Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't chuck yer woolly jumpers

Don't chuck yer woolly jumpers

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 3:27 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I haven't been on here for a while, actually had some interesting work to do to take up my time. Anyway, couldn't help but get involved in my favourite subject -cold winter nights. We bought one of those electric fan heaters which is quite good at warming one large rumpus, keep the blinds all shut to help reduce loss of heat. Mind, one morning, got up and switched on and the thing blew up! Luckily the flames died out straight away, got a replacement now. Have one of those pot bellied things but too smokey and too much of a pain to use. Also bought small oil filled for bedroom which is quite good. I hate waking up feeling the cold on my face and not wanting to get out of the thick quilt (plus fleece blanket on the really cold nights). We are about to move into another rental property and high on our list of priorities was reverse A/C and some carpeting - can't bloody wait. It's newer so hopefully insulated, good for winter and summer. Love these winter days but looking forward to spring now.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Don't chuck yer woolly jumpers

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DianeOZ
Sorry, I keep popping up now don't I? Just another little thing I'd like to mention..

well i am cold too, we are in geelong. its our first winter hubbys not cold. cant wait for the summer to come back. got socks on all day and all bloody night too. hubby keeps saying i wouldnt like it hotter in another area, but i dont know. when your hot you want it cooler and when your cold you want it hotter. still much better than an english winter i say. lorraine
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Think hubby prefers winter as it's the only time he gets a ****!

In the summer it's a case of "Get away from me you sweaty, smelly monster"

Diane
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 6:53 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MartyO
We went to Perth once at the end of September/early October and found both daytime and night temperatures to be fine. We stayed with my wife's cousin in Wanneroo.

During the day in teperatures of around 19-24c we were basking in what in Scotland would have been considered glorious summer weather. Again, our hosts couldn't quite believe this. They did think it funny when we returned from a day trip around Perth to hear that I had to pop into a shop to buy a jumper. In the city out of the sun with the wind blowing through the streets it was a bit chilly!

I might even set up in business in Perth selling second hand jumpers as I have so much personal stock!!
You came in the Spring try Winter in Perth it can get down to 1C at night , minor detail that you will not take in.

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 7:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You came in the Spring try Winter in Perth it can get down to 1C at night , minor detail that you will not take in.
I even had to go and buy a stolen gas heater the other day it's been so bloody cold here.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 7:19 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
I even had to go and buy a stolen gas heater the other day it's been so bloody cold here.
You should have said theres a good guy in Balcatta who does recon gas heaters better priced than Hock it Ltd (cash and run) ,the coldest months are July and August.

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 7:23 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

You should have said theres a good guy in Balcatta who does recon gas heaters better priced than Hock it Ltd (cash and run) ,the coldest months are July and August.
I got mine from Cash Converters, so I'm assuming it was stolen for drugs money.

When you say a good guy in Balcatta do you mean the Good Guys (pay cash and we'll slash the prices)?

Last August when we came validate we arrived when it went down to 1 degree, we stayed in a poorly insulated house in Padbury with a thin doona on the bed. It was the coldest I'd been since I slept in a Welsh barn on a school field trip.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 7:30 am
Banned

Originally posted by renth
I got mine from Cash Converters, so I'm assuming it was stolen for drugs money.

When you say a good guy in Balcatta do you mean the Good Guys (pay cash and we'll slash the prices)?

Last August when we came validate we arrived when it went down to 1 degree, we stayed in a poorly insulated house in Padbury with a thin doona on the bed. It was the coldest I'd been since I slept in a Welsh barn on a school field trip.
No its a small place that does BBQ and gas heaters new and recons.
Most have an idea that WA is warm all year round , we soon got wise and invested in insulation and good heaters.
Cash Convertors are only fit for your druggies they pay a poor price on buying your stuff and rip you off on purchases.

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 7:57 am
Just Joined

NicciS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Im glad the gas heaters have been mentioned. It's the cheapest way to heat a house. For those on a budget, heat only one room, by keeping the door closed, curtains closed, and rugs on the floor if not carpeted. Dimplex heaters with timers, and thermostats are safe for children's rooms at night. but socks and singlets under pj's work just as well.

This is what Im doing in 2 weeks time. So far the weather in the UK has been lovely, so it' going to be a shock for us. Big empty cold house, and no gas heaters yet (I will only be able to afford 1) Ive kept the kids Duffel coats, which i'll use for the school run.

At least Ive had a few weeks of sunshine here before I return.

Oh well.

Nicci
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard

The point is though we are well used to cold weather, particularly in the more northerly reaches of the UK. It's actually the heat that worries me more - you can wrap up to keep warm but there's less you can do if you're too hot.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 11:52 pm
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MartyO

The point is though we are well used to cold weather, particularly in the more northerly reaches of the UK. It's actually the heat that worries me more - you can wrap up to keep warm but there's less you can do if you're too hot.
You live in cosy insulated homes not built in WA , but your are right about the heat.

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

Best thing is to tumble dry at night and sleep in laundry room (beware clothes in morning may only fit action man!)

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heaters

Do you all think that it is a good idea to bring out oil filled radiators if we have them, or can you pick them up cheap in Oz?

I was going to get rid of my water bottles, but I am going to make sure that we all have one.

Whisky
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard
You live in cosy insulated homes not built in WA , but your are right about the heat.

PB

Cheers for the advice. It seems to be the case from yours and others posts that (as in so many other things) there is no direct comparison between here (UK) and Oz in terms of the winter weather. It's not so much that the temperature gets down to 1c which up here in Ecosse is mild, but the fact that building standards and u-values requirements seem to be so much lower in Oz. Are there any regulations in force requiring new building insulation standards or is it entirely down to the common sense and budget of the individual?
Old Jul 4th 2003, 1:46 am
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MartyO

PB

Cheers for the advice. It seems to be the case from yours and others posts that (as in so many other things) there is no direct comparison between here (UK) and Oz in terms of the winter weather. It's not so much that the temperature gets down to 1c which up here in Ecosse is mild, but the fact that building standards and u-values requirements seem to be so much lower in Oz. Are there any regulations in force requiring new building insulation standards or is it entirely down to the common sense and budget of the individual?

This is true my new home in the UK had wall and roof insulation not the way here you pay heavy for just roof insulation no grants here,
The windows are very poor no seals and far too many big windows are built in , double glazing here is 4 times what you would pay in the UK.
Homes are built to a price so corners are cut its up to you if want a shack or a well insulated home at a cost.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 4th 2003 at 5:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.