Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Wikiposts

Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

Old Feb 10th 2006, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all
Default Re: Don't bother coming to Queensland ......

mmmmm, disagree with you there my brother,

I think you are sensitive, you are a new boy, dont forget that, nobody knows you and your in the land of frauds, rip off merchants,,,,,,,,

and development and the rest is up for the taking, be arrogant, show your face, and be a complete ass like the rest...

Qld is a brilliant place, i maintain that always,

the only thing i have obseerved, if you want to work there is loads here, if you dont, you blend into the rest, average arses getting a name for themselves...........
Old Feb 10th 2006, 4:25 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
No, she was just "reading" my usual type reply not what I actually said.

i know you too well mate
Old Feb 10th 2006, 4:34 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

don't we all!
Old Feb 10th 2006, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok only read the first paragraph but do something else for a job.

Stack shelves, wheel trolleys what ever, believe me there is nothing over here and it is getting worse. If you want to bring your kids up with knife welding idiots then be my guest and come back but just try another job, retrain in some thing else hun.

There has gotta to be a way.

Lace (In Crappy Manchester, where most of the knife wielding people live) xx
Old Feb 10th 2006, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JJL family
Can totally relate to you , its total bullshit with all the licensing situation basically its to get more money out of you. i had to apply for my licence also as a bricklayer and the amount of time and money ( not including going back to college) to try and prove yourself .when no disrespect half of the so called tradesmen are COWBOYS. The workmanship is terrible the finished product doesn't look bad but behind it all its terrible :scared: i have never seen a building inspector in all the time i have been here.

Any trades people coming out here you need your licence , because otherwise you will be working for a subby and lining his pockets and believe you me they will have you working for it !!!!!!! ( they work you like Trojans !)
Hi ya, I'm a brickie hoping to be moving to Brisbane area end of the year and didn't realise you had to get a licence not to mention the college thing. Just wondering if you could let me know what I have to do (and cost) to get working.
Also is there many British guys on site over there, is there any British subbies operating there, and are the Aussies ok with you on site.

Cheers

John
Old Feb 10th 2006, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Although Pennyhen has said dont move to Queensland I think this is general frustration with the Australian system. I have read many posts on here regarding the building trade and they all have a similar "feel" to them.

I am not in Oz yet and already see the problems people face and its making me think twice. O.k lifes not all about money and many things about Oz can enhance your life more than the U.K can but who wants to stuggle anywhere. You walk over hot coals to pass the TRA and yet when in Oz it seems to count for nothing. I cannot speak from experience but people I have spoke to say the building standards in Oz are poorer than in the U.k There are cowboys in the U.K but generally I think standards have improved in the U.K and are very high.

This is not bragging but I have fantastic references from B&Q and John Lewis (extreme high standards) and this should be good enough. Any proper tradesman knows if you give someone a start you can tell very quickly if they are any good or not.

This is not an anti Oz post but as long as they continue to make things difficult for tradespeople coming then they will always have a skills shortage - do they want people or not!
Old Feb 10th 2006, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

ASTROGAZ has a spectacular aura aboutASTROGAZ has a spectacular aura aboutASTROGAZ has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like a real bummer mate but keep your head up, Im a brickie also and have ran my own business and been a site mgr the lot really, I thought the TRA was sufficient but obviously not ( something ny agent never told me) we are coming over in 10 months and now im concerned . I couldnt work for anyone else, apart from the outset and feel i have a lot to offer but this seems complicated, could you give me any sort of help? or advice I could also give you a hand if neede in the Uk? we seem to be in the same boat.
Keep your chin up though got to be better than ere, my finger stuck to a brick this mornin -6 in Sunderland and crime out of control my kids are 11 and 13 and QLD sounds like a better place to be even with the tossers messin ya around good luk yung un and keep in touch.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pennyhen2
Arrived here April 2005 and after what I know now would not of sold up house, left very good building business to have to deal with all the bullshit of obtaining licences.

Before I could get a builders licence I had to get my trade recognised as a bricklayer again, even after satisfying the TRA, got this eventually and they certainly make a big deal about it, got blue card, went on business course, joined Master Builders who so called fast tracked us after paying $2,500 to complete a Tafe Builders Course, assessor came out before Christmas references were fine, past the course work and he would pass all the information on to the BSA who actually give out the licences but as far as he was concerned licence would be posted shortly.

After chasing up the BSA 10 days ago, they say there is unsufficient evidence of site supervision, even though they can't understand the following points:-

Was a member of NHBC in the UK - certificate issued to them
References from Architects - to confirm I was a builder and supervised jobs to a very high standard and had known me for at least 15 years
Local building inspectors from the Council who check works carried out at every stage.
12 excellent references from previous clients

After speaking to the BSA again - we know have to go and see them in Brisbane and supply our business books, photographic evidence and whatever else we can think of in the meantime.

The BSA are very unhelpful, down talking, sarcastic and not sympathetic to us at all in out situation.

Also another fact I have realised is that BSA do not like working with the Masterbuilders, they do not like it that I have taken membership out with them and easy to pass the buck, if you want to know anything the BSA say ring Masterbuilders, even though its the BSA I am dealing with.

