Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't pay a recruitment agency to find you a job.

Don't pay a recruitment agency to find you a job.

Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:48 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Don't pay a recruitment agency to find you a job.

Seems that a few people have lost money with a couple of NZ recruitment agencies and there has been a bit of discussion about it on the NZ forum.

There is also a possibility that some people have been less than truthful by not declaring their interests when recommending companies to third parties.

Here are the links

Agency Scams

Beware of recruitment agencies

Just wanted to highlight this issue incase anyone is tempted to part with cash up-front in the hope of being found a job abroad, only to then find themselves out of pocket and with no job to go to.

In the UK I think it is illegal for an agency to charge a job seeker a fee for finding them a job, normal practice is for the recruiter to charge the employer for finding them a successful placement. I presume the same rules apply in NZ and Australia.

What happens in NZ is bound to happen elsewhere in the world, fore-warned is fore-armed peeps. Be interested to hear if anyone has already fallen foul of something like this.

Last edited by Nerine; Mar 13th 2008 at 12:58 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Don't pay a recruitment agency to find you a job.

Cheers Nerine,

Really good of you to post this on Oz forum.

Hopefully prevent others being conned.

Jill
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:08 am

It would seem these people were mostly focusing on the UK truckers seeking to migrate to NZ, but I understand that one of them used to live in Australia so I guess there is a chance that they could pull a similar stunt here.

Perhaps something to bear in mind when visiting advice websites, up coming Expos etc.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:05 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

It never crossed my mind that anyone would pay a recruitment agency. They normally get their fee from the company they are recruiting for.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't pay a recruitment agency to find you a job.

True story

A friend of mine (nice chap) employed the services of an agency for a job from South Africa to NZ in IT.

Everything seemed above board, the agency, for a huge fee (NZ$5000) arranged an interview with a well known NZ IT Company.

My friend checked out the web site, correct address, did some background research on the company and all above board.

He arrived in NZ, leaving his family in SA to wind up their affairs there, with a suitcase full of clothes and literally a few hundred dollars to his name, all that he could afford to bring as the rand v $ was very poor.

He stayed in a backpackers sharing a room with about 10 great unwashed.

At the due date and time he arrived at the company address, yes it was there, but...........they knew nothing of him.

There was no interview arranged and the company had never heard of the recruitment agency in question.

Likewise when my somewhat trusting friend tried to contact the agency they had done a runner.

My friend had a very hard lesson.

Fortunately he managed to find a temporary job as a barman and then a job in IT, bought his family over from SA and is now very happily content in NZ.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
True story

A friend of mine (nice chap) employed the services of an agency for a job from South Africa to NZ in IT.

Everything seemed above board, the agency, for a huge fee (NZ$5000) arranged an interview with a well known NZ IT Company.

My friend checked out the web site, correct address, did some background research on the company and all above board.

He arrived in NZ, leaving his family in SA to wind up their affairs there, with a suitcase full of clothes and literally a few hundred dollars to his name, all that he could afford to bring as the rand v $ was very poor.

He stayed in a backpackers sharing a room with about 10 great unwashed.

At the due date and time he arrived at the company address, yes it was there, but...........they knew nothing of him.

There was no interview arranged and the company had never heard of the recruitment agency in question.

Likewise when my somewhat trusting friend tried to contact the agency they had done a runner.

My friend had a very hard lesson.

Fortunately he managed to find a temporary job as a barman and then a job in IT, bought his family over from SA and is now very happily content in NZ.
There has been a lot of this kind of scam in SA as many people are desparate to get out of there. Saffas are pretty gullible too - apart from me.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:14 am

Not just us Brits then that get taken for a ride .