Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't Forget Mum

Wikiposts

Don't Forget Mum

Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:35 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Forget Mum

Hi Sam. I am no good with this soppy stuff so I will try another angle.

We spend so much of our lives seeing our parents as a rock supporting us that it comes as quite a shock when we first see them with any fragility. Most of us also face the prospect of receiving calls once we are living in Ausrtalia telling us one of our family is ill. I don't think there is anything you can do to prepare for that.

I took all of this into account before making the decision to go which is why it took me 18 months. We owe so much to our parents that we will never be able to repay them. You shouldn't think of emigration as letting them down, you have your own family now and have to put them first. I am sure they understand that. You just have to be strong and go with what you believe in.

By the way, following your open letter thread I started my own weblog (you may recall) and my mum and dad told me this weekend that they had read it. They didn't say much (they never do) but I could tell they were touched by it and they appreciate more what we are doing and seem to have accepted it more too. So thank you for helping initiate that. I just wish I could help you more in return.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Sam,

sorry to hear about your mum being poorly....

Being a 'practical' sort of girl, I'd say this to you: concentrate on your mum, your family and yourself at this time and worry about Australia / migrating / nursing and everything else later, otherwise you are sure to end up with a huge headache...

...one thing at a time, chick, eh?

Australia isn't going anywhere...try and take it easy. x

Best wishes, x
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:57 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by worzel
Hi Sam. I am no good with this soppy stuff so I will try another angle.

We spend so much of our lives seeing our parents as a rock supporting us that it comes as quite a shock when we first see them with any fragility. Most of us also face the prospect of receiving calls once we are living in Ausrtalia telling us one of our family is ill. I don't think there is anything you can do to prepare for that.

I took all of this into account before making the decision to go which is why it took me 18 months. We owe so much to our parents that we will never be able to repay them. You shouldn't think of emigration as letting them down, you have your own family now and have to put them first. I am sure they understand that. You just have to be strong and go with what you believe in.

By the way, following your open letter thread I started my own weblog (you may recall) and my mum and dad told me this weekend that they had read it. They didn't say much (they never do) but I could tell they were touched by it and they appreciate more what we are doing and seem to have accepted it more too. So thank you for helping initiate that. I just wish I could help you more in return.
Thanks for that Worzel.

I have made my eyes inflammed and swollen from yesterday, I look terrible :scared:

Got a text message from my sister last night telling me to call home.

Shit myself, but need not have, phoned home and Mum said she would rather I didnt stay as 'she wouldnt be much company'.

I didnt know what to do, but my sister has just taken a week off work to look after her and I have taken a week off too and I am on 'standby' to go home at a moments notice.

My mum hates people fussing, so for now, I will respect her wishes but had my sister not had time off, then I would have gone ASAP.

I am about to phone home now to discreetly get an update without making Mum suspect.

You should see my eyes Worzel, my right eye is nearly closed up! I have to take my dog to the vet later, I might get him to treat my eye while I am there.

Right, update, just phoned Mum who has managed to get out of bed.

I am so relieved to talk to her, stubborn though she is.

Its osteo arthritis and the GP stopped her blood pressure tablets due to unwanted side effects, shakey limbs, couldnt even hold a cup, swollen feet.

I didnt think you should stop blood pressure tabs without the blood pressure going through the roof.

Anyway, she still says 'no' to me coming down, but I have the week off on call.

She will be speaking to another doctor in the practice this morning to see what to do next.

I could hear my sister and nephew in the background and I know they are spoiling her.

Im helping my friend move on Saturday, so I am just going to 'pop in' if you know what i mean to see my mum.

Im going to order her a huge bunch of flowers in a minute as well.

I just want to say thank you to those who replied to my message last night.

I am sorry for sounding so upset in what I wrote, its just it was a huge shock to hear it.

When you speak to parents on the phone, its easy to think that if they sound OK then they must be. Not always the case and Mums are very good at disguising problems aren't they?

