Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

doortodoor sellers/jehovas witnesses

doortodoor sellers/jehovas witnesses

Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:13 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default doortodoor sellers/jehovas witnesses

one for the folks in Oz-
do you get loads of door to door sellers, and jehovas witnesses (no offence intended) knocking on your doors in Oz? We have had someone drumming up trade for a karate club and 2 lovely old dears from the loca kingdom hall round today....a light day!
just wondering

sue
Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:15 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: doortodoor sellers/jehovas witnesses

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
one for the folks in Oz-
do you get loads of door to door sellers, and jehovas witnesses (no offence intended) knocking on your doors in Oz? We have had someone drumming up trade for a karate club and 2 lovely old dears from the loca kingdom hall round today....a light day!
just wondering

sue
Have had all sorts - JWs/salesmen the works, and it feels like loads more than the UK. But that is just an impression. I am sure like most it depends on the areas you live.

Cheers
Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:18 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

do you get loads of door to door sellers, and jehovas witnesses (no offence intended) knocking on your doors in Oz?
Only lots of pom refugees asking for advice...
Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:22 pm
ABCDiamond

In the last 13 months we have had 1 Jehovas Witness group , 1 from the local Neighbourhood Watch, 1 from the local YMCA setting up a kids club, and lost count of the Real Estate Agents asking if we wanted to sell the house !

Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:31 pm
aussie73

A large, nasty looking dog should solve your problem.

Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:33 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Knock Knock!
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:21 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

one for the folks in Oz-
just wondering

sue

Yes - when I was living at deadcliffe, I was plagued with the god squad - they were a real pain. Where we are now, we are plagued with local politicians (don't know which is worse)
Phone sellers are a pain here - used to a load of calls every night when my number wasn't private, since going private - no more.

There was a funny thread months back , where "pommieshelia" gave us advice on how to get rid of them - she said when they ring, she told them "hang on - I'll just get my husband as he'll be interested in this" then she would go and make some dinner, eat her dinner - etc, etc - and leave the caller hanging on the end of the line for ages, until they got bored of waiting and they would hang up - she did the same with the god squad - used to leave them standing at the door for ages on end (until they b**ggered off) while she pretended to get her husband

We don't get a prob with them now, but it may have something to do with our big devil door knocker we put up - tends to scare them off.(I'm serious)

Cheers
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:25 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

one for the folks in Oz-
just wondering

sue

Mate gets Jehovas in Bundy, hes got a rifle and instructs them to go away, now all he gets are jehovas bystanders they witness fkall with him around !! lol
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:55 pm
Badge

These witnesses aren't a bad bunch really. They used to come around when I was about 15. I would normally not give them much time, but the daughter of one of these jokers had a great rack, so I used to look forward to their visits and have a good old perve. And she was always on high beam big time.

Badge

Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

We nearly got into a punch up with them They came door knocking when we lived in an estate in Bris, not sure which team they were on .But this day it was like 40 degrees and these people had the kids with them all dressed up in frilly clothes, shirts ties no water with them nothing. Anyway husband opens the door and lets rip about child abuse, cant say I blame him the poor kids were in hell. Gave them water bottles etc and told them to get the kids home.

Anyway an hour later he goes down the shop and there still at it, mid day sun, kids age about 4 and 6, so he comes back and calls the police. Police none too impressed rang us back said they got a warning and carted off home.

As for getting rid of phone or door knockers, just say you are going back to the UK next week, works every time.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:43 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Had some godsquadders around the other day, not sure which branch they were from - told them I was an aetheist but that just seemed to spur them on and they started asking whether I believed in (the widely accepted theory of) evolution as they didn't
Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:57 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Perhaps Australia should take the Singapore stand: It's illegal to door knock and tout things such as religion. Jehovah is actually a banned religion over there.. We had a Chinese guy in working for us when we were in Sing , he got arrested one night for holding a Jehovah meeting at his house. He was a practicing Jehovah witness - but risked be arrested - which happened one night . He got locked up overnight .. I'm not quit sure what happened then, but he had a court case to attend.. never did find out what happened, as we left sing not long after this occurred.

I always feel sorry for the kiddies too - they are dragged around by parents wearing their frilly dresses, boys in suits door knocking - should be banned .

Brainwashing.

It should be the choice of the child - ie make their own choices about their beliefs when they are old enough.

I can't see the difference between these terrorist groups brain washing children and some of these western religions brainwashing them too.

cheers

disclaimer - I believe you have the right of freedom of religion - but I also believe I have the right -, everybody has the right to believe in their beliefs
I respect people and their beliefs - but what I find is offensive is when they preach to others - forcing their beliefs on you. ( I come from a religious family - but I chose my own path, non believer - ie it was never forced upon me by my parents)
Old Feb 16th 2004, 2:12 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely depends where you live, we used to get God Botherers occasionally in Loganlea, but havent had a single one since we moved. Ah the joys of living on acreage .
Old Feb 16th 2004, 4:26 am
Badge

Righto Mrs D, I know where you live. I'll be over right away to preach to you then.

Badge

:lecture:

Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

We've lived in our place for 3 years now, and never once had a pesky door-to-door knocker, but I think that's because they don't get the desired effect by pressing apartment buzzers

Once you've got the door open to someone it's often hard to close it, but when you're speaker to one of the plonkers over an intercom it would be a doddle to get rid of them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.