Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't come to Australia if...

Don't come to Australia if...

Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:43 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't come to Australia if...

Tongue mostly in cheek…

You like shopping – Try Singapore – they love it there, but then there is nothing else to do but work and sleep! Some clothes are lower quality here but then subject anything to a top-loading washing machine and then hang it out in the blazing sun and it will be knackered after a few months
You like to have half a dozen pubs within walking distance of home - You’d need a train to get between them here and probably die of heat stroke doing a summer pub crawl – There is nowhere better in the world for pubs than the UK
You are very close to your parents / older kids / best mate – the number of people who go back and had seemingly not thought they would miss them amazes me
You have a rocky relationship and hope this might fix it – Partly due to the stresses of the move and partly because you might find different interests here you are much more likely to force a split than mend one
You expect Australia to be like the UK with sun – In so many subtle but crucial ways the culture is different
You don’t have an open mind – Which is more likely to be the exception – you who has just stepped off the plane or 20 Million Aussies that have lived here all their lives?
You take yourself too seriously – The Aussies will hate you for it
You are a whinger – The Aussies will hate you for that too
You are negative – Change your vocabulary – Eg I went to the pub , got slaughtered and the next day I felt “average” – Anything less positive than that will have people thinking you are suicidal
You are impatient – I got huffy with a girl in a supermarket soon after arrival and she looked at me like I had escaped from the loony bin – Get used to waiting, you will do it a lot
You are not willing to give it a go of getting into AFL / NRL – they are religions here – if you are not with the religion in your state then you are a heretic and will be ostracised (and maybe stoned)
You like music other than rock – For this religion getting stoned is a good thing
You don’t drink – Again drinking is a religion. There is nothing wrong with drink-driving here, only getting caught doing it and even then you will be back on the road in months
You don’t like heat – You can stay out of the sun in the shops until 5pm then go home to a cool house I guess but then why bother coming to Australia when you could do that in the UK
You don’t like the great outdoors – boating, fishing, camping etc are compulsory on long weekends
You expect everything to be half the price of the UK – sure some things are cheaper than the UK but others are more expensive – it averages out about the same
You have not been here before and imagine that cities of 1M+ people are going to be quaint little towns with a dirt track through the middle (don’t laugh – that is how my dad expected to find Perth, but then he did think we would spend weeks in a detention centre on arrival too.)
You think it is going to be just like Neighbours – I have not met anyone who has had a short career as a pop star
You think people will make all the moves to make you their friend when you get here – You have to work bloody hard at it, perhaps harder than at making a home, getting a job. So you are shy – we all are really. Have the spuds to introduce yourself to people
You think Aussies will be desperate to be your friend – They hate Poms only second to Kiwis and they already have a large circle of friends and family so don't need a whinging Pom in their life too

Any more?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

stardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Don't come to Australia if...

ha ha, great post
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:56 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
You think Aussies will be desperate to be your friend – They hate Poms only second to Kiwis and they already have a large circle of friends and family so don't need a whinging Pom in their life too
Pretty good list mate - but far and away the number one object of hatred for all the aussies I've met - is the saffa.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:56 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Spot on!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:00 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Oh, you forgot to say "If you care how people look, rather than what they are, don't bother coming here."
In the Kimberley, the more battered and sweat-stained the hat, the more land area the wearer controls; and unless they're on horseback, they're usually (shhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!) not wearing shoes.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:17 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

... you can't stop comparing everything with the UK. Newflash Tonto, you're in Australia now, who gives a shit if everyone does 95mph on the M4 and gets away with it. I was watching one of those Wanted: Down Under shows the other night and this couple from Oxforshire (sorry if you're forum regulars but I pissed myself laughing) are viewing this house on the edge of reserve-land and the lady looks out of the window over the verdant rain-forest and says "Well you wouldn't get that in Bicester"
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:45 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Tongue mostly in cheek…

