Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

don't forget to brong these things to Oz

Wikiposts

don't forget to brong these things to Oz

Old May 17th 2004, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Be great to take the Gales Brewery so I can get HSB.
Old May 17th 2004, 10:22 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by migrantoz
A bank in a brewery?

Phoenixuk2oz

Old May 17th 2004, 1:43 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by JAJ
Just don't overload it.
Yes, am I right in thinking that it's only 10 amps here instead of the UK's 13? So high-load appliances like kettles might not be worth bringing? Especially the newer fast-boil ones. Hair-dryers too maybe? Better check the rating labels.

Mark
Old May 17th 2004, 2:51 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Yes, am I right in thinking that it's only 10 amps here instead of the UK's 13?

Mark
And of course heaters are high-power too.

I see that I got the figure of 10 from a local plug board rating. Also I note that the plug adapters (multinational-to-Oz) are rated at 6 amps so don't try to run any kind of kettle through them. Cor and I thought televisions were going to be the biggest problem!

Mark
Old May 17th 2004, 3:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
And of course heaters are high-power too.

I see that I got the figure of 10 from a local plug board rating. Also I note that the plug adapters (multinational-to-Oz) are rated at 6 amps so don't try to run any kind of kettle through them. Cor and I thought televisions were going to be the biggest problem!

Mark
We have our UK 2kw Kettle and that works OK. We did change the plug though 6AMPs is ony 1.4Kw

The fuses in our mains box are rated at 20Amps for the power circuits, and 10 Amps for the lights

It makes it all sound rather bad ! But everything works OK, and we haven't had a power trip for ages.

Old May 17th 2004, 4:03 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We've just put Aussie plugs on everything and everything works just fine.
Oh apart from the english video through an aussie tv, we can't get sound, but power wise all is A ok
Old May 17th 2004, 5:19 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: don't forget to bring these things to Oz

Originally posted by markeh
Hiya sarn,
there must be other things that people need to bring with them, com on guy's give us the benefit of your wisdome/experience!

Bye
Mark
I would recommend bringing rose tinted glasses and a lettuce.
Oh and some decent tea bags, penguin biscuits, front loading washing machine, cadburys chocolate, M&S undies, suet, coronation st. on video, xmas puds, walkers crisps, pork scratchings, real ale, ......
and a sense of humour.
Old May 17th 2004, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

A 5 year diary, started before you leave.

Looking back is amazing, every family member been through every emotion, every stage although not all at the same time funny too what you write and what happens in reality. Plus lists what you want to achieve, then what people say down the track its great reading.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:56 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by JulesandChris
I would recommend bringing rose tinted glasses and a lettuce.
Oh and some decent tea bags, penguin biscuits, front loading washing machine, cadburys chocolate, M&S undies, suet, coronation st. on video, xmas puds, walkers crisps, pork scratchings, real ale, .
A few things there that I'll be glad to leave behind!

Front-loaders exist here by the million BTW.

Mark
Old May 18th 2004, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
a handful of uk travel plugs for things you cant change the plugs on or havent got round to changing yet
Not quite at the packing stage yet but we thought we'd pack a few power bars, that way we can plug in lots of uk electrical stuff and only have to buy one or two uk/oz converters.

Anyone know if that would work ok?
Old May 18th 2004, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Salli
Not quite at the packing stage yet but we thought we'd pack a few power bars, that way we can plug in lots of uk electrical stuff and only have to buy one or two uk/oz converters.

Anyone know if that would work ok?
Ignore me!!! Just seen that others have suggested it!
Old May 18th 2004, 3:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by migrantoz
Whenever anyone mentions 'proper' beer I get all emotional

sob!!!

G
Old May 18th 2004, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hot water bottles

Don't throw out your thick quilts bring them with you. The nights get cold here at times.

whisky
Old May 19th 2004, 12:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the network and the original contract under which you bought the phones.

I got two phones unlocked a few years ago in the UK - the network was Virgin Mobile and they didn't charge (at the time, not sure about now) or make any fuss - but it was necessary to get the code to make the phones work on another network.

Jeremy

Originally posted by hevs
Brilliant minds think alike

The phone unlocking thing seems a bit of a con though. Most people i have spoken to have just chucked their old sim and put an ozzie on straigh in, anyone?
Old May 19th 2004, 12:40 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by JAJ
It depends on the network and the original contract under which you bought the phones.

I got two phones unlocked a few years ago in the UK - the network was Virgin Mobile and they didn't charge (at the time, not sure about now) or make any fuss - but it was necessary to get the code to make the phones work on another network.

Jeremy
I don't really get this. Surely the issue is with the SIM card, not the phone? I have an old Nokia on a PAYG Virgin SIM. If I throw away the SIM, bring the phone over and buy a new PAYG SIM, won't that just work? Surely the phone doesn't magically remember anything. I must be missing something fundamental.

Mark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.