Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Wikiposts

Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Originally Posted by lawlaw
well I cant wait to get to queensland

You'll be sorry! There's a huge bloody cyclone coming down the East Coast that weekend
Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Red Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of light

There is also a chappie living here on the Sunshine Coast who was a lecturer in a college in the UK, he has had a career change, now working in blockbusters, so serious think about what you are doing.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf
Does not having a licence mean you can't work anywhere? I just thought that it meant that you couldn't work self employed or that your wages would be much lower.

My husband is a Carptenter and we are hoping to come out to the Sunshine coast in August time. I know that he has to do a Tafe course and get a licence but was assuming that this would mean he would be on lower wages until he had his licence, now I am worried about him finding work out there.

Cheers
I'm not sure if your question has been answered, but I was under the impression that a Tradesperson can work for someone else while doing the exams or whatever is required.

During that period they learn the "Australian regulations and ways", albeit at a lower wage, whilst learning those aspects.

I am basing that info on some tradespeople that I know, that have come over, and got immediate work, whilst setting about getting relevant licences etc., to become self employed.

I think this applies to most trades, but I can see how you would be happy to have this confirmed.

Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Red Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Dave and Sam

We are not too bad considering....I haven't been much on british expats since we left too much bullshit to sort out, how are things with you, and where are you at the moment UK/Aus?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawlaw
well I cant wait to get to queensland
You'll be sorry! There's a huge bloody cyclone coming down the East Coast that weekend
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I have worked in between courses, etc but I haven't come to the other end of the world to lay bricks, I might as well be 18 again, don't you see my point.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pennyhen2
Arrived here April 2005 and after what I know now would not of sold up house, left very good building business to have to deal with all the bullshit of obtaining licences.

Before I could get a builders licence I had to get my trade recognised as a bricklayer again, even after satisfying the TRA, got this eventually and they certainly make a big deal about it, got blue card, went on business course, joined Master Builders who so called fast tracked us after paying $2,500 to complete a Tafe Builders Course, assessor came out before Christmas references were fine, past the course work and he would pass all the information on to the BSA who actually give out the licences but as far as he was concerned licence would be posted shortly.

After chasing up the BSA 10 days ago, they say there is unsufficient evidence of site supervision, even though they can't understand the following points:-

Was a member of NHBC in the UK - certificate issued to them
References from Architects - to confirm I was a builder and supervised jobs to a very high standard and had known me for at least 15 years
Local building inspectors from the Council who check works carried out at every stage.
12 excellent references from previous clients

After speaking to the BSA again - we know have to go and see them in Brisbane and supply our business books, photographic evidence and whatever else we can think of in the meantime.

The BSA are very unhelpful, down talking, sarcastic and not sympathetic to us at all in out situation.

Also another fact I have realised is that BSA do not like working with the Masterbuilders, they do not like it that I have taken membership out with them and easy to pass the buck, if you want to know anything the BSA say ring Masterbuilders, even though its the BSA I am dealing with.

All I can warn other trades people is to bring out plenty of references as we did and still having problems, expect a load of bullshit and cost.

After saying all that I don't think their is a great deal of money to be made at the moment, since we have been here house prices have dropped slightly but land prices are holding well.

My wife is ready to return to the UK, the kids absolutely love it here, so there is a little bit of consolation.
Maybe you should change your heading title to say "Do not come to Queensland if you are in the building trade" as this is certainly not indicative of 99% of the other professions and experiences in Queensland.

I do sympathise with you though and wish you all the best.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 3:23 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have worked in between courses, etc but I haven't come to the other end of the world to lay bricks, I might as well be 18 again, don't you see my point.
As far as the BSA are concerned you may just as well be 18 again.
As far as I'm aware the BSA require you to have at least 4 yrs experience before they will even consider you for a builders licence. Doesn't matter to them how many years experience you have in the U.K it's here in Australia where it counts. Things are very different here new rules and regs to learn as well as new building practices. You can't expect to get off the plane and say your a builder as that just doesn't happen. Hands on experience is what's needed. Yeah right
That said it took me 9 months to get a licence to work here and that was after being refused one as a brickie as I'd not got the required experience. I passed the TRA as a brickie but as I'd been honest on my application [big mistake] I'd told them I'd been supervisor/foreman on a job for the last 2/3 yrs and the job was converting bathrooms to level entry shower rooms for the disabled. Sorry you'll have to apply as a tiler in that case as your recent work experience is as a tiler FFS. In the end I asked my U.K employer to write a letter stating I was capable of doing all the tasks on the Tiling check list. Like most brickies I'd do just about the whole job back in the bad old country "Footings to flashing's" my old boss used to say.
Here it is one man one trade they even have four different blokes come to put a tiled roof on. One places the sarking then another comes out to fix the battens followed by another gang who tile the roof but don't do any cutting in on the valleys or any ridge work as that's done by the next bloke. Deb and I used to joke that the average Aussie tradie couldn't learn the whole job and had to do just a small part of it to enable him to be any good. I'm not sure just how close to the truth that is Union influence plays little part in the great scope of things up here I've never met anyone on-site who's actually been in or is a member of any union. I blame licencing rigmarole on the bloody bureaucrats here who don't actually do or make anything so they have to carve out a slice of everyone else income. You pay for your skills to be assessed by an assessor who's some snot nosed kid just out of school and if you don't meet every tick in the right box he's ****ed "computer says naaaaa".
After a while you'll learn to accept that it's just part of life here you either chill and get on with it or it eats you up until you become as bitter as Mike St***on and the rest of the Australia is crap brigade. I love it here and the nightmare of licencing is just a fading memory .
Old Feb 10th 2006, 3:57 pm
Dobro