You like shopping – Try Singapore – they love it there, but then there is nothing else to do but work and sleep! Some clothes are lower quality here but then subject anything to a top-loading washing machine and then hang it out in the blazing sun and it will be knackered after a few months
You like to have half a dozen pubs within walking distance of home - You’d need a train to get between them here and probably die of heat stroke doing a summer pub crawl – There is nowhere better in the world for pubs than the UK
You are very close to your parents / older kids / best mate – the number of people who go back and had seemingly not thought they would miss them amazes me
You have a rocky relationship and hope this might fix it – Partly due to the stresses of the move and partly because you might find different interests here you are much more likely to force a split than mend one
You expect Australia to be like the UK with sun – In so many subtle but crucial ways the culture is different
You don’t have an open mind – Which is more likely to be the exception – you who has just stepped off the plane or 20 Million Aussies that have lived here all their lives?
You take yourself too seriously – The Aussies will hate you for it
You are a whinger – The Aussies will hate you for that too
You are negative – Change your vocabulary – Eg I went to the pub , got slaughtered and the next day I felt “average” – Anything less positive than that will have people thinking you are suicidal
You are impatient – I got huffy with a girl in a supermarket soon after arrival and she looked at me like I had escaped from the loony bin – Get used to waiting, you will do it a lot
You are not willing to give it a go of getting into AFL / NRL – they are religions here – if you are not with the religion in your state then you are a heretic and will be ostracised (and maybe stoned)
You like music other than rock – For this religion getting stoned is a good thing
You don’t drink – Again drinking is a religion. There is nothing wrong with drink-driving here, only getting caught doing it and even then you will be back on the road in months
You don’t like heat – You can stay out of the sun in the shops until 5pm then go home to a cool house I guess but then why bother coming to Australia when you could do that in the UK
You don’t like the great outdoors – boating, fishing, camping etc are compulsory on long weekends
You expect everything to be half the price of the UK – sure some things are cheaper than the UK but others are more expensive – it averages out about the same
You have not been here before and imagine that cities of 1M+ people are going to be quaint little towns with a dirt track through the middle (don’t laugh – that is how my dad expected to find Perth, but then he did think we would spend weeks in a detention centre on arrival too.)
You think it is going to be just like Neighbours – I have not met anyone who has had a short career as a pop star
You think people will make all the moves to make you their friend when you get here – You have to work bloody hard at it, perhaps harder than at making a home, getting a job. So you are shy – we all are really. Have the spuds to introduce yourself to people

Any more?
LOL Very good, and very true
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

why do they hate the kiwis?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:14 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obiwan
why do they hate the kiwis?
Local rivalry
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

We don't hate Kiwi's. or Pom's or Saffa's

What Aussies love to do is sledgeing, slagging off, banter, winding up. Some see it as hatred but it's anything but. If you hate someone, you usually don't bother with them, not go out of your way to rib them.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:45 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

But how much is this post in pounds ... ?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:50 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Now you tell me!!! One year too late.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teabag
We don't hate Kiwi's. or Pom's or Saffa's

What Aussies love to do is sledgeing, slagging off, banter, winding up. Some see it as hatred but it's anything but. If you hate someone, you usually don't bother with them, not go out of your way to rib them.
Very true, learn to grow a thick skin if you havent already got one and be prepared to answer back, from what we've seen Aussies love a Pom they can have a laugh with
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Our friends piddled theirselves laughing when i said hubby was bringing home the lorry from work
donna
Yes its different here, but we love it and wanted to experience something different.
donna
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
... you can't stop comparing everything with the UK. Newflash Tonto, you're in Australia now, who gives a shit if everyone does 95mph on the M4 and gets away with it. I was watching one of those Wanted: Down Under shows the other night and this couple from Oxforshire (sorry if you're forum regulars but I pissed myself laughing) are viewing this house on the edge of reserve-land and the lady looks out of the window over the verdant rain-forest and says "Well you wouldn't get that in Bicester"
I once landed on that Bicester Road doing a bloody parachute jump. Lovely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.