Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

doje6863s house build

doje6863s house build

Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light
Default doje6863s house build

Well, here goes. Ive been a huge fan of watching other posters and their exploits with house building. So, we (read I!) have decided to have a go at posting ours.

We managed to secure a 600sq plot of land at Seaford, about 40mins south of Adelaide. We originally wanted a much bigger plot of land, but they are becoming increasingly difficult to find on new developments. We invested a lot of time keeping in contact with the land agents so we were in a good postition when the land was released (and sold out!) within one day! We chose our builder after spending weeks and weeks visting every show home in a 90 minute radius. We chose ours purely through the fact we liked him, he was a similar age and had very similar ideas to us. I know thats naive of me before you all start telling me off!

We then chose a house which kind of had a lot of what we wanted and then added, took away and changed what we wanted. Jeff really designed about 85% of the house with David the builder have about 10% and little old me had the rest. It wont work for everyone but for us, its great. Jeff has been offered work with the design section of our builders on the strength of the plans.

We have had a couple of shocks already. The land has not settled yet but our preliminary soil report has come back and our foundations will now cost another $15,000. The price of the house had gone up, so far by another $25,000. So much for being mortgage free.

Thats it so far, will update as and when.

donna
Attached Thumbnails doje6863s house build-latest-house-plans.jpg   doje6863s house build-front-elevation.jpg   doje6863s house build-pioneers.jpg  
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:25 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: doje6863s house build

Looking forward to enjoying your journey

Hope it goes smoothly and a big good luck
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the house. Look forward to continuing pics.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Looking good, good luck with your build
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:46 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doje6863
Well, here goes. Ive been a huge fan of watching other posters and their exploits with house building. So, we (read I!) have decided to have a go at posting ours.

We managed to secure a 600sq plot of land at Seaford, about 40mins south of Adelaide. We originally wanted a much bigger plot of land, but they are becoming increasingly difficult to find on new developments. We invested a lot of time keeping in contact with the land agents so we were in a good postition when the land was released (and sold out!) within one day! We chose our builder after spending weeks and weeks visting every show home in a 90 minute radius. We chose ours purely through the fact we liked him, he was a similar age and had very similar ideas to us. I know thats naive of me before you all start telling me off!

We then chose a house which kind of had a lot of what we wanted and then added, took away and changed what we wanted. Jeff really designed about 85% of the house with David the builder have about 10% and little old me had the rest. It wont work for everyone but for us, its great. Jeff has been offered work with the design section of our builders on the strength of the plans.

We have had a couple of shocks already. The land has not settled yet but our preliminary soil report has come back and our foundations will now cost another $15,000. The price of the house had gone up, so far by another $25,000. So much for being mortgage free.

donna
good luck with it all. i dont think you are being naive. we have broken every rule when it comes to building a house and we know better. i think you still have to have some faith in humanity. we handed our builder $30000 in cash before we went to the uk so he could pay for the slab and all was well.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light

Blimey, cant believe its that long since I did an update!

Well, last week we pulled out of our land purchase as the local council has still not released the land for settlement. They have been appalling in their management of this land.

So anyway, we drove past an "open" last week, put an offer in and move in in three weeks! If we'd continued with the house build it would've been another 8months until we move in.

S'pose everything happens for a reason.

donna
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it does. Hope you'll be happy in the new home and don't 'what if' too much about the land.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:18 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doje6863

donna
Nice one Donna, it is such an exciting, wonderful journey. Good luck with it, I look forward to reading your updates.

ACE