Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Wikiposts

Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Old Feb 10th 2006, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice
Default Re: Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Originally Posted by Pennyhen2
Arrived here April 2005 and after what I know now would not of sold up house, left very good building business to have to deal with all the bullshit of obtaining licences.

Before I could get a builders licence I had to get my trade recognised as a bricklayer again, even after satisfying the TRA, got this eventually and they certainly make a big deal about it, got blue card, went on business course, joined Master Builders who so called fast tracked us after paying $2,500 to complete a Tafe Builders Course, assessor came out before Christmas references were fine, past the course work and he would pass all the information on to the BSA who actually give out the licences but as far as he was concerned licence would be posted shortly.

After chasing up the BSA 10 days ago, they say there is unsufficient evidence of site supervision, even though they can't understand the following points:-

Was a member of NHBC in the UK - certificate issued to them
References from Architects - to confirm I was a builder and supervised jobs to a very high standard and had known me for at least 15 years
Local building inspectors from the Council who check works carried out at every stage.
12 excellent references from previous clients

After speaking to the BSA again - we know have to go and see them in Brisbane and supply our business books, photographic evidence and whatever else we can think of in the meantime.

The BSA are very unhelpful, down talking, sarcastic and not sympathetic to us at all in out situation.

Also another fact I have realised is that BSA do not like working with the Masterbuilders, they do not like it that I have taken membership out with them and easy to pass the buck, if you want to know anything the BSA say ring Masterbuilders, even though its the BSA I am dealing with.

All I can warn other trades people is to bring out plenty of references as we did and still having problems, expect a load of bullshit and cost.

After saying all that I don't think their is a great deal of money to be made at the moment, since we have been here house prices have dropped slightly but land prices are holding well.

My wife is ready to return to the UK, the kids absolutely love it here, so there is a little bit of consolation.
Hi Sam and James,
We really sympathise, you have been here a lot longer than us and its obviously been a very disappointing and costly time!!
Our kids are also very settled and as you know Peter (another builder!) has had to go back to UK to finalise our house sale, due on Friday 17th Feb, but he can't wait to get back here. He says the UK is very negative and cold, so I'm just encouraging you to consider all the options before you go back!! Maybe one of you should go back first to see if its the right thing now you've been here so long.
I was feeling a bit homesick a few weeks ago and just went to Sydney for the day before he flew back to the UK and it helped me a lot, I couldn't wait to get back to the hot weather and relaxed way of life in QLD,and I didn't realise how much I loved it here till then.
We know of builders, sparkies and plumbers in QLD who are not working in their trade because they are can't wait to get a licence but those who stay seem to find some way to make a go of it....
I am thinking of starting my own business and Peter is saying he will look at other things if his licence is difficult. Its hard when you have so much experience and have been successful in the UK to change things but its the only way to stay and only you can decide what is best for you.
Thanks for your hints on getting refs, accounts etc, best for us all to be prepared for hassle even if we are already here, just let us know when/if you get it, and any other things they ask you for.
Will be in touch!!

Sherie and Pete
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRICKY ADE
Hi Draper5

I would also be interested to here from any one as this thread has sent us into total panic :scared: (just had our med's request) and don't want to be throwing more money away if there are no jobs when we get out there.

what i can't get my head round is, if there isn't many or any jobs for brickies why the hell is it on the MODL jobs in demand list.!!!! as we also have 2 children and a comfortable life here.
Thanx any advice would be gratefully received
Amanda x

Because there are jobs, but often the skills shortages are not in highly desirable coastal and city areas where everyone wants to live. Its often outback, out west etc where living conditions would be perceived harsh by many aussies let alone english people.

Theres a lot of threads on this at the mo, (its eye opening that once one person was brave enought to say it others joined in). Anyway in one of them it explained the housing industry in australia has had quite a decline in since 2003, the gov seems to have completely overlooked this factor that less house starts means less trade jobs.

You also need to be very flexible here anyway, many tradesmen move around for work, currently theres loads of guys working in Mackay, Mount Isa, Darwin etc. Perth is experiencing the boom the rest of australia has already been through in the early 2000's, the thing is tho its been booming for a good 2/3 years now and looks about to peak too, (house prices there have now reached a par with brisbane melb etc).

Probably the best peice of advice is, if your coming out as a tradesman be prepred to do what the aussies have to do, move around to where the work is, be that travelling 200klm round trip a day for work or spending stints in outback towns. In quiter times that is what aussie tradies do. And be very aware of the oft discussed licensing system.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRICKY ADE
Hi Draper5

I would also be interested to here from any one as this thread has sent us into total panic :scared: (just had our med's request) and don't want to be throwing more money away if there are no jobs when we get out there.

what i can't get my head round is, if there isn't many or any jobs for brickies why the hell is it on the MODL jobs in demand list.!!!! as we also have 2 children and a comfortable life here.
Thanx any advice would be gratefully received
Amanda x
When a trade goes onto the MODL it usually means the demand has peaked or is no longet there. Just look at IT.

The government is always out of touch with reality & behind the curve.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

This is all funny, a few points..

