Reload this Page >

Double luggage allowance

Double luggage allowance

Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

auds is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Double luggage allowance

Hi Guys

I've seen on this forum that you can get double the luggage allowance with Singapore Airlines if you have an unvalildated PR visa in your passport.

Has anyone managed to get double the allowance if you have provisional spouse visa? The visa label says you can stay in Oz until a decision is made on your PR application.

If I fly with Sinagapore, I'll need to get a flight from Dublin to Heathrow so might not be able to get double on that leg though

Anyone know if Ethiad allows double when emmigrating?

Thanks a mill
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Double luggage allowance

Originally Posted by auds
Hi Guys

I've seen on this forum that you can get double the luggage allowance with Singapore Airlines if you have an unvalildated PR visa in your passport.

Has anyone managed to get double the allowance if you have provisional spouse visa? The visa label says you can stay in Oz until a decision is made on your PR application.

If I fly with Sinagapore, I'll need to get a flight from Dublin to Heathrow so might not be able to get double on that leg though

Thanks a mill
Worth a try, certainly. You'll need to explain to them that you have to emigrate on the PMV even though it is a temporary visa, and tell them it leads to PR but only once you have been in AUs for a while.
I got it years ago with Cathay (they don't offer double baggage at all now) but I did have to grovel a lot and send them loads of stuff from the DIAC site.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 4:16 pm
Happy Thought Producer

LoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really nice

Qantas do one called the 'migrant fare' and you need to call and check for it.
They also charge an extra £200 odd on top of the usual ticket price so it seems kinda redundant but thats the money grabbing swine at qantas these days.
Little wonder they were named most profitable airline!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Originally Posted by LoganT
Qantas do one called the 'migrant fare' and you need to call and check for it.
They also charge an extra £200 odd on top of the usual ticket price so it seems kinda redundant but thats the money grabbing swine at qantas these days.
Little wonder they were named most profitable airline!

Yep, but factor in how much it would cost you to ship an extra 20Kg at £35/Kg by paying excess baggage charges (£700)

That little bit extra that Quantas charge doesn't seem so bad afterall.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

BarryHargo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Thanks a mill
How does one go about claiming the double allowance? Have looked at prices on many site and no mention of double baggage allowance. Is this only if you book through their homesite where the prices are double that of the comparison sites?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Kryptonix will become famous soon enoughKryptonix will become famous soon enough

You can get 50kg with Emirates if on an unvalidated visa as that's what I'm doing. No idea if you can get that from Dublin though. That's going via movingplanet might be worth checking there if you haven't already?

Sorry I've no idea about getting double allowance on a provisional visa.

Last edited by Kryptonix; Mar 27th 2009 at 7:48 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

We get 4 x 23kg PER PERSON through Qantas on our migrant fare.....and it is a good fare price!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:57 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theotherphil
Yep, but factor in how much it would cost you to ship an extra 20Kg at £35/Kg by paying excess baggage charges (£700)

Better off sending it with someone like www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk . Its much cheaper than paying excess on the airline itself.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 1:02 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theotherphil

Qantas charge A$50/kg ex UK (eg currently about GBP24) so the price paid depends on the ex rate at the time. Fairly recently someone posted the price of the migrant fare vs the cheapest available economy seat at the time. The migrant fare was almost exactly the same as the cheap economy fare + the standard excess baggage charges!

If that's always the case then you would be better off just turning up at the airport and negotiating there...you may end up paying for less than the full excess.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 1:13 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by bcworld
Qantas charge A$50/kg ex UK (eg currently about GBP24) so the price paid depends on the ex rate at the time. Fairly recently someone posted the price of the migrant fare vs the cheapest available economy seat at the time. The migrant fare was almost exactly the same as the cheap economy fare + the standard excess baggage charges!

If that's always the case then you would be better off just turning up at the airport and negotiating there...you may end up paying for less than the full excess.
Be warned - Qantas in terminal 4 (Heathrow) have recently changed their check-in/handling agents. They used to use BA but when BA moved Terminal 5 they started using a private company. The company handles a lot of other airlines at Heathrow, and inside info tells me that they are very very strict on baggage as they get charged when they allow excess. So its a lot harder now to get excess amounts onto Qantas cheap...........

(at least my informant pre-warned me so I used the alternate route and shipped my shopping!!)
Old Mar 28th 2009, 1:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Be warned - Qantas in terminal 4 (Heathrow) have recently changed their check-in/handling agents. They used to use BA but when BA moved Terminal 5 they started using a private company. The company handles a lot of other airlines at Heathrow, and inside info tells me that they are very very strict on baggage as they get charged when they allow excess. So its a lot harder now to get excess amounts onto Qantas cheap...........

(at least my informant pre-warned me so I used the alternate route and shipped my shopping!!)
Fair dos....in that case then I wouldn't bother!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 1:25 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by bcworld
Fair dos....in that case then I wouldn't bother!
Yea, its not worth trying any more as unless you are very very lucky the answer is a straight no. They are even reluctant to carry excess if you are paying for it.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Thanks a mill
Hi,

When we moved over in July 2007 (I was on a provisional spouse visa at the time), I was given double the allowance. I think that they made an exception though as they got a fair bit of cash from us anyway for excess baggage charges.

ISTR that they only gave me double allowance and wouldn't give any extra to my fiancee as she's an Australian citizen. Pleas that she was returning home after 7 years in the UK fell on deaf ears.

Cheers

Steve
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
Hi,

When we moved over in July 2007 (I was on a provisional spouse visa at the time), I was given double the allowance. I think that they made an exception though as they got a fair bit of cash from us anyway for excess baggage charges.

ISTR that they only gave me double allowance and wouldn't give any extra to my fiancee as she's an Australian citizen. Pleas that she was returning home after 7 years in the UK fell on deaf ears.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks for that Steve. My OH (the aussie) will be flying a couple of weeks before me so theres probably no hope for him even though he has 6 years of stuff. I think he's going to pay extra as he wants to golf clubs and cricket gear to go with him...!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone else for the replies. I will call the various airlines on Monday and see what they'll give me. I'll let ye know if I end of with some amazing deal...or not!

Cheers

Auds