Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Wikiposts

Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:39 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
From reading peoples comments, it does appear that many people have come over here without understanding what is involved.

My take on it is:

They get their trade evaluated in the UK for Australian purposes.

The Australian authority deem the person to be able to work in that trade in Australia, (probably under employee status, which may not be explained clearly at the time ?).

They arrive in Australia, and want to work as sub contractors, maybe because there is insufficient work as employees, or the wages are too low ?

They then find the rules for contractors are different, and it begins to go pear shaped ?

I don't know that much about trades etc., so the above is just how I see it from what I have read.

I still can't see why a bricklayer needs a management course, can't he just employ a part time book-keeper ?
Eric,
It's a catch 22 situation regarding the trade evaluation. The department that does the assessing is the DET department of education and training. It's written into their criteria that before you can be assessed you must actually reside in Australia and have the necessary PR sticker in your passport.
However there's nothing stopping anyone with a TRA approval from working in their trade for an employer. Electricians and Plumbers are a bit of an anomaly in this as electricians have to retrain to a degree and also pass a first aid/resuscitation course. Plumbers can get a basic licence to work for an employer but it's nearly impossible to get a start without the correct full licence as no-one wants to be responsible for your work.
Your assumption that the problems begin when new arrivals want more than just basic employment [usually casual] for an employer is again correct. The big house and the 4x4 cost more than award wages and as such there's a need to go it on your own. I think the problems arise when people want to live close to the beach in areas populated by more affluent Aussies and immigrants. The cost of these houses are now way out of reach of any aussie tradesman unless he's working for himself running a gang of blokes working for peanuts.
Anyone arriving after the slump in U.K house prices and the huge increase here is going to feel it more than the lucky ones who got in before the boom.
Regarding the Management course all tradies have to do to get their licence: It's just a three day course that outlines the basics of contractual obligations, pricing, GST collection etc. My theory is that it's to stop us tradies from using the old ignorance is bliss "sorry about that I had no idea I had to collect 10% for little Johnny" Making all tradies do the course makes them aware of all their responsibilities so that if they ever do get prosecuted there can be no buck passing.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hmmm ok, yes alot of work in trades here seems to be contract & no holiday/sickleave etc. I can see that that may be quite different to the UK, just didnt seem to be what they were complaining about, maybe I misunderstood.
most tradies work on CIS in the u.k now which does not entitle them to sick pay etc.and again is contract work, a lot of the larger companies still lay off there work force at Christmas and hols etc.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cresta57
Eric,
It's a catch 22 situation regarding the trade evaluation. The department that does the assessing is the DET department of education and training. It's written into their criteria that before you can be assessed you must actually reside in Australia and have the necessary PR sticker in your passport.
However there's nothing stopping anyone with a TRA approval from working in their trade for an employer. Electricians and Plumbers are a bit of an anomaly in this as electricians have to retrain to a degree and also pass a first aid/resuscitation course. Plumbers can get a basic licence to work for an employer but it's nearly impossible to get a start without the correct full licence as no-one wants to be responsible for your work.
Your assumption that the problems begin when new arrivals want more than just basic employment [usually casual] for an employer is again correct. The big house and the 4x4 cost more than award wages and as such there's a need to go it on your own. I think the problems arise when people want to live close to the beach in areas populated by more affluent Aussies and immigrants. The cost of these houses are now way out of reach of any aussie tradesman unless he's working for himself running a gang of blokes working for peanuts.
Anyone arriving after the slump in U.K house prices and the huge increase here is going to feel it more than the lucky ones who got in before the boom.
Regarding the Management course all tradies have to do to get their licence: It's just a three day course that outlines the basics of contractual obligations, pricing, GST collection etc. My theory is that it's to stop us tradies from using the old ignorance is bliss "sorry about that I had no idea I had to collect 10% for little Johnny" Making all tradies do the course makes them aware of all their responsibilities so that if they ever do get prosecuted there can be no buck passing.
Its not that hard for sparks, if they just wont to work for an employer to start with , then they have to attend a special trades collage for about 2 weeks full time to pass a exam, which proves they are wot they say they are. and if they are a city n guilds spark with 20yrs experience, and has always been in the trade, then there is no problem, the exam is nothing more than day to day general Knowledge of what they know anyway.
then you get your job , settle in , then start to make plans to obtain further licences as you go along, at night school etc.or the employer realises you are more capable of just a sparks job and who Knows, my hubby going to take it as a rest , let someone else do the thinking for a while,finding the work paying wages,etc.wot a pleasure he says to just turn up someone supply you with a van and petrol, and tell you to just go there do that.then get paid at the end of the month,Wow.Why run before you can walk, get to Know the lay out, the contacts etc, wholesales,
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Unless your pretty loaded , expectations are amazingly high, for people to trravel 12000 miles, give it all up and start a fresh, its a struggle and one that needs to maturely handled without blaming every man and his dog, except themselves.

