British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Don't forget the kids! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/dont-forget-kids-111858/)

Jamesy Sep 26th 2002 5:50 pm

Don't forget the kids!

Hello

My son (11 years) is becoming increasingly worried about the thought of migrating to Oz - mainly leaving his friends!!

Does anyone know of a website geared towards children, basically telling them about migrating to Oz?

In hope of a happier son!

Jamesy

cleo19 Sep 26th 2002 6:57 pm

Re: Don't forget the kids!

Originally posted by Jamesy:
Hello

My son (11 years) is becoming increasingly worried about the thought of migrating to Oz - mainly leaving his friends!!

Does anyone know of a website geared towards children, basically telling them about migrating to Oz?

Jamesy

Jamesy

I also have the same problem. My daughter of 16 is very concerned about leaving her friends and starting a new school.

I have hunted all over the web for a site that can ease her worries but can find nothing.

The only thing I can think of is if we can find someone already over there with children the same age as ours that would be willing to chat/email to our children.

Terri

yvsie Sep 26th 2002 7:25 pm

Hi,

We have 3 kids, 18, 13 and almost 10yrs. Our eldest (son) is giving me the 'oh mum I dont know if I will want to stay you know', but says he will come and see for himself and then decide whether or not to return to England. Our daughters in the main are happy to go and dont speak in a negative way at all, maybe because they dont understand about the enormity of it...especially the youngest one.
The only way that we have reassured our kids is by looking at school and university websites and keeping them informed of all the steps that we have to take in order to get our PR.
The other thing that we have done is to meet a few people form here and establish friendships before we go...not that we want all English friends, but we feel that it will help if we know people before we get there.
Its possible that you have done the same things too.

I am sure that our kids would benefit from a forum like this one just for them!! ......anyone gonna set one up???

;)

Tyke Sep 27th 2002 2:19 am

"Jamesy" wrote in message
news:426154.1033062647@britishexpats-
.com
    > Hello
    > My son (11 years) is becoming increasingly worried about the thought of
    > migrating to Oz - mainly leaving his friends!!
    > Does anyone know of a website geared towards children, basically telling
    > them about migrating to Oz?
    > In hope of a happier son!
    > Jamesy

Don't worry,

When we brought our daughter here she was 10,and although she missed her UK
friends at first she has far more here now.!

Kids around that age seem to adapt very quickly here, don't pass on your
doubts to your son ---- be positive!

Russell

--
"You had better stop fighting by the time I get back,or
you're ALL grounded.
-God

Robert Edwards Sep 27th 2002 5:22 am

Have a look at my web site if you like it may not be what you are after but
is used a reference by a lot of schools and the various education
Departments although it is not geared for immigration per say.

Rob Edwards
www.australianaustralia.com.au

"yvsie" wrote in message
news:426181.1033068348@britishexpats-
.com
    > Hi,
    > We have 3 kids, 18, 13 and almost 10yrs. Our eldest (son) is giving me
    > the 'oh mum I dont know if I will want to stay you know', but says he
    > will come and see for himself and then decide whether or not to return
    > to England. Our daughters in the main are happy to go and dont speak in
    > a negative way at all, maybe because they dont understand about the
    > enormity of it...especially the youngest one.
    > The only way that we have reassured our kids is by looking at school and
    > university websites and keeping them informed of all the steps that we
    > have to take in order to get our PR.
    > The other thing that we have done is to meet a few people form here and
    > establish friendships before we go...not that we want all English
    > friends, but we feel that it will help if we know people before we get
    > there.
    > Its possible that you have done the same things too.
    > I am sure that our kids would benefit from a forum like this one just
    > for them!! ......anyone gonna set one up???
    > ;)
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

ywoods Sep 29th 2002 1:30 am

Hiya Jamesy

Well Tone and I are here (Tone being my son of 15 years) and he is loving it. We went out and bought him a bike within a week and he is out nosing around seeing what there is. He was introduced to the neighbours kids who are 14 and 16 and they call on him and go kick the ball around the field and stadium and go out on their bikes showing Tone how to get to his new school (which he is excited about going to). All in all it was an easy transition, but I think that is pretty heavily due to the fact we came from London where there are no really safe facilities around and then coming to a place where I am practically kicking him out the door on his bike and saying take your time in coming home. We are in Melbourne by the way :)

To be honest, kids are really resiliant and will make a better recovery than the adults. They will miss their friends, but then they will make new ones really quickly so that is not a real issue. Drag him over and he will thank you in the long run, and if he dont, send the snot back :D KIDDING!!!!!!

Good luck to you, but I think you will find you will need it not your son :)

Yvonne :)

Hello

Jamesy

Jamesy Sep 29th 2002 8:36 pm

Originally posted by ywoods:
Hiya Jamesy

Well Tone and I are here (Tone being my son of 15 years) and he is loving it. We went out and bought him a bike within a week and he is out nosing around seeing what there is. He was introduced to the neighbours kids who are 14 and 16 and they call on him and go kick the ball around the field and stadium and go out on their bikes showing Tone how to get to his new school (which he is excited about going to). All in all it was an easy transition, but I think that is pretty heavily due to the fact we came from London where there are no really safe facilities around and then coming to a place where I am practically kicking him out the door on his bike and saying take your time in coming home. We are in Melbourne by the way :)

To be honest, kids are really resiliant and will make a better recovery than the adults. They will miss their friends, but then they will make new ones really quickly so that is not a real issue. Drag him over and he will thank you in the long run, and if he dont, send the snot back :D KIDDING!!!!!!

Good luck to you, but I think you will find you will need it not your son :)

Thanks Yvonne - glad to see you've all settled down so quickly. This site is great, but some of the more negative posts bring out the nagging doubts in the back of your mind!!!

Keep us posted with how it goes

Jamesy

ywoods Sep 29th 2002 9:03 pm

Hiya Jamesy

Just remember why you want to come to Aus and that should be enough to wipe out the negatives on this site :)

Life is what you make it :)

Thanks Yvonne - glad to see you've all settled down so quickly. This site is great, but some of the more negative posts bring out the nagging doubts in the back of your mind!!!

Keep us posted with how it goes

Jamesy

wannabee sheila Sep 30th 2002 7:19 pm

Hello Yvonne

Glad to see you arrived safely and that you and Tone are settling into Aussie life. So nice to hear from someone already on the other side. Keep us posted on life in Melboure. We're flying out to Brisbane in 36 days, its sooo exciting, I can't wait.
Karen

ywoods Oct 1st 2002 8:07 am

PML 'the other side' what you saying!!?!??!?! WHO TOLD YOU!!! And I am NOT paranoid no matter what anyone else might think :D

36 days will pass so quickly and then you will be here :) Tis a great feeling when you get down to 1 figure days :)

I wish I had more to report on, but with me starting work yesterday, I am not going to have the time to do anything touristy til the hubsta gets a job where he does not have to work weekends *sigh* but then you aint coming to Melb are ya... send us some heat when you get to Brissie :)

Originally posted by wannabee sheila:
Hello Yvonne

Glad to see you arrived safely and that you and Tone are settling into Aussie life. So nice to hear from someone already on the other side. Keep us posted on life in Melboure. We're flying out to Brisbane in 36 days, its sooo exciting, I can't wait.
Karen