Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Domestic Cleaners-Melbourne

Domestic Cleaners-Melbourne

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about
Default Domestic Cleaners-Melbourne

Does anyone know any good cleaning companies that provide household cleaners at a reasonable price? (ideally referenced and insured). I've done some research but struggling to find any for less than $35/hour. Could just be one of those things where it's way more expensive in Melbourne than London, but that's way more than we paid for a cleaner in the UK. It was £9/hour which at the moment is the equivalent of $14/hour and she came referenced and insured and was so good, that even the owner of the cleaning company used her to clean her own house! Not suggesting that's what I'm looking for (as think that would be under minimum wage anyway lol) but maybe somewhere closer to $25/hour. Anyone know of any?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic Cleaners-Melbourne

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
Does anyone know any good cleaning companies that provide household cleaners at a reasonable price? (ideally referenced and insured). I've done some research but struggling to find any for less than $35/hour. Could just be one of those things where it's way more expensive in Melbourne than London, but that's way more than we paid for a cleaner in the UK. It was £9/hour which at the moment is the equivalent of $14/hour and she came referenced and insured and was so good, that even the owner of the cleaning company used her to clean her own house! Not suggesting that's what I'm looking for (as think that would be under minimum wage anyway lol) but maybe somewhere closer to $25/hour. Anyone know of any?

You'll only get that figure cash in hand and word of mouth. There would be plenty though.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:55 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

In Sydney I pay $85 for 2 people for about 1.5 hours, so I'd say your $25 ph is probably the minimum you will pay.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
In Sydney I pay $85 for 2 people for about 1.5 hours, so I'd say your $25 ph is probably the minimum you will pay.
$25 to $30 is the going rate here too.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 9:01 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

And of course that's without factoring in what they break each time they come
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 9:13 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

It was £9/hour which at the moment is the equivalent of $14/hour
Australia's minimum wage is $15.51 per hour.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
Australia's minimum wage is $15.51 per hour.
For fulltime permanent workers.

If working partime or hourly then it's at least 15pct up to 25 pct more than that.

Federal Minimum Wage
The Federal Minimum Wage is reviewed every year. Right now it is $15.51 per hour or $589.30 per week.

This wage rate is the minimum wage for an adult permanent worker employed by a company. (Note that minimum wages for workers in some States are different.)

Casual workers should receive a loading on top of the permanent hourly rate of between 15% and 25%.

Wages for Junior workers (people under 21), apprentices and trainees are usually less than the adult rate.

The wage rate that applies to you might be different to the Federal Minimum Wage. Wage rates for different industries, occupations, employers and job types are set out in awards and agreements.

To find out the wage rate you should be paid you can call your union or for free advice phone the Union Helpline on 1300 4 UNION.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:27 am
Just Joined

bluejetcleaning is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi stuartsummers1980,

The hour rate depends on what type of work you like to get done and how many hours a week is there to be done?
I recommend you shop/ask around before you make a mistake and hire the wrong cleaner.
This is only a suggestion but you can try something like service seeking
Best of luck.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jan 4th 2012 at 5:08 am. Reason: Removed an advertising link.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I would have a look on Gumtree. There are probably people advertising on there for work.

Does the minimum wage thing apply in this situation? If a cleaner is self employed, which is how they tend to work, then surely the hourly rate they choose to charge is up to them?

Love

Rudi
x
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It was £9/hour which at the moment is the equivalent of $14/hour
Are you suggesting that Australian domestic cleaners should have dropped their rates over the last couple of years because sterling weakened. Seriously it is irrelevant that £9 = $14 today.

My cleaner is $30 an hour, seems to be the going rate. I used a company called Absolute Domestics because they are well established and have done all the checks.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
My cleaner is $30 an hour, seems to be the going rate. I used a company called Absolute Domestics because they are well established and have done all the checks.
Would you be able to pm me the details of your cleaner please, i am looking for a recommended cleaner in the sydney area

Cheers
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:35 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
Would you be able to pm me the details of your cleaner please, i am looking for a recommended cleaner in the sydney area

Cheers
They're all only as good as the people they send you; I had a pretty bad (and extremely expensive) experience with somebody from that company.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Are you suggesting that Australian domestic cleaners should have dropped their rates over the last couple of years because sterling weakened. Seriously it is irrelevant that £9 = $14 today.

No of course I'm not suggesting that, I'm aware of the inconsistencies of a straight sterling conversion. But throw the poppycock 2.5/1 at the £9 and still comes out at $22.50/hour. Like I said in my posting it's just clearly one of those things. I'll take a look at Absolute Domestics as $30 sounds more reasonable. Thanks.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikergirl

Cheers
The company is Absolute Domestics, they will provide a cleaner who lives very locally to you so my particular one might not.

Sounds like Seasider had an unfortunate experience with them, we had two people in to do a spring clean before I started the regular clean and now she comes weekly, we are never in when they are in and have been pleased with service so far.