We are In Aus not UK,

Should have done your research first,

Just do the licence, if you know your job shouldnt be a problem,

I cant see what all the fuss is about,

I wonder how many get annoyed,about foriegners coming to the Uk, on £4.50 an hour doing trade jobs,

Did you not do trade certs in the Uk,

remember theres only 22million people here, not 65 million therefor less houses and property,

Alot of people dont really know what they are doing, trade recognition protects the industry, and people being served by unqualified rip off merchants,
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue

We are In Aus not UK,

I wonder how many get annoyed,about foriegners coming to the Uk, on £4.50 an hour doing trade jobs,

remember theres only 22million people here, not 65 million therefor less houses and property,

Alot of people dont really know what they are doing, trade recognition protects the industry, and people being served by unqualified rip off merchants,
You sound like someone who thinks having an NHBC cetificate on a house in the UK means the house is well built.....
or someone who thinks a builder who advertises as being a member of the Master Builders, is a good reliable builder......... Its not so simple as that!!

My cousin in Melbourne has a building business and hubbie has been amazed at his limited knowledge, he's been showing him how cost up and do things, even though he has been building in OZ for nearly 40 years. He might have a licence but he couldn't build and cost a project as well we could.

The licence system in QLD means it is very hard to get building work without a licence and it is not easy to find out about this whilst you're in the UK. It is very difficult when you're here because you get different answers depending on who you speak to. The BSA offices vary in what they say as do the Master Builders so its a complete farce that goes on and on.
If someone had told us it could be 6-12 months or more to get a licence we would have had more idea. Building/electrical trades people coming here from the UK need a lot of savings and be willing to do other things which may well be low paid for a while.

My main concern is that in OZ there is such a waste of skills. The visa system gives more points to people with a trade/skills so you don't expect to come out here and not get work for months.The country ends up paying more in family assistance and they say they have a skill shortage....this is just NOT true. They just take ages to recognise your skills and keep moving the boundaries of what you need to get a licence.

I also disagree there's less building work, here in the GC people are crying out for house builders, lots of people are moving to SE QLD and want their own home built. People buy land and they can't get a builder to build them a house. We have already got 2 people who want us to build them a house so we just have to tell them they could have a long wait.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a house builders LIC means you know the rules and regs relating to everything on every aspect of the job, these Building codes, Rules, regulations and building methods are often totally different from UK methods.
Whatever work you perform you are liable for it for years.

The builders LIC isnt just hard to get for immigrants its the same process for australians. We are required to provide YEARS of australian site experience and anything up to university qualifications plus financial liability. Why would it be any different for someone from overseas. RICH
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pennyhen2
Arrived here April 2005 and after what I know now would not of sold up house, left very good building business to have to deal with all the bullshit of obtaining licences.

Before I could get a builders licence I had to get my trade recognised as a bricklayer again, even after satisfying the TRA, got this eventually and they certainly make a big deal about it, got blue card, went on business course, joined Master Builders who so called fast tracked us after paying $2,500 to complete a Tafe Builders Course, assessor came out before Christmas references were fine, past the course work and he would pass all the information on to the BSA who actually give out the licences but as far as he was concerned licence would be posted shortly.

After chasing up the BSA 10 days ago, they say there is unsufficient evidence of site supervision, even though they can't understand the following points:-

Was a member of NHBC in the UK - certificate issued to them
References from Architects - to confirm I was a builder and supervised jobs to a very high standard and had known me for at least 15 years
Local building inspectors from the Council who check works carried out at every stage.
12 excellent references from previous clients

After speaking to the BSA again - we know have to go and see them in Brisbane and supply our business books, photographic evidence and whatever else we can think of in the meantime.

The BSA are very unhelpful, down talking, sarcastic and not sympathetic to us at all in out situation.

Also another fact I have realised is that BSA do not like working with the Masterbuilders, they do not like it that I have taken membership out with them and easy to pass the buck, if you want to know anything the BSA say ring Masterbuilders, even though its the BSA I am dealing with.

All I can warn other trades people is to bring out plenty of references as we did and still having problems, expect a load of bullshit and cost.

After saying all that I don't think their is a great deal of money to be made at the moment, since we have been here house prices have dropped slightly but land prices are holding well.

My wife is ready to return to the UK, the kids absolutely love it here, so there is a little bit of consolation.
Excuse my ignorance, but is it only Queensland that the building licence is required or is it nationwide? I know some of the states have their own rules / laws etc.

I would imagine that there will be plenty of work for building trade operatives in Australia even if it is working for someone, although I have been self-employed virtually all of my working life post apprenticeship. I can understand the requirement to be licensed and if we are being realistic most of us in the building trades in UK are on CIS with quite a lot of folk working for a sub-contractor so whats the big deal?

