Reload this Page >

Doing time - the great wait...

Doing time - the great wait...

Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:02 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough
Default Doing time - the great wait...

hi folks,
i know a lot of you have 'done you time' and a lot of you are in the middle of it like me. I just wanted to vent my frustration at the 'great wait'.

we applied for skilled migration back in june (i know it's not long ago!) and up to the day of submission, I was run off my feet certifying documents, getting statements from relatives and finding the cash for the aplpication. although it was a busy time, I think it really gave me a focus.

I know all the stats of the wait and know when to vaguely expect the medicals/police checks, but the wait is driving me nuts. so i have put moving to australia out of my mind to ease things and focus on the here and now and it seems like a far distant dream right now.

how did/are others coping? i know in my heart i really want to go, but sometimes my enthusiasm wains and i think i just want to get on with my life now (like move out of our small one bedroom apartment, get a decent car, book a great holiday...)

and then to top it i read on the forum that processing times are going up again. what torture!

i tell you one weird phenomenom i have encoutered the last couple of months, is the number of friends and relatives asking 'whatever happened to that idea you had of moving to australia, ha, ha, ha? just because i'm not talking about it every day any more, no one is taking it seriouosly any more.

rant over, hows everone else dealing with it all?

flying dutchman
"not flying anywhere, anytime soon!"
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

it is hard for it not to be the first thing you think about in the morning and the last thing you think about at night ( and of course, several times in between in the day! )

We are keeping ourselves busy by decorating the house, to get it in shape for selling in the new year and also doing lots of research on the net for literally everything we need to know:

jobs/work/registration for hubby's job.

schooling/nursery places/fees etc.

housing/prices/rent and buy/accomodation for when we first get there

areas/amenities/hobbies/clubs etc

tax/medicare/private health ins

drinking lots of aussie wine also helps to pass the time!!!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doing time - the great wait...

Originally posted by flying dutchman
hi folks,
i know a lot of you have 'done you time' and a lot of you are in the middle of it like me. I just wanted to vent my frustration at the 'great wait'.

we applied for skilled migration back in june (i know it's not long ago!) and up to the day of submission, I was run off my feet certifying documents, getting statements from relatives and finding the cash for the aplpication. although it was a busy time, I think it really gave me a focus.

I know all the stats of the wait and know when to vaguely expect the medicals/police checks, but the wait is driving me nuts. so i have put moving to australia out of my mind to ease things and focus on the here and now and it seems like a far distant dream right now.

how did/are others coping? i know in my heart i really want to go, but sometimes my enthusiasm wains and i think i just want to get on with my life now (like move out of our small one bedroom apartment, get a decent car, book a great holiday...)

and then to top it i read on the forum that processing times are going up again. what torture!

i tell you one weird phenomenom i have encoutered the last couple of months, is the number of friends and relatives asking 'whatever happened to that idea you had of moving to australia, ha, ha, ha? just because i'm not talking about it every day any more, no one is taking it seriouosly any more.

flying dutchman
I'm feeling much the same - we submitted in August and haven't discussed it much (outside our own family and close friends) as you can't be sure you'll get the visa anyway!
At first I was pretty nervous and "hectic" - during which time I got addicted to expats and started posting lots of frivilous posts as I was pretty bored with the wait. Now I'm coping better and feeling more sure about the whole thing - although I appreciate what we have here, I still want to experience living in Aus.
We've also been postponing things etc. trying to save money, getting DIY done so that when it comes to selling / getting ready to rent, we can do more easily. I think this has given us something to focus on, while we're waiting.
Funny how it takes over your life though - hubby is 30 soon and all I seem to think of is what present to get him which would still be appreciated in Aus? (Think I'll get him a CD rewriter amongst a few little things to spoil him)
Larissa
Hang on in there - make the most of each day (though I never seem to!)
Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Doing time - the great wait...

Originally posted by flying dutchman
hi folks,

flying dutchman
Hi Flying Dutchman
we only submitted the big one in September but know exactly what you are going through! i think the biggest help, is knowing that there are lots of other people going through the same wait!
i've done heaps of research, even looked into sponsoring my mum when we have citizenship!!we've looked at nearly every single suburb and avaliable house on the net!!! the wait is a nightmare it doesn't make it any better when everyone says 'have you heard anything yet!!!!????!!!!!
hang on in there, your time just as ours will come (bloody soon i hope!!!!)
regards
rach
Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we all go through the same panic, thinking today will be the day that the meds are requested and then you lull yourself into thinking oh in a few months we will be there!!

