Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dont no where to live in oz

dont no where to live in oz

Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:05 am
Just Joined

babycake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dont no where to live in oz

im moving to oz next year with my partner and 2 children one of 16 and one of 4 we are just waiting for my daugher to leave school.As i was born over there i just need to get my passport from london which im getting in october. The thing is i dont no where to move to as i left there when i was 3 and have never been back and it costs so much for a holiday. I havent got a clue what to do when i get over there to find jobs or how to get a house.

any help would be great thanks
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:12 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dont no where to live in oz

Originally Posted by babycake
im moving to oz next year with my partner and 2 children one of 16 and one of 4 we are just waiting for my daugher to leave school.As i was born over there i just need to get my passport from london which im getting in october. The thing is i dont no where to move to as i left there when i was 3 and have never been back and it costs so much for a holiday. I havent got a clue what to do when i get over there to find jobs or how to get a house.

any help would be great thanks
What are employed in at the moment and what qualifications do you have? Is there anywhere that you prefer to go? BTW, have you got a visa yet?

Last edited by The Bloke; Sep 17th 2009 at 10:14 am.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:20 am
Just Joined

im a childminder and have a NVQ3 and my partner has just done level 3 in networking. As for my visas i havent got them yet i have been told to get my passport first then get visas, but i keep getting told diffrent things.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

im a childminder and have a NVQ3 and my partner has just done level 3 in networking. As for my visas i havent got them yet i have been told to get my passport first then get visas, but i keep getting told diffrent things.
Having a passport won't make any difference if you don't qualify for a visa. Have a look at www.immi.gov,au and make sure you are eligible for one first
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:26 am
ABCDiamond

As for my visas i havent got them yet i have been told to get my passport first then get visas, but i keep getting told diffrent things.
You said you were born in Australia.
Do you have an Australian passport ?
and if so what about your children ?

It may just be your partner that needs a Spouse Visa.

Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Im booked in to go to london in october to get my passport and then the kids are getting there's. i think then i have to get my partner a visa like you said, i have been told it will only take about 6 weeks
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Bloke
What are employed in at the moment and what qualifications do you have? Is there anywhere that you prefer to go? BTW, have you got a visa yet?
im a chidminder with a NVQ3 and my partner has just past his level 3 networking. I was thinking about moving to maybe melbourne or brisbane just depends on what jobs we can get
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Im booked in to go to london in october to get my passport and then the kids are getting there's. i think then i have to get my partner a visa like you said, i have been told it will only take about 6 weeks
Ahhh, so you're an Aussie getting him a Spouse visa? Makes the actual migration thing a lot easier then
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:42 am
Just Joined

so i have been told, just hope it works out that way.
do you no how to go about renting houses, can you do it before you get there or do you have to wait till you are there.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

do you no how to go about renting houses, can you do it before you get there or do you have to wait till you are there.
You can rent a house through one of the relocation companies, we used one for a few weeks, they can help with showing you round etc as well. Before that I'd be reading and trawling the internet for information on all the states to see which you like and which you can rule out. Visit www.realestate.com.au to get a feel for house prices in areas, this may be a deciding factor on where you choose as well as looking at jobs etc online for yor and/or hubby.

Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

thanks i will have a look at that later.
we were trying not to sell are house in the uk we wanted to rent it out, how long do you have to work for in oz before they will give you a mortgage and what do you do about your credit rating.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:41 am
ABCDiamond

thanks i will have a look at that later.
we were trying not to sell are house in the uk we wanted to rent it out, how long do you have to work for in oz before they will give you a mortgage and what do you do about your credit rating.
Credit rating is not the same here. No rating = clean.

Each bank is different on mortgages, but some will offer a mortgage as soon as you get a job.

I would rent first though, till you get an idea on exactly where to buy.

Many people get short term furnished for a few weeks, while looking for a long term unfurnished place in the right location to begin with.
The cost of this can vary between $365 and $1,000 pw or more...
The $365 one I have quoted, is normally $710 pw week, but they reduce it for longer periods, maybe 13 weeks ?

Take account of how long your furniture will take to arrive, as to how long to stay in furnished accommodation.

Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:04 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Most decide to rent a cabin in a holiday park in the very begining while they look at areas and rental houses, sometimes they offer discounts when you stay for more than a week or 2.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

kangy is a jewel in the roughkangy is a jewel in the roughkangy is a jewel in the roughkangy is a jewel in the rough

I'm in the same boat as you, born in perth, moved back to the uk age 6 and never been back. I'm looking to move to melbourne next year all being well. Got my aussie passport last year, took about 2 weeks after appointment in london, and was told my kids have got automatic citizenship and i had to sponsor my wife.

p.s Passport pics different to uk ones, got kids ones from chester.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 7:55 am
Just Joined

hi its nice to no im not on my own,i just hope that what ive been told by london is right, they said because i was born in oz in 1975 i still have my citizenship so just need to get my passport. you said that you got the photoes done at chester so do you near there?. thanks for the help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.