Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't Come to Australia

Don't Come to Australia

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:31 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Come to Australia

Here it is
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:32 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

So just to clarify, 'cos I'm not very perceptive do you like it or not?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:34 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
After 7+ years in Queensland my trip to the Mornington Peninsular last August was the coldest that I can ever remember being in my life. I even had to sip beer at Hevs house as it was to cold to gulp
I swear there was icicles on the rails down at Fort Nepean
It's like that all the time. It's never warm here.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 23rd 2010 at 8:37 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:40 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Where did he say he was British?
Perhaps being American they still think A'strayleer is a part of good old UKland.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Here it is
...I forgot about the rabbit bit!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:58 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Shucks..you gotta love that Vic weather...

Took a drive through the Otways last July - through the heaviest rain I have ever experienced anywhere (& that includes monsoon season in SE Asia!)

And as a bit of a noob myself, I was genuinely surprised to discover Vic even has ski resorts...

Anyone thinking Oz is the land of constant golden sunshine is going to be in for a shock...it can be absolutely beautiful in places but if you are moving for the weather, do think carefully about where you go. We booked to go snorkelling off the Barrier Reef (fell for the glitzy ads) & froze going out of the boat in the wind & even with wetsuits on, it wasn't that warm.

Expect the unexpected & don't blame Oz for not living up to your own fantasies, or not solving your own personal problems, would be my advice
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:59 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
No wonder you guys get so many structural turn-outs, people probably have to torch their homes just to thaw themselves out.
My boy reckons summer was fantastic, mind 18yr old's don't seem to feel the cold
I'll stay up here with the constant 30°C
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light

I was impressed with the peeps who gave up after a week and a half in Mornington.
tell me more please. Im meant to be heading to Mornington and curious to know why they stayed there for such a short time?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
It's not Customs & Excise it's AQIS & yep they are a bit hit & miss regarding the stupid things they pick on sometimes, fair point.

I've met damn rude ones & very nice ones, you must have had a couple of bad ones.

Can't comment, to young to remember trams in the U.K & never been on one in Melbourne.

Same problem worldwide with probably one or two notable exceptions.

Fair point, it's the same for me. Internet costs are outrageous

Yep, again no argument from me, very expensive & quick to rip off the consumer. i.e $20.00 per kilo for bananas because a small proportion of the growing region was affected by a cyclone

A little backhander to smooth the way, everyone needs a little extra cash now & then, they may have a banana fetish

Well it's certainly not the cheap place it was 8 years ago, it's not that different to similar economies.

It's not for everyone, I love it though despite it's problems, they outweigh the ones elsewhere that I've considered.
Excellent post
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:31 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newbie_and_Leaving
Australia - great place to holiday a nightmare to live, I'm off and so is my taxable income.
Bugger, the economy is in the dunny now
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:44 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
...I forgot about the rabbit bit!
I just had to go read that thread, and now I'm upset because I was mean on it.

(Aw look, and it's almost Easter. )
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:50 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I've been in Melbourne two months, my experiences:

1. Customs & Excise charge the earth for inspection and do not do their job. They are trying to charge me $850 for destroying a plastic bucket that they say contains "traces of chemicals" - it's detergent you morons!!

2. Job agents are the worst I have ever encountered, bad manners is just one of their traits.

3. Tram inspectors behave like The Gestapo and are racist, they bully old people and are afraid of youths who DO evade paying.

4. The train operators cannot even gets their clocks in synch let alone run a service!

5. An internet connection is the most expensive of any of the 6 countries I have lived in.

6. The Govt allow a duopoly for the supermarkets, therefore any item is twice the price it should be.

7. Every public official I have had to deal with wants money to do their job.

And I haven't even started on the cost to live here....

Australia - great place to holiday a nightmare to live, I'm off and so is my taxable income.
Oh dear, threads like this don't go down too well in the OZ forum

Great name though
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:55 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Lets be fair to the original poster... every word he said is 100% true.

But strangely, I like living here regardless.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Qantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of light

I've been in Melbourne two months, my experiences:

1. Customs & Excise charge the earth for inspection and do not do their job. They are trying to charge me $850 for destroying a plastic bucket that they say contains "traces of chemicals" - it's detergent you morons!!

2. Job agents are the worst I have ever encountered, bad manners is just one of their traits.

3. Tram inspectors behave like The Gestapo and are racist, they bully old people and are afraid of youths who DO evade paying.

4. The train operators cannot even gets their clocks in synch let alone run a service!

5. An internet connection is the most expensive of any of the 6 countries I have lived in.

6. The Govt allow a duopoly for the supermarkets, therefore any item is twice the price it should be.

7. Every public official I have had to deal with wants money to do their job.

And I haven't even started on the cost to live here....

Don't stop now, tell us what you REALLY think................
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:01 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Shucks..you gotta love that Vic weather...

Took a drive through the Otways last July - through the heaviest rain I have ever experienced anywhere (& that includes monsoon season in SE Asia!)

It's like that all the time. It's never dry here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.