Don the Brickie

Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:25 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Don the Brickie

Yep, I'm a brickie. Me and Old Frank are building a brick toolshed in my new housing plot in the neighbouring village here in Central Europe.

Put it this way: I'm paying him but we arrived early this am and Old Frank (pushing 70) started giving me orders. He told me I was just a 'helper' and showed me how to make cement. Something like 3 parts lime (it was runny and white, anyway) plus 1 part cement powder plus sand and water until it looks right.

Which I never seemed to understand. When my cement effort was runny, it had to be firmer (more sand etc). When mine was stiff, it had to be runnier (more water, lime etc). When mine was just perfect, we had to add a bit of everything.

And I had to run around putting bricks in the right place so that Frank could lay them (backbreaking), I had to burn the old wood that used to be the shed's exterior (we kept the steel frame and roof), I had to fetch Frank water when he was thirsty, I had to keep making all that cement (by hand) - it was a rough old day but a good one.

Anyway, we made good progress, toolshed is 60% done. Looks great. Frank's a demon bricklayer, especially on GBP1.50 an hour plus free lemonade.

Tomorrow we finish. Frank will get a bonus. We got enough surplus bricks thanks to my overcalculation to do a nice brick terrace wall as well.

It's good to be a brickie! (Or a brickie helper...! )
Old Apr 29th 2004, 7:19 pm
Don
Banned

Day 2. We finish the brickwork about 2pm, Frank asks me to taste his cold tea in an old bottle of fizz. I say no, I prefer a Coke. Frank insists. Cold tea is a delicious wine made by Frank so we have a few of those!

Then we move onto the rendering. Frank proves as adept at rendering as he is at brickwork. Not bad for a shortarsed old codger of nearly 70. I still have to be the potwash, ie the helper.

Suddenly my rubbish old shed is looking like a fortress that will withstand the ravages of lawnmower thieves!

A good day. We have to finish off the rendering tomorrow, inside as well, then prepare for fencework.

Anyone fancy a photo?!
Old Apr 29th 2004, 7:25 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Anyone fancy a photo?!
Oh I think so. Any work given that much love deserves a bit of appreciation from the board members
Old Apr 29th 2004, 8:43 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely, I'm gagging to see what this actualyl looks like now !
Old Apr 29th 2004, 10:16 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Come on then Lawnmower man give us a pic
Old Apr 29th 2004, 11:08 pm
Badge

Nice one Mr Pleasance!

BM

Old Apr 30th 2004, 4:32 am
Don
Banned

Cheers! The photo's coming, pls be patient...my digi camera went bust, it's my birthday in a couple days' time, wife has been doing a lot of secret shopping...

Well at least I won't be a sad old fart of 40 any more.

Got to have a camera soon as Bonbon/ Jasmine/ Choccy (un-named as yet) the chocolate cocker spaniel pup will be arriving in about a week from today when she's 8 weeks old and we deffo have to have piccies of that momentous occasion!
Old Apr 30th 2004, 7:49 pm
Don
Banned

Finished the rendering.

We also took delivery of 4 tons of gravel/ pebbly stuff mixed in with grey stuff ready for doing the fence, we were going to do it tomorrow am but my man and his son have just called in sick (whoops, excused themselves with dignity) because they reckon they'll have a big hangover.

Tomorrow this bit of Europe is a real part of Europe again after 60 years.

Party tonite for Frank & son.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Don, tell us where you are then!!!
Old Apr 30th 2004, 7:55 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Larissa
Come on Don, tell us where you are then!!!
Not too far from Vienna!

Good skiing is about 3/4 hours away.