huey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nice

[QUOTE=rossifumi]There's a lot of people in the same boat.
I have e-mailed the Civil Aviation Safety Authority for information on conversion to their licenses, I had a very brief reply which seems an age ago, it stated

You will need to sit an Air Law exam and do a flight test.You should already meet the syllabus requirements for hours flown.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 6:58 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

And on top of all the shit mentioned above there's no ****ing zebras either.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:05 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bix
And on top of all the shit mentioned above there's no ****ing zebras either.
Ya Horses.......
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:24 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=huey]
Originally Posted by rossifumi
There's a lot of people in the same boat.
I have e-mailed the Civil Aviation Safety Authority for information on conversion to their licenses, I had a very brief reply which seems an age ago, it stated

You will need to sit an Air Law exam and do a flight test.You should already meet the syllabus requirements for hours flown.
Pull and the houses get smaller: push and they get bigger.

There: you're qualified!
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

draper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nice

Hi
We're in middle of TRA application. Husband had own building co for 15 years or so. We've got to apply as though he's a brickie and are trying to jump through hoops to get all relevant paperwork. Now beginning to wonder whether we should bother if it's such a hassle to get employment when we get there. We were given impression that it'd be easy to get work and Oz crying out for brickies as on the MODL list. We were also considering SA but recently read threads from several people there in building trade leaving as they couldn't find work after many months! We have three kids and a comfortable life here, and although our reasons for going were to broaden the boys horizons and give them life experience, I'm not sure we want to risk all we have safely got here! The fact two of them are dyslexic is also worrying me now in regard to schooling in Oz as I've just done a search on this forum and that doesn't look good either....but that's another thread!! :scared:
Anyway, what we'd really like is advice from both sides, as we realise that the people represented on this forum is only a tiny minority of those moving/moved to Oz. So if you are or know of any Brit brickies and their experiences (in any state) please let us know!!! Thanks
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:54 pm
DAMN.........I'M GOOD

BRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by draper5
Hi
We're in middle of TRA application. Husband had own building co for 15 years or so. We've got to apply as though he's a brickie and are trying to jump through hoops to get all relevant paperwork. Now beginning to wonder whether we should bother if it's such a hassle to get employment when we get there. We were given impression that it'd be easy to get work and Oz crying out for brickies as on the MODL list. We were also considering SA but recently read threads from several people there in building trade leaving as they couldn't find work after many months! We have three kids and a comfortable life here, and although our reasons for going were to broaden the boys horizons and give them life experience, I'm not sure we want to risk all we have safely got here! The fact two of them are dyslexic is also worrying me now in regard to schooling in Oz as I've just done a search on this forum and that doesn't look good either....but that's another thread!! :scared:
Anyway, what we'd really like is advice from both sides, as we realise that the people represented on this forum is only a tiny minority of those moving/moved to Oz. So if you are or know of any Brit brickies and their experiences (in any state) please let us know!!! Thanks
Hi Draper5

I would also be interested to here from any one as this thread has sent us into total panic :scared: (just had our med's request) and don't want to be throwing more money away if there are no jobs when we get out there.

what i can't get my head round is, if there isn't many or any jobs for brickies why the hell is it on the MODL jobs in demand list.!!!! as we also have 2 children and a comfortable life here.
Thanx any advice would be gratefully received
Amanda x
Old Feb 10th 2006, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Hi Dave and Sam

We are not too bad considering....I haven't been much on british expats since we left too much bullshit to sort out, how are things with you, and where are you at the moment UK/Aus?

Hello again we are fine.We are in perth and have been for the last 4 months and to be honest we are absolutly loving it.I,m not going to bang on about how we are doing,we are more concerned about you guys.so sorry it,s not going to plan i,ll send you a pm so if you want op chat you give us a bell.

dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.