But for me i couldn`t live like that!! We applied in May and for the months after everyday i waited for the postie. But after a few rough months i realised that life has to go on. To be honest i felt i had nothing today after getting all the paperwork done and i felt at a loose end. Now when i get the chance i research and research. I make notes on things that will be useful and look for info.

Also you have to get used to people thinking you are just going through one of your whims!! The amount of comments i get, but i just say" that the app is in and i did say it could be around 2 years"

Good luck to you all that are waiting.

footie chick
Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

The wait can be awful, but if you research as much as possible it will make it pass quickly.

You never know you could always get the visa through quicker than quoted- lots of people do. Get as prepared as you can be so that when it does come through you can leave soon after.

If you own a property get it on the market now. You could also get the meds and Police checks done now and just send them off. Only do this though if you can leave within a year, as your validation date will be early.

Keep busy and the time will pass.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

katchka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default still doing time

hi,
read your email, I am into my 11th month and still no request for medicals, I really have not been counting the days until i realized today that I have not eaten a complete meal for a week. Subconsciously, I am worried even if I act like I am not, its a very strange feeling.. its the not knowing if everything is ok..I'd rather know, good or bad and then get on with it...

To make it even worse, I don;t yet have a case officer.. that's right! 11 months on...
I don't know how much longer I can maintain this suspended animation. I'd rather know..

good luck to all
Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Tinaj

Originally posted by tinaj
The wait can be awful, but if you research as much as possible it will make it pass quickly.

You never know you could always get the visa through quicker than quoted- lots of people do. Get as prepared as you can be so that when it does come through you can leave soon after.

If you own a property get it on the market now. You could also get the meds and Police checks done now and just send them off. Only do this though if you can leave within a year, as your validation date will be early.

Keep busy and the time will pass.
Do you really think it is viable to put the house on the market now and front load the meds/police checks? im interested as we had our acknowledgment via our useless agent today but it had been with him since 21/10!!!!!!, we have a prop to sell, was thinking of putting in on the market after christmas, then applying for p.checks and meds around the same time, in your opinion how likely is it that we would be gone within a year?
best regards
rach x
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:29 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

The waiting is killing me too! - We decided we wanted to move out to NZ in March - got all the forms and discovered we had to have a job offer to get the points.

Now, they need many professions in NZ but communications managers ain't one of them so things were looking pretty black until we got an opportunity that my husband interviewed for last week and now we have to wait to see what they say.

If it is no our dream is pretty much over - if it is yes we could be out there straight after Xmas ( and they would sort out the paperwork - yay!)

I feel like I am in suspended animation - I nearly bought some more teaspoons today ( as we have just two in the house for some reason) then thought - no - just more things to get rid of/ship out - then thought it doesn't matter if we don't go - and ended up buying some more forks instead!

P

Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:47 pm
earlswood

Glad to know we are not alone!!

Everyones story is so similar, we have had this week off to decorate and have decided if we're not called for medicals by January we will just go ahead regardless.
Billabong had his skills assessment okayed in July and it only lasts a year so shouldn't have anything to lose

We were hoping to put the house up for sale Feb/March after reading all of the buyer horror stories lately:scared:

It's been a God send having expats and without all of the friends that we have made and meetings we have been to I can't imagine how we would cope through "the wait"!!

I wish all who are about to leave on their adventure good luck, and this time next year we will all be posting our good news and experiences to the newbies!!

Earlswood

Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:47 pm
earlswood

Glad to know we are not alone!!

Everyones story is so similar, we have had this week off to decorate and have decided if we're not called for medicals by January we will just go ahead regardless.
Billabong had his skills assessment okayed in July and it only lasts a year so shouldn't have anything to lose

We were hoping to put the house up for sale Feb/March after reading all of the buyer horror stories lately:scared:

It's been a God send having expats and without all of the friends that we have made and meetings we have been to I can't imagine how we would cope through "the wait"!!

I wish all who are about to leave on their adventure good luck, and this time next year we will all be posting our good news and experiences to the newbies!!

Earlswood

Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

cuthere is an unknown quantity at this point

ditto to all of the above!!

My timeline has been good but since since sending off my medicals and PCC, the past 2 weeks have been agonising. We were hoping to get something soon so that we can get on with our lives. It is during times like this that you wish you can see the future. It's the agony of it all, could it be today, tomorrow or next year, urrghh.....Well at least in this forum, everybody understands the agony...

Somedays, I tell myself to enjoy my current life as is, just in case I miss it when I get there.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Very worried afterreading this...application for visa went in after our skills assessment came back ok at end of july this year...does the skills assessment last indefinitely????? anyone had medicals requested yet who applied when we did??????????????
thanks
s and r and c.