Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

don't forget to brong these things to Oz

Wikiposts

don't forget to brong these things to Oz

Old May 19th 2004, 12:46 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

exactomondo!
Old May 19th 2004, 5:48 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
I don't really get this. Surely the issue is with the SIM card, not the phone? I have an old Nokia on a PAYG Virgin SIM. If I throw away the SIM, bring the phone over and buy a new PAYG SIM, won't that just work? Surely the phone doesn't magically remember anything. I must be missing something fundamental.

Mark
Nonononononono. With PAYG phones, the operator fiddles with the phone to make it only work on their network. If you stick, say, an Orange SIM in your phone, the phone will look at it and say "you're not a Virgin" and refuse to play ball. If you ask the network nicely for an unlocking code, they should provide it. However, most will put so many obstacles in the way, it's easier to pay the guy on the market a tenner to do it for you.
Old May 19th 2004, 8:10 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
I don't really get this. Surely the issue is with the SIM card, not the phone? I have an old Nokia on a PAYG Virgin SIM. If I throw away the SIM, bring the phone over and buy a new PAYG SIM, won't that just work? Surely the phone doesn't magically remember anything. I must be missing something fundamental.

Mark

Its definately the phone.
I have had about 6 phones unlocked over the years .
If you buy a new PAYG vodafone you get a Vodafone sim with it.
Try and put an ORange one in or any other one and it will not work.
I took all my phones to a local independent dealer (£5 to my asian friend) and he plugs it in to a pc and it took as little as 20 secs to unlock and then any sim card will work even foreign ones.

:lecture:

Regards MR leannefr

Last edited by Darren&Leanne; May 19th 2004 at 8:13 am.
Old May 19th 2004, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

could you ask your `asian friend `if nokia 7210 are "unlockable" i`ve been told by a few people that its not ppossible or rather that the cost to do it , you may as well buy a new one . I`m not asking him to do it by the way , as i know its illegal to have the software , i`m just interested if tis possible? if it is i will ask about
Old May 19th 2004, 9:18 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pagey
could you ask your `asian friend `if nokia 7210 are "unlockable" i`ve been told by a few people that its not ppossible or rather that the cost to do it , you may as well buy a new one . I`m not asking him to do it by the way , as i know its illegal to have the software , i`m just interested if tis possible? if it is i will ask about
It's possbile as far as I know. Not many phones are 'not' possible
Old May 19th 2004, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Ias it actually worth it though . As i`m aware these new phones have something called a `one time chip ` which basically means that once they are `blocked by the network ` they are useless . However , there are a few other chips that you can `change` , as well as the one time one , to make the phone work , but the cost of this is almost the equivelent of a new phone , this is what i`ve been tolod anyway . I`m personally not 100% convinced , i think ( even though it carries a 10 year prison sentence , just for having the software ( apperently!! ) i think it must be possible . Any mobile techs outthere ( no-one is asking you to do it by the way ) just answers...
Old May 19th 2004, 9:33 am
What's happening dudes?

Ias it actually worth it though . As i`m aware these new phones have something called a `one time chip ` which basically means that once they are `blocked by the network ` they are useless . However , there are a few other chips that you can `change` , as well as the one time one , to make the phone work , but the cost of this is almost the equivelent of a new phone , this is what i`ve been tolod anyway . I`m personally not 100% convinced , i think ( even though it carries a 10 year prison sentence , just for having the software ( apperently!! ) i think it must be possible . Any mobile techs outthere ( no-one is asking you to do it by the way ) just answers...
I think you're getting confused with the network stopping you connecting to another network for their own financial purposes (i.e. you can only use the phone on their network) and the network blocking the IMEI (serial number) after a phone has been reported nicked so that it cannot be used to connect to any network ever again.
Old May 19th 2004, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

So what and where do i get it sorted then? and how much ?
Old May 19th 2004, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

its not stolen by the way , i found it at the match
Old May 19th 2004, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Try this site:
http://www.unlock-my-nokia.co.uk/?source=overture-uk

Terry
Old May 19th 2004, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Terry thanks for that , however , having had a look at the requirements , what would be the consequences if the phone i found was blocked because it was stolen ( by someone not me , by the way ) and i put all the details in and tell them i have it ?
Could i get blamed forstealing it?
and prosecuted?
Old May 19th 2004, 11:01 am
ABCDiamond

Terry thanks for that , however , having had a look at the requirements , what would be the consequences if the phone i found was blocked because it was stolen ( by someone not me , by the way ) and i put all the details in and tell them i have it ?
Could i get blamed forstealing it?
and prosecuted?
Probably get done for receiving stolen goods

You could always hand it in to the police station, and if it isnt claimed within 3 ? Months, you get to keep it. Unless the rules have changed.

Or you could ring some of the last numbers dialled, and try to find out who it belongs to, and maybe get a reward

Old May 19th 2004, 6:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

So what and where do i get it sorted then? and how much ?
There's always a guy on the market who will do this for you.