing it out.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 7th 2013 at 1:32 am.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:57 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all replies, but this one is good for me ...

Originally Posted by sassie
The growth rate of golden canes depends on serval factors.

1. Are they getting enough sunshine. The should be planted in a full sun position otherwise their grow rate can be stunted.

They're to be used for screening purposes so they get what they get really. Handy enough they do get a fair bit. Sun's on them from early morn and goes about 3pm

2. What sort of soil are they planted in. If its clay or very pool soil, this can also have an effect on their growth. If you have poor soil, give them a good fertlise and see how they respond. Excessive moisture in the soil could also have an impact, they prefer a well drained soil.

All I can tell you about the soil is that both neighbours have Golden Canes that are about 20' tall, so kinda hoped that we've got all the same soil ?!? I've basically fed them nothing but water when dry till about a month ago when I got some stuff from Mitre10 and was told to throw half a bag on each and water. We actually had a few days that followed where we had heaps of rain so they def got a good watering after the application. Have thrown the bags but had blood & bone, chicken pellets, and about another 6 or so ingredients (can't recall)

I've been given something else from another shop (Garden King 'Tropic' Food) as supposidly excellent for Canes, but don't wanna be throwing all kinds of crap on them really. A friend of a friend who's a gardener always said 'chicken poo' is all you need ...lol, but we got rid of the chook pen when we bought the house

3. They seem to be planted fairly close together which could cause the palm to have a stunted growth pattern due to the palm having to fight for soil space and nutrients with the palm next to it. They should be at least 1.5 metres apart to allow each plant room to grow and mature.

Now this has been a worry for me since planting. The guy I bought them from (market) said they can be planted as close as you like. I didn't think this was right, so went to my local good ole Mitre10 and again was told no real worry, just keep a min of 1m. Now that's pretty much where they're at, but I'm wondering if I should pull every other out. I can slap one of them right at the far right and I'll be left with 4 there, guessing that'll do if they kick off ?!?

Oh and only half a metre from retaining wall, but guessing the roots can go under next door if they want as the wall stops at floor level. The back canes don't have much room at all really TBH, but don't wanna rip half me paving up so I can give them more.

Hope this helps

VERY much so! ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.