Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't Come to Australia

Don't Come to Australia

Old Mar 25th 2010, 3:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Come to Australia

Originally Posted by swigski
You are ignorant to the fact that Welsh people consider themselves a race.

Arrogant in that you see humor in my objection to you saying that your husband dislikes all Welsh. Has he met every Welsh person?

You readily admit your husband is bigoted and as you seem to agree and back his views up, I can assume you the same.

If you don't like it, report it to a moderator!
The Welsh are NOT a race - fact.
I didn't say he disliked ALL Welsh, I said he wasn't a fan and that he's not overly fussy with his dislike - fact.
I didn't admit he was bigoted - I said he was possibly and it was a joke against my husband, and that - oh you know what this is more than silly.

I won't be reporting your post because quite honestly you're showing yourself up quite beautifully on your own and I don't need to help you. I would say though, you're not a great example of a Welsh person. It's a good job I know some lovely ones, I'd hate to have to assume they were all like you and to agree with the husband, he may decide he wants me to do that more often. - That was a joke by the way, in case you didn't get that one either.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:06 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I cant believe this conversation in relation to Welsh people is still going.

If I was to not speak to anyone who didnt like the Engilish. For fear of being labelled as supporting bigotry.

Being Irish I would be drinking on my own.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:10 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swigski
There are very few 'distinct races' anywhere in the world any more apart from some remote tribes which is why racism has become more political and geographical in its use.
It is clearly obvious you don't know the difference between race and nationalism.

Race has only become political with the politically correct and we all know how correct that lot are...
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:13 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cuppa10
Welsh are just white people.
They're no different than Scottish or English people.

(Apart from the fact that English people are superior.)
I never thought of Shirley Bassey as white before now.

Or Tom Jones for that matter ...
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Or Tom Jones for that matter ...

He was white but he decided that as Michael Jackson was allowed to be white he should be allowed to be an Ooompa Loompa.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

polly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hino
As a 'Strain I have to say that we'll be sorry to lose you

Though after trying your best, to sort out the problems of this country for eight whole weeks, I can only imagine how exhausted you are, and I thank you for your efforts.

May I suggest that you fly home B.A. ?

They have a great reputation. Here's a cut and paste from their latest company promotion......

G'Day ladies and gentlemen and welcome aboard B.A.'s ( Boomerang Airways ), direct flight from Shitville to Ukopia.

Please refrain from shouts of "Oh ****ing hell, fank ****ing gawd we're ****ing out of that ****ing place", until the pilot has advised that the aircraft is out of Australian airspace.

Please be advised that all our toilets are fitted with smoke detectors and the burning of Australian passports in the toilets is a federal offence. If any of our guests have a pressing need to destroy documentation, please contact the cabin crew who can provide a shredder for your convienience.

As soon as we reach cruising altitude the cabin staff will be serving refreshments. A fine selection of real beers, with Irn Bru and Tizer for those who have been away from the homeland for an extended period, and are having trouble getting back into the habit of getting totally legless on international flights.

Once drinks have been served we will be serving dinner. Real fish and chips, with a compote of real mushy peas and a side serve of HP sauce Jus with brown vinegar highlights. (The aircraft's air conditioning system prevents us from serving neat brown vinegar as it effects the head on the real beer ).

International fire safety regulations prevent us from serving this delicacy in it's traditional exotic newspaper wrapping but BA are happy to serve it on paper plates with real plastic knives and forks, to make you feel more at home.

Our in flight movie's will be Zulu, Tunes of Glory, The Dam Busters and Mrs. Brown. Audio channels will provide the listener with an extensive collection of recordings from The last night of the Proms.

In the morning a real egg and bacon butty will be served, with real fatty bacon on real white bread. Those passengers who are travelling in first and business class will find that the crusts have already been removed for their convienience, and they will also have a choice of individual HP or Heinz tomato ketchup sachets.

Before landing, a complimentary 'Welcome Home' kit will be issued, it contains a plastic mac, a disposable scraper for removing chewing gum and dogggy poo from shoes and a selection of popular welfare benefit forms.

Once we land, you will once again be back in God's own country and obviously in no further need of this airline's services, so we thank you for flying BA and watch out for the ice out there, apparently it's deadly.

For those of traveling on to other destinations, we wish to advise that due to inclement weather, ours was the last flight able to land and the airport is now closed. The roads are also impassable and all rail services are apparently having severe delays due to snow on the rails.........welcome home

Have a safe trip home Newbie. It's a shame you didn't stay long enough to get yer knees brown
that's funny!!!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

polly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Newbie_and_Leaving
I've been in Melbourne two months, my experiences:

1. Customs & Excise charge the earth for inspection and do not do their job. They are trying to charge me $850 for destroying a plastic bucket that they say contains "traces of chemicals" - it's detergent you morons!!