I spent a few grand do recky trips on my own,working it all out, as good as the info is on inet, not as good as chatting to people actually in the Industry here in person and on the soil.

That was the best info I got and one that worked well, so I knew what to expect, and what not to...

It also says on your visa in BOLD i think, that a visa doesnt guarentee jobs, and you get no social benefits for unemployment...........
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue
Unless your pretty loaded , expectations are amazingly high, for people to trravel 12000 miles, give it all up and start a fresh, its a struggle and one that needs to maturely handled without blaming every man and his dog, except themselves.

I spent a few grand do recky trips on my own,working it all out, as good as the info is on inet, not as good as chatting to people actually in the Industry here in person and on the soil.

That was the best info I got and one that worked well, so I knew what to expect, and what not to...

It also says on your visa in BOLD i think, that a visa doesnt guarentee jobs, and you get no social benefits for unemployment...........
we have been on a rekie, and now other Sparks, and we spoke to a few companies whilst we were over there and were offered plenty of Sparks jobs,lets just hope it will still be the same when we get there.if we get there should i say, hubby also went into the trades collage and spoke with a tutor, so did the best we could,
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

?

If you don't want to be the employer or employee what else is there to do? [/QUOTE]

If you read all the replies then you'd realise that i was just answering some questions that were bein asked.........

John would be quite happy to pay wages to a gang..........if he could get one!!! (not a lot of people would be in financially able to do that - or want to for that matter it's quite a gamble)

The point that i was tryin to make was that it's not has cut and dried as people seem to think............would anybody if they were honest, come to oz get a gang of bricklayers together pay there wages and insurance and be liable for them.........it's not what we thought we'd have to do seeing as there's supposed to be a shortage of brickies..............now 8 months down the line we realise why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice
Red face Re: Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Originally Posted by Pennyhen2
Arrived here April 2005 and after what I know now would not of sold up house, left very good building business to have to deal with all the bullshit of obtaining licences.

Before I could get a builders licence I had to get my trade recognised as a bricklayer again, even after satisfying the TRA, got this eventually and they certainly make a big deal about it, got blue card, went on business course, joined Master Builders who so called fast tracked us after paying $2,500 to complete a Tafe Builders Course, assessor came out before Christmas references were fine, past the course work and he would pass all the information on to the BSA who actually give out the licences but as far as he was concerned licence would be posted shortly.

After chasing up the BSA 10 days ago, they say there is unsufficient evidence of site supervision, even though they can't understand the following points:-

Was a member of NHBC in the UK - certificate issued to them
References from Architects - to confirm I was a builder and supervised jobs to a very high standard and had known me for at least 15 years
Local building inspectors from the Council who check works carried out at every stage.
12 excellent references from previous clients

After speaking to the BSA again - we know have to go and see them in Brisbane and supply our business books, photographic evidence and whatever else we can think of in the meantime.

The BSA are very unhelpful, down talking, sarcastic and not sympathetic to us at all in out situation.

Also another fact I have realised is that BSA do not like working with the Masterbuilders, they do not like it that I have taken membership out with them and easy to pass the buck, if you want to know anything the BSA say ring Masterbuilders, even though its the BSA I am dealing with.

All I can warn other trades people is to bring out plenty of references as we did and still having problems, expect a load of bullshit and cost.

After saying all that I don't think their is a great deal of money to be made at the moment, since we have been here house prices have dropped slightly but land prices are holding well.

