Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Doing your own tax return!!!!

Doing your own tax return!!!!

Old Jun 10th 2007, 4:49 am
Ready to go home!!!

Ginger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant future
Default Doing your own tax return!!!!

Hi all,

We are coming up to our 1 year anniversary in Australia and are due to lodge our first tax return. Can anyone let me know how easy/difficult it is to do it yourself or is it best to get a tax agent to do it. We would be claiming for rebate on childcare costs and obviously because we have never done one before, we want to make sure that we claim for everything we are entitled to.

Any advice would be great as I am tight and don't want to have to pay out unnecessarily!!!

Thanks
Emma
Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doing your own tax return!!!!

Originally Posted by Ginger1002
Hi all,

We are coming up to our 1 year anniversary in Australia and are due to lodge our first tax return. Can anyone let me know how easy/difficult it is to do it yourself or is it best to get a tax agent to do it. We would be claiming for rebate on childcare costs and obviously because we have never done one before, we want to make sure that we claim for everything we are entitled to.

Any advice would be great as I am tight and don't want to have to pay out unnecessarily!!!

Thanks
Emma
Just about 100 pct Guarantee, that a Good tax agent will save you more money than what they cost.

If you can figure out to claim what a tax agent can claim, then you should become one.

In fact the difference between HR Block, and decent private accountant would astound you.

Theres a reason why people use them, and it isn't laziness.

Totally different system in this country.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 6:09 am
Debs M

dhw210770 is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree with Ozzieeagle. You are better off going to a tax agent who will be able to claim as much back as possible. I used to do my own tax return many years ago but since returning from UK, and looking at the tax pack, I will never go down that road again. Plus things change year in year out. A good tax agent is a very good investment in the long run.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:46 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginger1002
Hi all,

Thanks
Emma

A few people replied to a thread I posted the other day about this. Concensus was that pay an accountant...costs about $80 and saves you all the hassle.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:55 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

You can claim the cost against tax as well
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
A few people replied to a thread I posted the other day about this. Concensus was that pay an accountant...costs about $80 and saves you all the hassle.

Cheers

Ginny
It's not just the hassle, I'll guarantee that in the vast majority of clients they take on that they will claim back far more than their fee, than you could ever hope to get doing it yourself. IE: doing it yourself probably costs you far more than an accountants fee.