2. Job agents are the worst I have ever encountered, bad manners is just one of their traits.

3. Tram inspectors behave like The Gestapo and are racist, they bully old people and are afraid of youths who DO evade paying.

4. The train operators cannot even gets their clocks in synch let alone run a service!

5. An internet connection is the most expensive of any of the 6 countries I have lived in.

6. The Govt allow a duopoly for the supermarkets, therefore any item is twice the price it should be.

7. Every public official I have had to deal with wants money to do their job.

And I haven't even started on the cost to live here....

Australia - great place to holiday a nightmare to live, I'm off and so is my taxable income.
I must comment on your post - we've been here (Sydney) for just over 2 months & whilst there have been 'bumps' you 'build a bridge & get over them' you can't just give in.

Things 'surprised' us and for the first couple of weeks we just seemed to spend money BUT that's the same if you moved anywhere new, set up costs are set up costs no matter where you are.

Sorry you had problems with customs, you were obviously let down by your movers as they mustn't have given you the information about what can & can't be brought into the country - as someone who cleaned & cleaned & stuck to the rules I do lack sympathy... and our hard work resulted in no charges as they check our container and it was all good - rules is rules!!

Hubby already had a job to come to but my encounters with employment agencies have been great, everyone has been helpful.

All public transport experiences have been great & if there is any track work scheduled they give you plenty of notice and lay on free buses to the nearest station.

The council have been fantastic providing cheap compost bins, delivery & set up FREE!

First time I've never had to pay for internet connection (even in the UK when we moved with the same company from our house to the rental they charged us afer 10yrs!!!)

The cost of living is swings & round abouts - did you not do any research??

To sum it up - I think you should have moved to NSW you might have like it more!!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by polly_pod
To sum it up - I think you should have moved to NSW you might have like it more!!
Now that's a laugh. Melbourne has much more to offer, is more cost effective and is better placed for future growth than Sydney will ever be.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deancm
Now that's a laugh. Melbourne has much more to offer, is more cost effective and is better placed for future growth than Sydney will ever be.
I think you took that in the wrong context - I was making light of the situation as he made it sound sooooo bad there.

Taken a bit seriously there
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:59 am
Just Joined

ingridhart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hino
Ripped Off ?

Are you trying to say that Australians don't check the price and availability of an Australian product or service before deciding to purchase.

Or are you just making a 'comparison' between Australian prices and UK prices ?

ie. Baked beans in Tesco's Bradford are only 10p a tin, but I have to pay $1 here in Australia, therefore I'm being ripped off.
No I am saying that Australians don't know any better and are oblivious to the food costs over here and the lack of choice. Tesco maybe unethical in some peoples eyes but at least you don't have to trog around 10 different retailers to get value for money. You can buy anything in Tesco's, for eg I want to buy a new mattress, all the Australian retailers charge for the most expensive matress up to $4000, in Tesco the most expensive and highest quality such as Sealy or slumber, costs £600, both probably made in China and the Uk has further to ship. so who is getting the raw deal? I could name numerous other products but I could go on forever!!!!!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by polly_pod
I think you took that in the wrong context - I was making light of the situation as he made it sound sooooo bad there.

Taken a bit seriously there
Maybe I should have put a smilie face at the end of my post.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deancm
Maybe I should have put a smilie face at the end of my post.
I'm a northern lass I can take it

Good to know Melbourne rocks though.....
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:11 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

He was white but he decided that as Michael Jackson was allowed to be white he should be allowed to be an Ooompa Loompa.
I always saw him as a Singing Walnut before he had the work done.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:11 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

A strange thread this: "Australia is Cr@p"......"How dare you! The UK is worse"...."Hubby dislikes the Welsh"....."That's soooo racist!"....."Maybe you should have considered NSW?"....."What rubbish, Melbourne is better than Sydney!"

Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:16 am
Just Joined

ingridhart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spart
Problem is - what did you think it was going to be? Summer Bay and quaint locals? Your ability to buy a mansion in Toorak with the proceeds of your terrace sale from Slough? What? Please enlighten.

Please stay in the first world then petal. Stay away from the Middle East. FFS
Are you always so rude, Rudeness is just a line of defence. No I am saying that It's not always about the sunshine and once reality sets in and the sun stops shining, it's not so great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.