Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Double Garage - Convert to bedroom???

Double Garage - Convert to bedroom???

Old May 13th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Double Garage - Convert to bedroom???

I am a regular browser of Realestate.com and have just been checking out the latest offerings on the Gold Coast - Helensvale to Ormeau (ish) area.

As our house is on the market here with little interest and the exchange rate is really shitty I have moved from looking at 4/5 bed houses to 3 bed. Then the thought occurred (it takes a long time for this to happen in my fuddled brain): All these houses have 2 garages. We survive quite well here (UK) without a garage or a driveway so why not just by a 3 bed then convert a garage into a bedroom?

If you know of anybody else that has done this or know anything about building regulations etc that make it easy/difficult, please let me know.

By the way, we manage quite well without a pool and bar at the moment too, but thats non negotiable
Old May 14th 2008, 8:12 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Re: Double Garage - Convert to bedroom???

I haven't done it but know a few people who have so I guess its not impossible!
Old May 14th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. Didn't think I was going to get any!

I don't know much about planning permission etc and wondered if anyone on the forum could give advice. I know its something we will have to look into further when we get there but I look at the estate agent sites when I am fed up, so if I know we could realisitically buy a 3 bed and convert it would make me feel better
Old May 14th 2008, 8:45 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

What you will find here is that people do use their garages to keep their cars in, as the sun fades them etc..and the garages are big enough to drive into and get out of your car - not be a contorsionist like in the uk...
Weve seen some houses where the shed has been conveted into a rumpus/bedroom and they look great. Or where there is a huge carport people have then turned their garages into bedrooms/rumpuses as their cars are under cover inthe carports...
Old May 14th 2008, 8:52 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

We have a car port that we plan to convert (with an extension too) at some point

but we will have another car port put on the front to park under

It is do-able (well here in WA) but can cost a fair bit!!!!!
Old May 14th 2008, 8:54 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I know of a house that it has been done to near to where I live, but from the street it still looks like a garage

You really need to look at the local council as regulations will vary in different areas. Try their website as the regulations for our council can be downloaded, or contact them directly. Again, my local council has been v helpful when I enquired about properties (I looking at buying).
Old May 14th 2008, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

We had been (prematuely) house hunting.... but the house still hasn't sold..

There appear to be lots of options... converting part of a double garage is one (or the whole thing if you don't mind a hot faded car..)

The idea I really like is the small prefab studio in the back yard.. WHEN our house sells and WHEN we buy our own I'm planning on buying something that has a big enough space to have one of these in... then KEVIN can have her independence... own studio bedroom with shower/loo and cooking facilities and we can have a Teenagae free house... for a year til Kevin mark ll comes of age...
Old May 14th 2008, 8:58 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
We had been (prematuely) house hunting.... but the house still hasn't sold..

There appear to be lots of options... converting part of a double garage is one (or the whole thing if you don't mind a hot faded car..)

The idea I really like is the small prefab studio in the back yard.. WHEN our house sells and WHEN we buy our own I'm planning on buying something that has a big enough space to have one of these in... then KEVIN can have her independence... own studio bedroom with shower/loo and cooking facilities and we can have a Teenagae free house... for a year til Kevin mark ll comes of age...

then buy a place with enough land to put 2 on

we are having a new garage/shed in the back garden which we will convert to a teen retreat for the 'Kevin's'

the car port conversion is for me
Old May 14th 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Originally Posted by katsmajic
What you will find here is that people do use their garages to keep their cars in, as the sun fades them etc..and the garages are big enough to drive into and get out of your car - not be a contorsionist like in the uk...
Weve seen some houses where the shed has been conveted into a rumpus/bedroom and they look great. Or where there is a huge carport people have then turned their garages into bedrooms/rumpuses as their cars are under cover inthe carports...
When we were house hunting in Runaway bay area loads of older style properties had face lifts, which seemed to involve what you said about the carports. ie, converting garage then building carport roof and putting a big double garage door on it. Then they seemed to render over the old brickwork to match it in and paint the roof. Made a fortune some of them.

Sounds like a plan

Good luck with it all
Old May 14th 2008, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by flodsfive
When we were house hunting in Runaway bay area loads of older style properties had face lifts, which seemed to involve what you said about the carports. ie, converting garage then building carport roof and putting a big double garage door on it. Then they seemed to render over the old brickwork to match it in and paint the roof. Made a fortune some of them.

Sounds like a plan

Good luck with it all
Don't know if this will help as we're in Melbourne but:

we built our pool onto the driveway which meant we had no way of getting a car in the garage so we had it converted into a small living room and bedroom. It looks fantastic especially as it leads directly onto the pool.

We didn't need planning permission because it was internal but we did need a building permit for opening up doorways in the structural walls. Obviously it helped that the garage was integral.
Old May 14th 2008, 9:17 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sam
then buy a place with enough land to put 2 on

we are having a new garage/shed in the back garden which we will convert to a teen retreat for the 'Kevin's'

the car port conversion is for me
Ahhh so your one of those are you! We planned to have a beautiful landscaped back garden. Our neighbours have for want of a better description put up an aircraft hanger in their back garden. So instead of lying in bed looking at the garden and the pool we will see this bloody great monstrosity.

Why can't they be built at the side of the house were they are less obtrusive, some people might enjoy looking at horrible wooden or metal structures but I would rather look at trees and flowers.:curse:
Old May 14th 2008, 9:23 am
Sam
here and staying

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Ahhh so your one of those are you! We planned to have a beautiful landscaped back garden. Our neighbours have for want of a better description put up an aircraft hanger in their back garden. So instead of lying in bed looking at the garden and the pool we will see this bloody great monstrosity.

Why can't they be built at the side of the house were they are less obtrusive, some people might enjoy looking at horrible wooden or metal structures but I would rather look at trees and flowers.:curse:
ah but all i'm doing is replacing the old one for a new one

all i see as do my neighbours when we look out is trees, plants and some fencing

but a lot of it depends on how much space you have!!!!

My garage/shed is partly concealed by my orange tree which is staying
Old May 14th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RenShen
I am a regular browser of Realestate.com and have just been checking out the latest offerings on the Gold Coast - Helensvale to Ormeau (ish) area.

As our house is on the market here with little interest and the exchange rate is really shitty I have moved from looking at 4/5 bed houses to 3 bed. Then the thought occurred (it takes a long time for this to happen in my fuddled brain): All these houses have 2 garages. We survive quite well here (UK) without a garage or a driveway so why not just by a 3 bed then convert a garage into a bedroom?

If you know of anybody else that has done this or know anything about building regulations etc that make it easy/difficult, please let me know.

By the way, we manage quite well without a pool and bar at the moment too, but thats non negotiable
The conversion of garages to bedrooms is quite common on the Gold Coast. The issue in older houses can be waterproofing and concealed termite entry to the external walls.

WW
Old May 14th 2008, 2:28 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sam
ah but all i'm doing is replacing the old one for a new one

all i see as do my neighbours when we look out is trees, plants and some fencing

but a lot of it depends on how much space you have!!!!

My garage/shed is partly concealed by my orange tree which is staying
We have 1/2 acre and I think we will have to plant a mini forest to hide the monstrosity next door. Some sheds are taller than the houses. The houses are single story and the sheds are two high and 3 bays wide - hangers. You could get a light aircraft in them.

Sorry pet moan. Personally I don't see the need, but each to their own I suppose