Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dollar Falls after No Rate Rise

Dollar Falls after No Rate Rise

Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:45 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dollar Falls after No Rate Rise

After the Reserve Bank has announced there will be no interest rate rise in Aus at the moment the dollar has fallen slightly which is good news for anyone looking to transfer money from the UK:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E1702,00.html

Dollar falls on steady rates

06apr05

THE dollar has fallen more than one third of a US cent after the central bank left interest rates on hold, with the markets now betting on steady rates for the remainder of the year.

The Reserve Bank of Australia today left official interest rates unchanged at 5.50 per cent after yesterday's monthly board meeting.
The dollar fell from 76.74 US cents just before the announcement at 0930 AEST to 76.38 by 0935.

By 0945 AEST the dollar had fallen to 76.36.

Many economists had expected the RBA's cash rate to rise by a quarter per cent, following a similar rise in March.

ICAP economist Simon Barbetti said the market had expected rates to rise, but had been wary about the possibility of it not happening today.

"We've lost about thirty ticks on the news of the decision," he said.

"It's likely to keep (losing ground) today, there has to be an adjustment to an expected rate rise which would have supported the dollar, and that didn't happen.

"We've also seen the bills rally about seven points in the futures markets so that has cut back on expectations of a hike again."

The June bill futures contract rallied to 94.21 by 0945 AEST from 94.11 ahead of the announcement.

Just before the announcement the yield on the Commonwealth Government April 2015 bond was at 5.615 per cent and the yield on the August 2008 bond was at 5.590 per cent.

At 0935 the yield on the April 2015 bond had risen to 5.635 per cent and the August 2008 was at 5.58 per cent.

privacy terms © Herald and Weekly Times
The BBC Market Data is showing the current exchange rate as $2.45/£ and it does appear to be an upward trend, oh for a crystal ball!!
Attached Thumbnails Dollar Falls after No Rate Rise-chart.jpg  
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:18 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dollar Falls after No Rate Rise

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
After the Reserve Bank has announced there will be no interest rate rise in Aus at the moment the dollar has fallen slightly which is good news for anyone looking to transfer money from the UK:

The BBC Market Data is showing the current exchange rate as $2.45/£ and it does appear to be an upward trend, oh for a crystal ball!!
Well another 5 or 10 cents and i'll be happy come on the pound
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Well another 5 or 10 cents and i'll be happy come on the pound
Positive thoughts. Thats what we should all do. Hope the Election helps us too. not sure how.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

I know not everyone will like me for this but I hope it stays low as we will need to transfer sterling for the $100000 bond investment soon.Knowing our luck it will start to rise in a few weeks time.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
I know not everyone will like me for this but I hope it stays low as we will need to transfer sterling for the $100000 bond investment soon.Knowing our luck it will start to rise in a few weeks time.

I think there is crossed wires here. Surely if you are about to pay your $100K bond, you want the Dollar rate to keep increasing against the pound. Currently Pound to Aus Dollar is $2.46. You want this to rise as far as it can, before you pay your bond.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Sorry I do mean the other way round.Oh dear and I have only had two glasses of wine tonight!!!!!!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

No hang on a minute no I don't as this means that we will have to pay more.
At the moment it is roughly £40,800 that is required to invest if the Aussie dollar goes up it will mean that we will need to find more Uk pounds.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

At the moment it is roughly £40,800 that is required to invest if the Aussie dollar goes up it will mean that we will need to find more Uk pounds.
Hi

I see a little confusion going on, see below example..

A$ @ $2.4 to the £1...means you will need £41,666

A$ @ $2.5 to the £1...means you will need £40,000

The more $ to the £ the less £'s you need!!!

Hope this helps

Tabby
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

How many glasses of wine did you say you had. Trust me, you want the dollar value to go up.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
How many glasses of wine did you say you had. Trust me, you want the dollar value to go up.
Glad your not my finance adviser
If the value of the dollar goes up more pounds will be needed to buy A$100k
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Glad your not my finance adviser
If the value of the dollar goes up more pounds will be needed to buy A$100k
What.. would you rather have 2.4 to the pound,as it is today, or have the dollar rise to 2.7. The later gives you an extra $30k in your pocket, when converting pounds into dollars.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:05 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL it took me ages to get it worked out the right way round. The BBC website http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/f...elve_month.stm

shows it up another cent to $2.46/£ if you look at last year on their graph it peaked in June/July at $2.7 and this has happened historically quite often, maybe it's due to summer hols in the UK? It's slightly higher now than at the same time last year so have fingers crossed for another peak.

It's only an opinion but I reckon it will drop off again before the election as the market will get all jumpy not knowing who will win then after the election it will rise again. No I don't have a crystal ball but have spoken to several people I know in the financial business. But hey anything could happen, will keep fingers crossed and wait n see.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
What.. would you rather have 2.4 to the pound,as it is today, or have the dollar rise to 2.7. The later gives you an extra $30k in your pocket, when converting pounds into dollars.
$2.4 to the pound is a higher vaule "dollar" than " $2.7 to the pound
Think we have our wires crossed
Old Apr 8th 2005, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tabby
Hi

I see a little confusion going on, see below example..

A$ @ $2.4 to the £1...means you will need £41,666

A$ @ $2.5 to the £1...means you will need £40,000

The more $ to the £ the less £'s you need!!!

Hope this helps

Tabby
Yes of course thats exactly it.Maths was never my strong point you know.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

$2.4 to the pound is a higher vaule "dollar" than " $2.7 to the pound
Think we have our wires crossed
Oh Dear now look what I have started.