Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Door to Port only

Door to Port only

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice
Default Door to Port only

Hi

Only a couple of weeks left now before we fly, everything is sold boxes collected by freight forwarding and staying with in-laws for last week or so.

Has anyone had experience of just using door to port services.

We paid only for door to port as we don't have a perm address and was told that we then contact the agent and pay for clearance and delivery at the other end, it should work out cheaper apparently too

Just wondered whether anyone else has done this, how easy it was to organise and how much they charge to clear and deliver...

More importantly is it easy quick and simple to get hold of your stuff or should I be worried????

Thanks guys, yet again last minute query that has been on my mind.

Its with the forum and everyones assistance that we are nearly there and prepared for most thing

Jo
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:18 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Door to Port only

Originally Posted by jossy
Hi

Only a couple of weeks left now before we fly, everything is sold boxes collected by freight forwarding and staying with in-laws for last week or so.

Has anyone had experience of just using door to port services.

We paid only for door to port as we don't have a perm address and was told that we then contact the agent and pay for clearance and delivery at the other end, it should work out cheaper apparently too

Just wondered whether anyone else has done this, how easy it was to organise and how much they charge to clear and deliver...

More importantly is it easy quick and simple to get hold of your stuff or should I be worried????

Thanks guys, yet again last minute query that has been on my mind.

Its with the forum and everyones assistance that we are nearly there and prepared for most thing

Jo

I can't say if a whole container is easy, but getting a single box through was a nightmare!

We had a concrete statue sent out from the UK: it arrived at Port Botany on time. We went to pick it up: we went to the agent & the agent sent us to the customs house at the airport - they had moved so we drove back to within 500 yds of the agent, where they now were. The customs said they couldn't do anything since the item wasn't yet on their computer. We created a bit and it appeared on the computer!

Customs then sent us somewhere else 15 km away to sign and pay. Then, armed with a bit of paper we had to go back to the agent, pay some more and get another bit of bumph. Then back along the same route to the warehouse where we collected the box.

The whole thing took the best part of a day, cost several hundred $$ and entailed around 100Km back and forth excluding the drive up to Sydney.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:23 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I paid for door to door service so can't help you I am afraid, and I also only have 17 boxes going.

Even with that amount, I didn't fancy having to organise delivery and customs etc. SO that is why I paid for door to door.

Good Luck
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
I paid for door to door service so can't help you I am afraid, and I also only have 17 boxes going.

Even with that amount, I didn't fancy having to organise delivery and customs etc. SO that is why I paid for door to door.

Good Luck
Thanks guys, can understand but they refused without an address for delivery.

I'm a bit stuck as I have had to send the 16 boxes that way just have to hope when it gets to Perth it will be a simple process, not so sure though
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:30 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossy
Thanks guys, can understand but they refused without an address for delivery.

I'm a bit stuck as I have had to send the 16 boxes that way just have to hope when it gets to Perth it will be a simple process, not so sure though
I am going to Perth too. Who you sending with? I am currently waiting for my boxes to be delivered by Seven Seas.

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
I am going to Perth too. Who you sending with? I am currently waiting for my boxes to be delivered by Seven Seas.

Hiya

I used Advance Forwarding (recommendation and they were lovely) they only went last week so will be a while before everything gets there, just trying to understand what I have to do

Cheers for the response, good luck with your personal bits and pieces

Jo