Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Double baggage allowance??!!

Double baggage allowance??!!

Old Oct 9th 2003, 8:52 am
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Double baggage allowance??!!

What sort of things are people taking with them on the flight to Oz to need double baggage allowance??
Most of my stuff is going in the container. Which incidently is coming Tuesday! :scared:
Ive got the 40kg per person allowance, but so far only taking clothes to last me first few months, and I aint got many of those! (Chucking out all me woolies before I go!) Taking the bits for babe, pram, travel cot, etc. And a few toys for the kids but what else is there??

Am I missing something huge here?
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:02 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Double baggage allowance??!!

Originally posted by teresa.c

We'll be taking

DVD's
Playstation 2 + games
Body boards
Dinghy
Plenty of clothes
Laptop
CD's

We plan to do a bit of travelling before really settling down so its really a lot of stuff to keep the kids entertained.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:08 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Double baggage allowance??!!

What sort of things are people taking with them on the flight to Oz to need double baggage allowance??
Most of my stuff is going in the container. Which incidently is coming Tuesday! :scared:
Ive got the 40kg per person allowance, but so far only taking clothes to last me first few months, and I aint got many of those! (Chucking out all me woolies before I go!) Taking the bits for babe, pram, travel cot, etc. And a few toys for the kids but what else is there??

Yes! A huge clothes and shoe collection! I had to air freight 2 huge kit bags as well as my baggage allowance - couldn't bear to part with any of it or afford to replace it!
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

HBgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

All the essential paperwork.

Birth certs
Bank statements
References

ect

A small file of photos (so if the continer went overboard have a few left)

:scared:

couple of bottles of 'keeping' booze, so we didnt have to declare it in the shipping.

my jewellery (handluggage)

Clothes

Thats a start....
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I can get to nearly 30 kilos when I've just been over on holiday, so I shall need every gram of those 40 kgs.

Taking enough clothes to last three months - and bearing in mind I shall be trying to get a job, I can't just live in t-shirts. Plus I have to take all my stuff for the wedding in january, and all the visa paperwork to apply for the residence visa - can't risk that being stuck on a ship somewhere when i need to apply for it in February!
Back-up discs with all the computer files on, also favourite CDs & books, just a few to keep me going, and a selection of cuddly toys (they drew lots for the honour!). oh and a small photo album, and letters from The Bloke!

Hope Cathay Pacific tolerate a lot of hand luggage.....
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:18 am
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HBgirl
All the essential paperwork.

Birth certs
Bank statements
References

ect

A small file of photos (so if the continer went overboard have a few left)

:scared:

couple of bottles of 'keeping' booze, so we didnt have to declare it in the shipping.

my jewellery (handluggage)

Clothes

Thats a start....
All the essential paperwork and my few bits of jewellry Im taking in my hand luggage. As well as the disks that we have downloaded all our computer stuff on!

A few photos may be a good idea.

But all the clothes, toys to keep the kids busy, etc is no where near 140kg which is what we have got as a family!!!
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:23 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice
Cool Re: Double baggage allowance??!!

Whilst on the subject, Singapore Airways will double allowance from 20 to 40 kg if you are emigrating and have oneway ticket, however when I enquired this is only to OZ not NZ

Cheers Kev.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:33 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
I can get to nearly 30 kilos when I've just been over on holiday, so I shall need every gram of those 40 kgs.

Taking enough clothes to last three months - and bearing in mind I shall be trying to get a job, I can't just live in t-shirts. Plus I have to take all my stuff for the wedding in january, and all the visa paperwork to apply for the residence visa - can't risk that being stuck on a ship somewhere when i need to apply for it in February!
Back-up discs with all the computer files on, also favourite CDs & books, just a few to keep me going, and a selection of cuddly toys (they drew lots for the honour!). oh and a small photo album, and letters from The Bloke!

Hope Cathay Pacific tolerate a lot of hand luggage.....
I am dreading Mrs BPs baggage on the way back from hols next month. I pulled my back yesterday and could hardly get out of bed this morning. At least the cases are going to be empty on the way over.

Has anyone who has flown with JAL got away with going of the weight limit?
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Yep forgot the disks....

Have also left a copy of the computers contents in the my dad's safe as well.

I WILL be pushing weight with Clothes though as my darling Hubby tells anyone who will listen...
Im the girl that sent 16 pairs of shoes and 12 handbags in the shipping after clearing out more than half what i had

As I tell himm......its not 2 bags each, its one for him and 3 for me
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:42 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HBgirl
Yep forgot the disks....

Have also left a copy of the computers contents in the my dad's safe as well.

I WILL be pushing weight with Clothes though as my darling Hubby tells anyone who will listen...
Im the girl that sent 16 pairs of shoes and 12 handbags in the shipping after clearing out more than half what i had

As I tell himm......its not 2 bags each, its one for him and 3 for me
Him should tell you 1 bag for me to carry and 3 for you to carry.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

He has.... several times
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:47 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

When we go back to Oz, I shall be the only one with a visa as my other half is an aussie...will he get double baggage allowance too?

We've been living over here for 3 years so he's going to have as much stuff as me, if not more (he's a kleptomaniac). We'll both have one-way tickets, but he won't have a visa, obviously...anyone know what the deal is in this situation?
Old Oct 9th 2003, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Bundy,

I was under the impression the extra allowance is for the Visa rather than the one way ticket.

I was told that i needed to have unused visas to qualify.

I booked my flight through a deal between Qantus and the Comm bank.

I think you would just have to make very clear what you wanted when looking for the tickets.

HB
Old Oct 9th 2003, 11:33 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I've got a huge problem....

I have 30kgs (singair would only give me an extra 10 as im on a 2 yr provisional VISA).

In the 30kgs....i am taking 22kgs of camera gear!! :scared:

I am paring down on socks
Old Oct 9th 2003, 11:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Pete,
Put the heaviest stuff in the bags you are taking as hand luggage. Also, when you check in, if there is anyone with you qho is not flying, make sure you leave your hand luggage with them - then the check in staff won't see whether it is heavy/bulky. If the worst comes to the worst and at the gate they won't let you carry it on, then it will just go in last with the buggys and wheelchairs, and you collect it from the ground crew the other end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.