But the replies you gave me last night, really helped me and I promise to not post 'crying and blubbing my eyes out posts' again.

Mum made me laugh, I said to her 'Oh Mum, I had you dead and buried as I was so worried'.

She replied: 'You bury me and Ill bloody kill you I want to be cremated!'

That's my Mum!

Anyway, a big bunch of flowers will soon be on its way to her and she has promised to keep me informed with the doctor.

Its also nice to know that i have this week off to see her as well.

Thanks everyone.

Samantha

Old Feb 21st 2005, 7:20 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Thanks for that Worzel.

I have made my eyes inflammed and swollen from yesterday, I look terrible :scared:

Got a text message from my sister last night telling me to call home.

Shit myself, but need not have, phoned home and Mum said she would rather I didnt stay as 'she wouldnt be much company'.

I didnt know what to do, but my sister has just taken a week off work to look after her and I have taken a week off too and I am on 'standby' to go home at a moments notice.

My mum hates people fussing, so for now, I will respect her wishes but had my sister not had time off, then I would have gone ASAP.

I am about to phone home now to discreetly get an update without making Mum suspect.

You should see my eyes Worzel, my right eye is nearly closed up! I have to take my dog to the vet later, I might get him to treat my eye while I am there.

Right, update, just phoned Mum who has managed to get out of bed.

I am so relieved to talk to her, stubborn though she is.

Its osteo arthritis and the GP stopped her blood pressure tablets due to unwanted side effects, shakey limbs, couldnt even hold a cup, swollen feet.

I didnt think you should stop blood pressure tabs without the blood pressure going through the roof.

Anyway, she still says 'no' to me coming down, but I have the week off on call.

She will be speaking to another doctor in the practice this morning to see what to do next.

I could hear my sister and nephew in the background and I know they are spoiling her.

Im helping my friend move on Saturday, so I am just going to 'pop in' if you know what i mean to see my mum.

Im going to order her a huge bunch of flowers in a minute as well.

I just want to say thank you to those who replied to my message last night.

I am sorry for sounding so upset in what I wrote, its just it was a huge shock to hear it.

When you speak to parents on the phone, its easy to think that if they sound OK then they must be. Not always the case and Mums are very good at disguising problems aren't they?

But the replies you gave me last night, really helped me and I promise to not post 'crying and blubbing my eyes out posts' again.

Mum made me laugh, I said to her 'Oh Mum, I had you dead and buried as I was so worried'.

She replied: 'You bury me and Ill bloody kill you I want to be cremated!'

That's my Mum!

Anyway, a big bunch of flowers will soon be on its way to her and she has promised to keep me informed with the doctor.

Its also nice to know that i have this week off to see her as well.

Thanks everyone.

Samantha
Hi Sam,

Glad things seem better today, I am sure your mum will be fine. I love the bit about you having her dead and buried and her reply lol.

Susan
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 8:24 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
Hi Sam,

Glad things seem better today, I am sure your mum will be fine. I love the bit about you having her dead and buried and her reply lol.

Susan

Mum went to the Doctors today, she has been on tablets for high blood pressure and they were stopped a week ago due to side effects.

The doctor today said she should never have been on them and her BP is fine.

He is running a full blood screen and T4 test and doing a chest Xray tomorrow.

I can tell mum is worried, she keeps saying 'I am trying to be calm till I get the results next week'.

She said today that she felt quite tired and worse than yesterday, so we shall see what happens.

She loved the flowers I sent her.

Cyprus sister phoned tonight, worried as well.

I keep having moments where Im ok then I have what I call 'insecure and frightening moments' where I don't know quite how I will deal with whatever happens.

Bundy if you're reading this, you are a star, you are brave and rock solid in your strength with coping with whats happening to your mum.

We don't know what's wrong with my Mum yet but I do know that now the foundations of my family have been rocked, I now feel very scared.

Still, at least tests are being done and we shall find out next week.

Changing the subject, my cat Gordon has eaten the end of my modem extension and its being held in with blue tack!

Cats, dont you love em!