Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't use your laptop in the lounge or bedroom

Don't use your laptop in the lounge or bedroom

Old May 19th 2009, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Don't use your laptop in the lounge or bedroom

Well, Ihave a Toshiba laptop that is under warranty and it keeps turning itself off. Toshiba gave me the number for the local service centre who I called. They informed me that it sounded like I had fluff inside my machine, and this was because I had probably been using it in the bedroom, on the sofa and near carpets. He also added that this was not covered by warranty and i would have to pay $150 for him to clean it
Very strange
Old May 19th 2009, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice
Default Re: Don't use your laptop in the lounge or bedroom

I have a toshiba too and mine kept gettin really hot and turning off, i blew really hard in the air vent bits and lots of fluff flew out and its been a lot better since!
Old May 19th 2009, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

Where you meant to use it then, on the toilet, or maybe in the bath, whilst its plugged into the mains.lol

What a load of ****.

Ask him to send you a copy of the warranty, stating it shouldnt be used in bedroom or lounge.

Think they are trying to get some dosh out of you!lol
Old May 19th 2009, 3:31 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Get your Dyson, clean all the vents and the machine generally. Usually its just a superficial build up of dust preventing proper ventilation.
Old May 19th 2009, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Get your Dyson, clean all the vents and the machine generally. Usually its just a superficial build up of dust preventing proper ventilation.
Will a regular vacuum cleaner suffice? Its a Miele, but its not bagless, and I don't think its cyclonic either . . . oh crumbles I do hate technology . . .
Old May 19th 2009, 4:41 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Will a regular vacuum cleaner suffice? Its a Miele, but its not bagless, and I don't think its cyclonic either . . . oh crumbles I do hate technology . . .
yeah - any vacuum. Just the one with the best suction you have. Just make sure its not on and you can always use the brush attachment thingie. All your really trying to do is clear dust and stuff from the vents. There are usually vents at various points in the case, just clean them all and see how you go from there.
Old May 19th 2009, 4:52 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

You can also use a powerful hairdryer to blow the dust away
Old May 19th 2009, 5:20 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Ermmm - before you all take vacuum cleaners or hair dryers to your laptops, can I just point out one teensy-weensy thing. The fan on the other side of the vent that you are attempting to clear sits on a tiddly little motor. If you spin that fan up, by using a vacuum cleaner or hair dryer you can burn the motor out in a matter of seconds. Just thought you all ought to know.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:24 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Ermmm - before you all take vacuum cleaners or hair dryers to your laptops, can I just point out one teensy-weensy thing. The fan on the other side of the vent that you are attempting to clear sits on a tiddly little motor. If you spin that fan up, by using a vacuum cleaner or hair dryer you can burn the motor out in a matter of seconds. Just thought you all ought to know.
correct. to be safe, just take it outside and bang it on the drive so the dust is removed without damage to the fan.
just take care not to trap your fingers
Old May 19th 2009, 5:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
You can also use a powerful hairdryer to blow the dust away
I second blowing as oppose to using a vacuum cleaner!

Cool air.

Search for laptop cleaning and do what you are comfortable doing.

Definitely don't pay!! $150 for 10mins!!!

Ian
Old May 19th 2009, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
yeah - any vacuum. Just the one with the best suction you have. Just make sure its not on and you can always use the brush attachment thingie.
Crumbles . . now I really am confused. As the vacuum's not on, can I not just use the brush attachment thingie unattached to the vacuum? In my hand, freestyle, so to speak.
Old May 19th 2009, 6:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Build an extension with air tight locking doors. Furnish said extension with one table, one wooden chair, lino flooring, extraction fan and only use the lap top in there. Sorted. May cost more than $150 but better safe than sorry.
Old May 19th 2009, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ebo1608

Ian
Keep your mucky thoughts to yourself please. There may be children present.
Old May 19th 2009, 6:23 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Crumbles . . now I really am confused. As the vacuum's not on, can I not just use the brush attachment thingie unattached to the vacuum? In my hand, freestyle, so to speak.
Did you read what I said? Just up there? About not taking a vacuum cleaner or hair dryer to your laptop?

*slaps head*
Old May 19th 2009, 6:24 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by ebo1608

Cool air.

Search for laptop cleaning and do what you are comfortable doing.

Ian
Whether you blow or suck (so to speak) you will bugger up the motor on your laptop's main vent fan. And it'll cost a lot more than $150 to put that right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.