My wife is ready to return to the UK, the kids absolutely love it here, so there is a little bit of consolation.

snap, snap, snap!! all sounds familiar hubby is a plumber and is working longer hours than he ever did in UK He has provisional licence and is trying to get his gas qualifications recognised (for a fee of course)
He reckons the finish is poor quaility and cannot believe no one bothers to put access or service points anywhere and dont get him going on the use of oxyacetaline rather than solder!!
hopefully will turn a corner after 12months??
Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Good old Mr Diamond.

He clears up what has been confusing me no end. So its the contractors or would-be contractors who are miffed.

For employers its all the same.

Unfortunately, as Cresta says, these wages don't pay for the wife's lunch, the 4x4 and the 4x2.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright

So its the contractors or would-be contractors who are miffed.

For employers its all the same.
No, to get work for an employer (licenced contractor) they have to be liable for your work as a tradesman, ie licence is covering your work, obviously many are reluctant to back your UK experience on a aussie job site with their licence or financial risk. Thats why many immigrants go back and have to work as a trades assistant despite being a qualified UK plumber or spark etc. Its a wise move anyway why put yourself up for being sued, get some experience first.

Once you have a licence and start subcontracting YOUR liable for the work of anyone you employ whos not a registered subcontractor, he in turn is liable for the work of his workers on his licence. Basically you want to know who you employ is not going to get you sued.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 19th 2006 at 6:13 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Fitz will become famous soon enough

Hi all

This is a great thread. We are awaiting approval on hubbies 136 MODL General Electrician. We are hoping to emigrate in August. OH has not worked as Electrician for 10 years, therefore the process of licensing in QLD would really suit him as he would luv to go back to his tools. I have to say that I am a bit confused about the process for licensing. I have downloaded all the information and forms, but they appear to be for someone who has completed apprenticeships in OZ. Can anybody let us know what is the process i.e. is it possible to work for a sub-contractor to gain the experience, even if it is for a couple of years. Along with working is it possible to do the training courses/experience to eventually gain a licence. Or do you have to have a licence before you can even work for a sub-contractor. Sorry if this seems confusing, but as I know very little about the process, it is the best I can do.

Thanks for any info.

MK

Originally Posted by JJL family
This is why it really annoys me (not havin a go at you abc) when people make comments on things they know nothing about...........it was a bloody pain in the arse gettin my licence!! and if i'd realised there was goin to be so much red tape i would probably not have come.........it's bin hard work tryin to find a decent job with fair pay !!!!!!!!!!! What i'am tryin to say is untill you've walked in there shoes you can't possably understand what someone's goin through..
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:15 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul Fitz
Hi all

This is a great thread. We are awaiting approval on hubbies 136 MODL General Electrician. We are hoping to emigrate in August. OH has not worked as Electrician for 10 years, therefore the process of licensing in QLD would really suit him as he would luv to go back to his tools. I have to say that I am a bit confused about the process for licensing. I have downloaded all the information and forms, but they appear to be for someone who has completed apprenticeships in OZ. Can anybody let us know what is the process i.e. is it possible to work for a sub-contractor to gain the experience, even if it is for a couple of years. Along with working is it possible to do the training courses/experience to eventually gain a licence. Or do you have to have a licence before you can even work for a sub-contractor. Sorry if this seems confusing, but as I know very little about the process, it is the best I can do.

Thanks for any info.

MK
He'll have to lie about not working as an electrician for the last ten years as to qualify for a licence you must have worked at the occupation for 4 out of the last 5 years. If he's progressed to an office job still in the electrical field he may be O.K. I was honest and got knocked back in my first licence application.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Fitz will become famous soon enough

Thanks cresta57. What I really mean would be is it possible to try and get a position as an assistant to a tradesman for say 4 years and then go on to get a licence. He would not feel he would have enough knowledge at this stage to consider having a licence, but would luv to start as say as assistant to a tradesman to regain knowledge.

Thanks

MK

Originally Posted by cresta57
He'll have to lie about not working as an electrician for the last ten years as to qualify for a licence you must have worked at the occupation for 4 out of the last 5 years. If he's progressed to an office job still in the electrical field he may be O.K. I was honest and got knocked back in my first licence application.