All I can warn other trades people is to bring out plenty of references as we did and still having problems, expect a load of bullshit and cost.

After saying all that I don't think their is a great deal of money to be made at the moment, since we have been here house prices have dropped slightly but land prices are holding well.

My wife is ready to return to the UK, the kids absolutely love it here, so there is a little bit of consolation.

Sorry to hear your troubles, and I think this is where the point of honest posts come in, good on you for saying it.

My partner is a builder, domestic and commercial, hes said this before (and had people get nasty for saying it) the builder lic is assessed on AUSTRALIAN EXPERIENCE as well as the qualifications side of it. Hes working right now, but I believe before getting his lic, he did a 4 year qualification, 12 years of work experience, which led to site supervision, even then he took further courses to get the licence. He still does on going training courses once a month minimum.

However I would say this, I dont think its silly at all to require that sort of experince, tradesmen here let alone builders are financially and legally read $$$ responsible for their work and any defects caused by you or often NOT caused by you. Its a minefield of of litigation if anything goes wrong, its sent many broke.

Knowing that side of it, I would not want a licence without the aus experience they are asking for, you really do need the experience to protect yourself.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
One of the things that we all say is that you need a license to do anything in Qld. Just another way the government make money.
The incredibly strict licensing thing was brought in to protect the consumer, before that the amount of builders who went bust left unfinished work and then just set up again was extrememly high.

The licence does not cost much at all, but it holds the tradesman/builder 100% legally liable for their work, the aim is to protect the consumer from the financial collapses that used to happen reguarly.

To attempt to protect the tradesman too, extensive experience is now required to obtain a licence, and in the legal climate here you would want to have every bit of experience you could get. People will sue your arse off as much as look at you.

Think about it, does a tradesman from overseas know the thousands of aussie rules and regulations required to prevent themself being sued? of course not, get the experience its in your own best interest.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 10th 2006 at 8:30 am.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:42 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I think many of the problems such as those related here stem from the ultra-nanny-state mentality that has been brainwashed into Oz over the years.

Politicians seem unable to grasp that you can legislate until the cows come home but without effective supervision of the rules it's not only a waste of time and money but actually counterproductive.

The BASIX building code here in NSW is one such case - a complex series of rules for "sustainability" building which apply all over the state. No-one seems to have told them that parts of the place have snow and freeze during the winter! You have to meet cooling requirements - which actually mean that you have extra heating demands during the cold times. And you have to have rainwater tanks, partly feeding into household appliances. Just how much does this save, taking into account the energy cost of the tanks, pumps, plumbing, mains backup etc? Even taking a life of ten years IMO it will waste more than it saves.

My architect says that it's becoming all but impossible to build in NSW now because of these BASIX codes.

Thanks, Bob Carr: add that to your legacy of crumbling transport systems, disintegrating medical infrastructure, complete lack of water supply development, tunnel corruption, tax upon tax..........
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

replies like this really piss me off

Do you know how much shelf stackers or shifting trollies pays (doubt it )
about $15 .70 an hour.........what grown man with a trade would want to do that for a living....... Australia might be nice but you've still gotta live and pay the bills. Also how can you manage to survive when your getting yourself a career change.

Last edited by JJL family; Feb 10th 2006 at 11:06 am.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pennyhen2

My wife is ready to return to the UK, the kids absolutely love it here, so there is a little bit of consolation.

I wish my wife would return to the UK
Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:46 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I wish my wife would return to the UK
I'm surprised she hasn't
Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

It is not only Queensland, my other half is having the same trouble in Adelaide.
He also agrees that the standard of building is crap and says that a lot of the houses are just sheds with plasterboard on the inside.
I tried to say this on another forum and they started spouting off building regs this building regs that, things have to be conformed to etc.
The workmanship on these houses are rank, it needs proper British people to come over and show these aussies how to do it right (if only they were given the chance).
As for stacking shelves etc, I also had this on another forum.
What a lot of crap, for one the other half didn't come over to do shit jobs, he came over because there was supposedley a shortage in skilled people and for another, surely it would be in the best interest of the government if the skilled jobs were filled, otherwise what is the point of advertising for skilled people to come over, just to push trollies, flip burgers etc.

Julie
Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Red Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you all for your replies

The trouble here with the Australians in the building industry, is that they consider a carpentar to be a builder along with plumbers and electricians, they find it hard to understand that in the UK the majority of builders are brickies.

They also find it difficult why building jobs in the UK take so long, how can a brickie be 6 - 12 months on a job ???? Because a brickie/builder can set out, do the soil tests, do the footings, slab, all the brick and blockwork including internal walls, can fix floor joists, lay flooring, roof trusses and even in quiet periods can slate/tile roof and all the landscaping.

Here they have a trade for each job literally..
One chappie to set out
Another for the slab
etc, etc, ............................they are not multi tasked whatsoever.

As with regard to one comment, we did bring all the references, photos and are now having to take the last 7 years books from the UK to the BSA office in Brisbane, the actual assessor from Masterbuilders has seen all the evidence and he is most surprised by the treatment we have received from the BSA.

Also another point, with all references that you do bring out make sure they all have email addresses because believe it or not, the BSA will not ring or write overseas they can only email, how helpful is that eh, they certainly don't bend over backwards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.