Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Double check EVERYTHING before leaving!

Double check EVERYTHING before leaving!

Old Aug 17th 2004, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Double check EVERYTHING before leaving!

Someone once said on here that things go wrong, or break just before you leave? I 'thought' everything was going smoothly (I use that word carefully) until I phoned the airline today to book my kids meals. The nice bloke at Cathay Pacific sounded surprised when I requested fish fingers and chips times three as according to his screen "you have no children"! Ummmm? I looked around at my house covered in tiny handprints, toys, clothes and thought "did I really give birth three times, or was I somewhere else"? His screen told him that 5 tickets were booked, all adults.

The consequence is they've allocated us seats all over the plane! Little Ollie (aged 5) is right at the back all alone, my husband in the middle, my other two sons at the front and I'm somewhere inbetween! Well I wished the bloke good luck and told him that he could deal with a scared, clingy and crying 5 yr old (who has never flown before), while I enjoy the flight, away from the noise and chaos it'll cause! My other two will be just as bad as they're 7 and 8! I have to phone tomorrow to see whether they've sorted it all out!

Just glad I phoned and found out now rather than at Heathrow! Is my last week in the UK going to be sorting out niggly little problems? Just check everything before you leave!
Old Aug 17th 2004, 10:46 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Double check EVERYTHING before leaving!

Originally Posted by glittababe
Someone once said on here that things go wrong, or break just before you leave? I 'thought' everything was going smoothly (I use that word carefully) until I phoned the airline today to book my kids meals. The nice bloke at Cathay Pacific sounded surprised when I requested fish fingers and chips times three as according to his screen "you have no children"! Ummmm? I looked around at my house covered in tiny handprints, toys, clothes and thought "did I really give birth three times, or was I somewhere else"? His screen told him that 5 tickets were booked, all adults.

The consequence is they've allocated us seats all over the plane! Little Ollie (aged 5) is right at the back all alone, my husband in the middle, my other two sons at the front and I'm somewhere inbetween! Well I wished the bloke good luck and told him that he could deal with a scared, clingy and crying 5 yr old (who has never flown before), while I enjoy the flight, away from the noise and chaos it'll cause! My other two will be just as bad as they're 7 and 8! I have to phone tomorrow to see whether they've sorted it all out!

Just glad I phoned and found out now rather than at Heathrow! Is my last week in the UK going to be sorting out niggly little problems? Just check everything before you leave!

Bloody hell!!! poor you. I thought that Cathay were first rate as they have booked us all bulkhead seats LHR-HKG-ADL-HKG-LHR but now Im not so sure Think I will be phoning them first thing. Hope you get it sorted!
Lucy
xxx
Old Aug 17th 2004, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyb
Bloody hell!!! poor you. I thought that Cathay were first rate as they have booked us all bulkhead seats LHR-HKG-ADL-HKG-LHR but now Im not so sure Think I will be phoning them first thing. Hope you get it sorted!
Lucy
xxx
Hi Lucy,

We'll get it sorted, I feel sorry for Cathay as its not really their fault. Our travel agent didn't pass essential info on! They've now got to deal with the problem! I phone tomorrow to see what they've organised. Needless to say hubby is furious and the kids overheard convo and are now scared as they think they'll be on their own! My 7 yr old said to me "But what if someone nicks me cos you're not there?" Poor kid. i think the threat of the stewardesses having to deal with the problems it'll cause will force Cathay to sort something! Fingers crossed hey? Let you know how it goes.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 11:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you pay for five adult tickets?
Old Aug 17th 2004, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Did you pay for five adult tickets?
Nope 2 adults 3 kids! On my booking form it clearly says Master next to the boys name's? These things are sent to try us?
Old Aug 17th 2004, 11:24 pm
rudo1ph

Oh this is my worst nightmare on flights!!! I have heard so often about them sitting families apart from each other. WHY?? I mean planes are quite big, so surely they can switch a few single travellers around to ensure families are together!

I am flying to the UK with my 3 children (2, 5 and 8) alone in a few weeks and oh boy will I "create" if they dare to try and put my 8 year old away from us!!!!

Hope they get it sorted for you. I find tears work quite well usually

Rudi

Old Aug 18th 2004, 12:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
Oh this is my worst nightmare on flights!!! I have heard so often about them sitting families apart from each other. WHY?? I mean planes are quite big, so surely they can switch a few single travellers around to ensure families are together!
Most 'single travellers' who have paid for their seats and checked in early, are not going to be thrilled to be moved. Especially if the destination seat is a middle one!!

That's not to say one would refuse if children had to be reallocated seats close to family, but the traveller concerned might be hopping mad with the airline and refuse to fly with them again.

Of course, problems like this are often fixed by finding the 'single traveller' a nice seat in business or first class

Jeremy
Old Aug 18th 2004, 12:41 am
rudo1ph

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most 'single travellers' who have paid for their seats and checked in early, are not going to be thrilled to be moved. Especially if the destination seat is a middle one!!

That's not to say one would refuse if children had to be reallocated seats close to family, but the traveller concerned might be hopping mad with the airline and refuse to fly with them again.

Of course, problems like this are often fixed by finding the 'single traveller' a nice seat in business or first class

Jeremy
HMMM But I think being moved to a middle seat would be more preferable than being sat next to an hysterical child for 7 hours........

But it shouldn't happen!!! WHY?? WHY?? I have never understood how airline just do not automatically book seats together for family groups.....is it really so hard?!

Rudi

Old Aug 18th 2004, 12:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
There's no way an airline would split up a family with small kids.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 1:33 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
There's no way an airline would split up a family with small kids.
Not even if we pay a little extra?
Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rudo1ph

I am flying to the UK with my 3 children (2, 5 and 8) alone in a few weeks and oh boy will I "create" if they dare to try and put my 8 year old away from us!!!!

Hope they get it sorted for you. I find tears work quite well usually

Rudi
Oh trust me the tears will flow at check in if its not sorted! Not just from me but from all three kids too!
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:30 am
Just Joined

clop is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Double check EVERYTHING before leaving!

Originally Posted by glittababe
Oh trust me the tears will flow at check in if its not sorted! Not just from me but from all three kids too!
Heh heh.

Actually this scenario once worked extremely well for me. I boarded a plane to San Francisco and fastened my seatbelt. The lady passenger next to me asked if I would like to swap seats with her husband who had been seated far away from her on the plane. I agreed and moved to his seat, fastened my seatbelt then felt something sticking in my bum. Further investigation revealed a £130 Mont Blanc pen with solid gold clip down the back of his seat, still in its wrapper - the pen was featured in the plane's onboard shopping brochure so I guess it had been left behind by someone on an earlier flight! Kerching!!

clop