Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Wikiposts

Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all
Default Re: Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Originally Posted by janeyray
No not bitter at all, why should I be?

The question was though...Why should a qualified Brickie be a trolley collector, shelf stacker etc etc etc? Thats not being bitter?
Maybe the answer is, he chose that job, no-one made him do it.

Like when I hear people whingeing about where they work, no-one makes you stay,

There are Uni's, colleges etc, want an education get one, want a licence get one,
there's no excuses for not getting anything these days, you cant blame australia, and or their system, I have come to terms with it, and feel it is a fair one, although maybe sometimes a little bureaucratic,

Can anyone tell me or the forum, in logical sequence with costs what it takes to get a licence so I understand the trauma.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:02 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue
Can anyone tell me or the forum, in logical sequence with costs what it takes to get a licence so I understand the trauma.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...75&postcount=7
EDIT: The cost of the 3 day business course was $350ish including lunches Sat Sun and Mon.

That just about sums up the bureaucracy. All a fading memory now, happy as a pig in shit

Last edited by cresta57; Feb 12th 2006 at 10:04 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Seems a bit long winded,

took me 5 years to get my trade, and then another 10years to become experienced and really qualified to be taken seriously,

so I guess if you compare a tradie to me, your lucky, and I know tradies earn more than I do...not that this has any significant meaning,

But thats life and the way things go.....
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paka
when most trades men decide to emigrate, it is usually to give there family a better way of life,(not shelf stacking), if they have been passed by the TRA, then they have had to prove that they are wot they say they are,by experience and qualifications, so why once in oz,must you prove it again, and if it was a question of regs and rules, why not have a short course of about a week , at a minimal cost to pass the rules and regs, to gain the correct cert, to then let the man go and do his job.why make it hard,Why are they saying , yes we pass you as a qualified ---------- , please now come in are country, oh by the way work as a shelf stacker, because we now dont think you are qualified to work as a qualified-------------.confusing, exactly.
Australians dont qualify as builders in a week mate, 4 year trade qual, 12 years total site experience, then got a restricted LIC for 2 years, after a further 3 years site supervision on major projects, finally a general LIC. If you can fit that in a week good luck. RICH
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Australians dont qualify as builders in a week mate, 4 year trade qual, 12 years total site experience, then got a restricted LIC for 2 years, after a further 3 years site supervision on major projects, finally a general LIC. If you can fit that in a week good luck. RICH
No body is saying fit it in a week ,wot i am saying tradies are coming over already with this experience, which has been proven to the TRA, so when they arrive in oz, all they should have to learn is the regs and rules, as there wont be that much difference from the u.k.when they have passed a course showing they are competent to oz rules, etc, then they should be able to work in there trade, to start there oz work history, ok if they have been a contracts manager in the u.k. then they should not be a contracts manager straight away in oz, they should have to work up the ladder again, if they are good at wot they do , it wont take them long anyway.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paka
No body is saying fit it in a week ,wot i am saying tradies are coming over already with this experience, which has been proven to the TRA, so when they arrive in oz, all they should have to learn is the regs and rules, as there wont be that much difference from the u.k.when they have passed a course showing they are competent to oz rules, etc, then they should be able to work in there trade, to start there oz work history, ok if they have been a contracts manager in the u.k. then they should not be a contracts manager straight away in oz, they should have to work up the ladder again, if they are good at wot they do , it wont take them long anyway.
If your going to be house painting the above may work, but as a Builder your going to be held legally responsible for the work of every subcontractor on a house or project the above will not work, you need extensive experience. Things ARE different here.

When you tender for jobs you need to prove related experience usually by project name, no matter what your price you wont get the work if you havent done a similar project. The difficulty a lot of people would be having is there are already a lot of experienced tradesmen about looking for work, being new and unexperienced it will be difficult to win contracts. RICH
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jad n rich
If your going to be house painting the above may work, but as a Builder your going to be held legally responsible for the work of every subcontractor on a house or project the above will not work, you need extensive experience. Things ARE different here.

When you tender for jobs you need to prove related experience usually by project name, no matter what your price you wont get the work if you havent done a similar project. The difficulty a lot of people would be having is there are already a lot of experienced tradesmen about looking for work, being new and unexperienced it will be difficult to win contracts. RICH
think we have are wires cross my fault sorry, i am on about tradies coming over and working for an employer , not working subcontracting.
we are a small electrical sub contracting company in the u.k and have been for the last 9 yrs, but we would never dream of coming over and going straight into subcontracting.my hubby intends to work for an employer first, work his way up to management for about 12mths. then re assess the subcontracting route, when we now the ins and outs. before this time line it would be suicidal.how could any tradie expect to come over and just get contracts in there own right, it wouldn't happen in the u.k.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:01 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

We know exactly how you feel. Andrew is a time served carpenter and has all his papers etc but still has obtained his bluecard, which was a total farce, then he was told he had to have agold card and a QMBA licence. He can work in the workshops but not on site, he has now taken a job with an agency on site which only requires him to have a blue card and insurance. Oh the other crock that we have had to deal with is people offering to pay him $18 an hour, I got more than this as a casual cleaner when we first got here. Things are definitely looking up now that we are in Bundy. He gets paid a decent rate and works decent hours.
Good luck with everything.
Sarah
Originally Posted by Pennyhen2
Arrived here April 2005 and after what I know now would not of sold up house, left very good building business to have to deal with all the bullshit of obtaining licences.