Surely it will be better to work for a sub-contractor or company in nice weather etc than being soaked to the skin and frozen!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue

We are In Aus not UK,

i agree but it seems the origanal poster did do there research. as have we. my husband is a painter and decorater. contacted the Master Painters Ass. (MPA) who said they could assess his skills on site and give him a certificate. this is all well and good but to get a job without a licence is a nightmare. i must have admit the guy at the MPA has been very helpful and is arranging for hubby to do his BSA management course by correspndence so he will have it done before we get there.
the building game in the UK is just as much of a nightmare. in work one day and out of work the next. hubby was laid of xmas eve and that wasn't the first time that has happened. i'm afraid you just have to take the rough with the smooth and make the best of it. when the money is there it's very good but when it isn't your f***ed! good luck with everything. selina xxx
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:09 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lacey21

Stack shelves, wheel trolleys what ever, believe me there is nothing over here and it is getting worse. xx
I'd just like to say that this must be the most common frase on this website...

Why oh why would you go to the other side of the world to stack shelves, wheel trolleys, clean toilets, paint fences, etc etc etc if you've never done that before?

Saying you'd do anything just to be somewhere the sun shines more than the UK, to be free of the knife yobs, to get away from the rain is not reality.

Being somewhere like Perth/Brisbane/Sydney and doing a job like you've mentioned above won't support a family. The brickie who posted his feelings is right to be angry, he is a professional tradesperson, he wants to suport his family how he knows best, not by going out and wheeling trolleys for $10 an hour.

It seems all to easy to say it when you're in the UK but once you're in OZ its a different ball game when familes are concerned.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:15 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JJL family
replies like this really piss me off

Do you know how much shelf stackers or shifting trollies pays (doubt it )
about $15 .70 an hour.........what grown man with a trade would want to do that for a living....... Australia might be nice but you've still gotta live and pay the bills. Also how can you manage to survive when your getting yourself a career change.

My sentiments entirely.

I think the comment is part of the 'follow the dream ball' that gets rolling and cant stop till people have left dreary, cold, bad, bad UK. Lets do anything when we get to OZ even if it's something we wouldn't dream of doing in the UK??!!

It's easily done though so we shouldn't be to hard, I think maybe I even said it when I was emmigrating !!!!!! :scared:
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sherie_in_oz]
My cousin in Melbourne has a building business and hubbie has been amazed at his limited knowledge, he's been showing him how cost up and do things, even though he has been building in OZ for nearly 40 years. He might have a licence but he couldn't build and cost a project as well we could.[QUOTE]

Am I the only one who finds that paragraph a tad patronising Why is the way you do it better. If he has been building for 40 years and surviving, he can't have been doing too bad a job of it surely

Why don't people (generally, not you) accept you are in a completely different country, where they do things differently, not necessarily worse, or even better, just different
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:25 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
I think the comment is part of the 'follow the dream ball' that gets rolling and cant stop till people have left dreary, cold, bad, bad UK. Lets do anything when we get to OZ even if it's something we wouldn't dream of doing in the UK??!!
Not that you're bitter or anything
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:27 am
home again, home again

Originally Posted by Hutch
Not that you're bitter or anything

No not bitter at all, why should I be?

The question was though...Why should a qualified Brickie be a trolley collector, shelf stacker etc etc etc? Thats not being bitter?
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:57 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
The question was though...Why should a qualified Brickie be a trolley collector, shelf stacker etc etc etc? Thats not being bitter?
But thats the point isnt it - they are NOT qualified to Australian standards. Hence the problem in getting licenced. Nobody suggested that TRA or skills assesment meant you were then qualified to Australian standards.

I want my house built by a person with Australian experience and complied with the codes and regs here. You could have built 100 houses in the UK and I still wouldnt be interested in using you.

If you needed an operation would you seriously allow a surgeon with a non recognised qualification in the UK or indeed Australia, operate on you ? Peoples homes are probably the largest investment they make and are also very important.

I fully sympathise and appreciate the situation that some find themselves in relation to getting licenced in various states, but I'd rather have that system in place to offer me some form of security as a customer rather than any old bloke who has never built a thing here being able to take my money on the promise of building a house.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Centurion
But thats the point isnt it - they are NOT qualified to Australian standards. Hence the problem in getting licenced. Nobody suggested that TRA or skills assesment meant you were then qualified to Australian standards.

I want my house built by a person with Australian experience and complied with the codes and regs here. You could have built 100 houses in the UK and I still wouldnt be interested in using you.

If you needed an operation would you seriously allow a surgeon with a non recognised qualification in the UK or indeed Australia, operate on you ? Peoples homes are probably the largest investment they make and are also very important.

I fully sympathise and appreciate the situation that some find themselves in relation to getting licenced in various states, but I'd rather have that system in place to offer me some form of security as a customer rather than any old bloke who has never built a thing here being able to take my money on the promise of building a house.
when most trades men decide to emigrate, it is usually to give there family a better way of life,(not shelf stacking), if they have been passed by the TRA, then they have had to prove that they are wot they say they are,by experience and qualifications, so why once in oz,must you prove it again, and if it was a question of regs and rules, why not have a short course of about a week , at a minimal cost to pass the rules and regs, to gain the correct cert, to then let the man go and do his job.why make it hard,Why are they saying , yes we pass you as a qualified ---------- , please now come in are country, oh by the way work as a shelf stacker, because we now dont think you are qualified to work as a qualified-------------.confusing, exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.