Reload this Page >

Don't Come to Australia

Don't Come to Australia

Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:53 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Don't Come to Australia

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Well it is at mine so yah boo sucks to you It's not near a Woolies or Coles either but that's kind of irrelevant
I guess the fact that its not near a Woolies or Coles is VERY relevant.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I guess the fact that its not near a Woolies or Coles is VERY relevant.
I'd have thought the opposite. In my head, if they were close to the supermarkets, they'd offer cheaper better deals. Being in an area where there isn't a supermarket would give them more opportunity to hike the prices a bit.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:33 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Newbie_and_Leaving
As a fellow Melburnian, here is my response:
1. Customs & Excise charge the earth for inspection and do not do their job. They are trying to charge me $850 for destroying a plastic bucket that they say contains "traces of chemicals" - it's detergent you morons!!
That's all over Australia, not just Melbourne. Yes, the Customs and Excise are parasites (but that's everywhere).

2. Job agents are the worst I have ever encountered, bad manners is just one of their traits.
They are worse in the UK. Then again most of the agents in Australia are from the UK.

3. Tram inspectors behave like The Gestapo and are racist, they bully old people and are afraid of youths who DO evade paying.
Spot on! That's about being like the Gestapo. They're not racist, they treat everyone like sh!t equally.

4. The train operators cannot even gets their clocks in synch let alone run a service!
The train operators have inherited a system that has been destroyed over the years by the State govt. It's crap!

5. An internet connection is the most expensive of any of the 6 countries I have lived in.
Have to agree. Internet is crap, over expensive and in a few weeks we will also be censored like China.

6. The Govt allow a duopoly for the supermarkets, therefore any item is twice the price it should be.
This is true. The supermarkets ARE running a duopoly and they do rip everyone off.

7. Every public official I have had to deal with wants money to do their job.
Australia is seriously over regulated, and everything costs money to go into the govt coffers. This also happens in other parts of the world such as the UK but it is worse in Australia.

And I haven't even started on the cost to live here....
It's more expensive than the UK, that's for sure.

Last edited by Deancm; Mar 24th 2010 at 4:55 am.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Several of the OP's points are also true of the UK.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'd have thought the opposite. In my head, if they were close to the supermarkets, they'd offer cheaper better deals. Being in an area where there isn't a supermarket would give them more opportunity to hike the prices a bit.
They just match the supermarket price and sell stuff at the crappy end of the market cheap... you know the sort of stuff.

The grape sized peaches.... banana's that are already off.....
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:48 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Melbourne might have this 'vast' choice.... most of Australia sure as Hell won't. The only IGA near me is smaller than my garage and you would need the financial resources of Abramovich to do a weekly shop there.

Never even seen a Foodworks or a Co-op and while others may rave about Aldi, my local one is, quite frankly, crap.

Can you elaborate on "a good few others"?
Since when has there been a Foodworks or Co-op in Melbourne? Never seen one.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kporte
Ah come on you lot! The dude is as entitled to hate it here as I am to love it. Who cares if he thinks it's crap? As long as you are happy, does anyone else's opinion matter?
I knew within 8 weeks I liked it here so if he decides in 8 weeks he doesn't, so what?
Its not so much that he hates it - different strokes and all - its more the b*llsh*t that he spouted about officials being corrupt, tram inspectors being racist and AQIS being inept etc etc.

Gives people the total wrong impression. Customs is a very important barrier in a country that relies on agriculture as much as Aus does. If he didnt read the information easily accessible, then moans about $850 charges, then he is a muppet - not AQIS.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Tell ya what "mate". Get your arse into the any of the pubs around Port Kembla on a Saturday night and start telling the residents of Australia's ninth largest city that they live in "Southern Sydney".

I will happily chip in towards your ongoing medical costs.
Lived in Wollongong for a year "tiger" - will happily tell you where it is relative to Sydney. (Hint - its south)
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Melbourne might have this 'vast' choice.... most of Australia sure as Hell won't. The only IGA near me is smaller than my garage and you would need the financial resources of Abramovich to do a weekly shop there.
Again with the mis-information. Comparing Melbourne to Shellharbour, which is a country town of what - 25,000? people - is quite misleading.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spart
Lived in Wollongong for a year "tiger" - will happily tell you where it is relative to Sydney. (Hint - its south)
Hint... look at my location?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:08 am
Account Closed

Again with the mis-information. Comparing Melbourne to Shellharbour, which is a country town of what - 25,000? people - is quite misleading.
I can see this is going to be fun...

So, saying that large parts of Australia don't have the same choice as Melbourne is "mis-information".
Interesting argument... stupid, but interesting non the less.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:09 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I'll stay up here with the constant 30°C
my idea of hell
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ingridhart
There are alot of points you have made I would agree with, Australia is not what you think it is
Problem is - what did you think it was going to be? Summer Bay and quaint locals? Your ability to buy a mansion in Toorak with the proceeds of your terrace sale from Slough? What? Please enlighten.
Originally Posted by ingridhart
The annoying thing is that Australians don't know they are being ripped off, Telstra is the most incompetent company I have ever had to deal with, the duopoly of Coles and Woolworths is a disgrace, bring in Tesco and shoot them down.
Please stay in the first world then petal. Stay away from the Middle East. FFS
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:12 am
Account Closed

Just out of interest... if everything South of Sydney is now to be known as Southern Sydney... at one point does the Illawarra change from being Southern Sydney to Northern Melbourne?.

I've always fancied living in Melbourne and based on your grasp of the geography of the Illawarra I might already be living there after all.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest... if everything South of Sydney is now to be known as Southern Sydney... at one point does the Illawarra change from being Southern Sydney to Northern Melbourne?.

I've always fancied living in Melbourne and based on your grasp of the geography of the Illawarra I might already be living there after all.
On a related theme but, as is traditional, totally off-topic ... who thought another South Wales was a good idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.