Before I could get a builders licence I had to get my trade recognised as a bricklayer again, even after satisfying the TRA, got this eventually and they certainly make a big deal about it, got blue card, went on business course, joined Master Builders who so called fast tracked us after paying $2,500 to complete a Tafe Builders Course, assessor came out before Christmas references were fine, past the course work and he would pass all the information on to the BSA who actually give out the licences but as far as he was concerned licence would be posted shortly.

After chasing up the BSA 10 days ago, they say there is unsufficient evidence of site supervision, even though they can't understand the following points:-

Was a member of NHBC in the UK - certificate issued to them
References from Architects - to confirm I was a builder and supervised jobs to a very high standard and had known me for at least 15 years
Local building inspectors from the Council who check works carried out at every stage.
12 excellent references from previous clients

After speaking to the BSA again - we know have to go and see them in Brisbane and supply our business books, photographic evidence and whatever else we can think of in the meantime.

The BSA are very unhelpful, down talking, sarcastic and not sympathetic to us at all in out situation.

Also another fact I have realised is that BSA do not like working with the Masterbuilders, they do not like it that I have taken membership out with them and easy to pass the buck, if you want to know anything the BSA say ring Masterbuilders, even though its the BSA I am dealing with.

All I can warn other trades people is to bring out plenty of references as we did and still having problems, expect a load of bullshit and cost.

After saying all that I don't think their is a great deal of money to be made at the moment, since we have been here house prices have dropped slightly but land prices are holding well.

My wife is ready to return to the UK, the kids absolutely love it here, so there is a little bit of consolation.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:03 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teach
We know exactly how you feel. Andrew is a time served carpenter and has all his papers etc but still has obtained his bluecard, which was a total farce, then he was told he had to have agold card and a QMBA licence. He can work in the workshops but not on site, he has now taken a job with an agency on site which only requires him to have a blue card and insurance. Oh the other crock that we have had to deal with is people offering to pay him $18 an hour, I got more than this as a casual cleaner when we first got here. Things are definitely looking up now that we are in Bundy. He gets paid a decent rate and works decent hours.
Good luck with everything.
Sarah
Nice to hear from you Sarah, I'm glad things are looking up for you
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by teach
We know exactly how you feel. Andrew is a time served carpenter and has all his papers etc but still has obtained his bluecard, which was a total farce, then he was told he had to have agold card and a QMBA licence. He can work in the workshops but not on site, he has now taken a job with an agency on site which only requires him to have a blue card and insurance.
Sarah

So, to work on a site he was asked to provide the same stuff an aussie would be required to provide. Should that really be a problem
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Can anyone tell me or the forum, in logical sequence with costs what it takes to get a licence so I understand the trauma.[/QUOTE]

Here goes...............BRICKLAYIN LICENCE

safety blue card.................4 hours college

manegment course.............3 full days (time off work)

50 page assesment :scared: .......a good few nights studyin

3 days at college....................re-trainin (time off work)

These are some of the things that you need to have before you can even send of for your skills to be assessed... will charge you for assessing your skills and when they feel there is sufficient evidence..............they will send off for the licence.

The whole process took about 4 - 5 months and it cost about $2500.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JJL family
Here goes...............BRICKLAYIN LICENCE
<..>manegment course.............3 full days (time off work)
I can see why some people will be confused.

Why does a Bricklayer need to learn Management ?

Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

If you achieve a licence and start working as a subcontractor your running your own business, you need a ABN, your responsible for collecting and paying GST etc. Theres also heaps on contracts for every job, liablility etc.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 2:26 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

just to let everyone know, that it's not only australia that makes you jump through hoops to work in another country. my girlfriend also has to go through the same sort of stuff if she wants to work in her field in the uk
Old Feb 13th 2006, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

This is why it really annoys me (not havin a go at you abc) when people make comments on things they know nothing about...........it was a bloody pain in the arse gettin my licence!! and if i'd realised there was goin to be so much red tape i would probably not have come.........it's bin hard work tryin to find a decent job with fair pay !!!!!!!!!!! What i'am tryin to say is untill you've walked in there shoes you can't possably understand what someone's goin through..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.