Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't read this if you hate flying!

Don't read this if you hate flying!

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:48 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't read this if you hate flying!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...7-1245,00.html

Passengers in plane plunge
August 02, 2005

PASSENGERS panicked and a flight attendant prayed after a plane plunged 200m forcing the pilots to fly back to Perth for an emergency landing.
About 200 passengers were on board the Malaysian Airlines flight to Kuala Lumpur which was forced to return to Perth International Airport after the plane experienced problems about 40 minutes into the journey.

<edited for copyright reasons. See rules in FAQ>

Last edited by bondipom; Aug 3rd 2005 at 8:12 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:00 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't read this if you hate flying!

Is there any way you can walk from uk to aus????

scary stuff! :scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:25 am
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Just wonderful..............not. :scared: We are off to Brisbane with Malaysian airlines on Thursday, looks like we will be having a few of these before we fly, and knowing our luck it will be the same plane :scared: :scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:29 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Renth, I know you said not to look if you are scared of flying but human nature kicks in and you just have to look,
Sarah
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:24 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

He he, what a story hey?!!

Some guy on the radio was saying he kept writing in his journal what was happening, and a note for his girlfriend.

Mmmm, don't think I'll tell my parents and brother about this
They're flying out to Perth tomorrow, not with Malaysian though, but still.
Anyway, they'll have it hard enough: mum was VERY sick on the last 2 flights she did to Perth (2001), though now has tablets to knock her out, and dad's back is stuffed, since packing the container last week and all the stress etc.....
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:57 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thats ridiculous, what a waste of a tray of drinks.

I bet you wouldn't get British Airways staff dropping their tray of drinks.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:06 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Cheery reading that

But to all those scared of flying - lets remember that statistically you have more chance of being killed on the way into work this morning than this happening to you.

Air travel is still the safest form of transport
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:06 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

PMSL. Very good, Bordy!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:37 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...7-1245,00.html

Passengers in plane plunge
August 02, 2005

PASSENGERS panicked and a flight attendant prayed after a plane plunged 200m forcing the pilots to fly back to Perth for an emergency landing.
About 200 passengers were on board the Malaysian Airlines flight to Kuala Lumpur which was forced to return to Perth International Airport after the plane experienced problems about 40 minutes into the journey.

Passengers panicked after one flight attendant dropped a tray of drinks and another began praying.

Kim Holst, who had never flown before, said the plane began shuddering violently and dropping more than a hundred metres at a time over a period of about 90 seconds.

Staff appealed for passengers to ensure all electrical equipment was turned off because they were experiencing interference with the systems, Mr Holst said.

"When the flight attendant dropped an entire tray of drinks and was crawling on his hands and knees back to his seat and the other flight attendant was praying, that's when most of us began to take it a bit more seriously," he said on ABC radio today.

Advertisement:
Other people on board the flight were screaming and upset, he said.

"It was my first flight and I actually didn't realise it was that big a deal, but when I started looking around at the people who had travelled a bit and they were all clutching their seats ... they were like 'oh my God, this is not right," Mr Holst said.

A West Australian police spokesman said the pilots reported instrumentation problems and a full emergency response was waiting for the Boeing 747 when it returned to Perth yesterday.

"Officers from Westralia Airports confirmed the aircraft landed safely," a police spokesman said.

Mr Holst said the passengers all cheered when the plane touched down about 5.30pm (WST) without further incident.

Mr Holst said he would fly to Malaysia this afternoon, but other passengers had missed connections to destinations including China and France.
Hmmmmmmmm..........is it possible to cruise to Australia?!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bordy
Thats ridiculous, what a waste of a tray of drinks.

I bet you wouldn't get British Airways staff dropping their tray of drinks.
The least they could do is ask if you'd like to suck the carpet !
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cadman

I am BA crew and whenever I drop trays of drinks it's the crew who try to suck the carpet!!!!!!!

Suzy
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadman
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:34 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzy
I am BA crew and whenever I drop trays of drinks it's the crew who try to suck the carpet!!!!!!!

Suzy

That explains why my best mate is such an alchie, then!! She flys longahul out of LHR too!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucyb
That explains why my best mate is such an alchie, then!! She flys longahul out of LHR too!
Don't tell everyone our secrets!

BTW I'm s/haul.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:42 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

We pilots get on the simulator every 6 months to train for these kind of events and other types of emergencies, it's rare but it does happen, something’s in aviation cannot be predicted even with the best technology around, but rest assured that flying is the most safe way of travelling, planes were designed to handle several types of turbulence to the limit and pilots do the best to avoid turbulent areas so does the technology available, hence why these events are rare.

I have some photos of weather radars available to pilots in the flightdeck, im not at home at the moment, but I’ll promise tomorrow I will upload some photos so you all can rest assured about flying, so when you go through turbulence, don’t fight it, just go with the ride, think rollercoaster hehehe

AND ALWAYS HAVE YOUR SEATBELT ON!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.