Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Doing the sums, what would you do?

Wikiposts

Doing the sums, what would you do?

Old Mar 21st 2004, 4:32 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doing the sums, what would you do?

When we arrive in Adelaide late August early September we will have approx $800K.

It sounds a reasonable amount but with 4 Kids hitting teenage years, and professional sp;enders already it probably isnt.

We have always figured that we would buy straight away, so that we would be morgage free. What was left would go on a boat with a few dollars put away for a rainy day.We would then only have to worry about food on the table bills etc...

We are now starting to wonder if it would not be better to put the money in a high interest account, as the interest earned on that money along with my work as an electrican, would give me a better income.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 4:45 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doing the sums, what would you do?

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
When we arrive in Adelaide late August early September we will have approx $800K.

It sounds a reasonable amount but with 4 Kids hitting teenage years, and professional sp;enders already it probably isnt.

We have always figured that we would buy straight away, so that we would be morgage free. What was left would go on a boat with a few dollars put away for a rainy day.We would then only have to worry about food on the table bills etc...

We are now starting to wonder if it would not be better to put the money in a high interest account, as the interest earned on that money along with my work as an electrican, would give me a better income.

Cheers.
flippin eck ab you could always give some to me
Old Mar 21st 2004, 4:48 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by wengerboy
flippin eck ab you could always give some to me

Wengerboy
Youll be getting yours on Wednesday night remember.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 4:50 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Wengerboy
Youll be getting yours on Wednesday night remember.
i see all those noughts have gone to your head ab
Old Mar 21st 2004, 5:04 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by wengerboy
i see all those noughts have gone to your head ab

Old Mar 21st 2004, 5:42 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Cheers.
well i wish i had that problem...... i don't even have the option to get a mortgage, it's rent or nothing for me. i wouldn't worry you've got the options,... $800K of them. rent first and see how it goes.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 5:47 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by scutterUK
well i wish i had that problem...... i don't even have the option to get a mortgage, it's rent or nothing for me. i wouldn't worry you've got the options,... $800K of them. rent first and see how it goes.

No expert here on this, but property of there is fast rising.... I'd either get in quick or not at all in case they have the crash we had over here.

Do some research on the bbc website, there was a link on this forum a couple of weeks ago about an article on the aussie housing market that might be useful.

Also, dont know what sort of boat you're after, but my boyfriend went halves with dad on a fair sized one (sleeps 4) a few months ago and that was 30kAUD.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:30 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.

Is the interest generated enough to pay the mortgage ?????????

IMHO - If yes then 6 and two 3's. If no, go with the original plan
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi AB,

Also a sparky, but of to Brisbane.

The interest you get on any account will be subject to tax, this will have a big impact on what you will recieve, if you then use this money to live off the, amount will be less each year with the effect of inflation, and your 800k will soon be worth less. Houses have gone up along way in oz and some say they still have further to go, but no one knows for sure in the near future, but in the long term I am sure they will out perform any bank account interest. To be mortgage free with a house and boat sounds better to me than some cash in the bank.

Terry
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers.
There are other methods of generating an income. A high interest account would earn you $40,000 gross . I would guess half that money would get you a decent house in Adelaide and the rest could be invested. You will then avoid paying rent and having to pay the tax on the interest earned on savings. I would work out the rent you would have to pay on the property you would be living in.

Have you worked out your retirement plans? If you have no pension fund I would work out how much money you are going to put aside for your future.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:47 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by Terry
Hi AB,

Also a sparky, but of to Brisbane.

The interest you get on any account will be subject to tax, this will have a big impact on what you will recieve, if you then use this money to live off the, amount will be less each year with the effect of inflation, and your 800k will soon be worth less. Houses have gone up along way in oz and some say they still have further to go, but no one knows for sure in the near future, but in the long term I am sure they will out perform any bank account interest. To be mortgage free with a house and boat sounds better to me than some cash in the bank.

Terry

Thanks Terry
I understand where you were coming from in stating the money will be worth a lot less in 10 years. I think BP has struck on something that I need to look at.
Where abouts in essex are you?

Cheers
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi AB,

We are from brentwood.
As mentioned a few times before on here http://www.somersoft.com/forums/ gives others views on the property market in oz there are some good but frightening ways to reach your retirement goals.

Terry
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:55 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by bondipom
There are other methods of generating an income. A high interest account would earn you $40,000 gross . I would guess half that money would get you a decent house in Adelaide and the rest could be invested. You will then avoid paying rent and having to pay the tax on the interest earned on savings. I would work out the rent you would have to pay on the property you would be living in.

Have you worked out your retirement plans? If you have no pension fund I would work out how much money you are going to put aside for your future.

BP
I like your idea although how would the investment interest not be taxed if it was invested at source into bricks and mortar?
How does that work then?
I have been looking at realestate.com and you are right the interest accumulated would pay for a nice house under mortgage payments.
Although of course the initial money would not be worth as much in 10 years the house investment should have increased in value.

Im not to worried about pensions they are covered, I would however like to give the kids a good start in life when I can finally get rid of them.

Cheers.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:58 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by Terry
Hi AB,

We are from brentwood.
As mentioned a few times before on here http://www.somersoft.com/forums/ gives others views on the property market in oz there are some good but frightening ways to reach your retirement goals.

Terry

Terry
Great info thanks

Cheers
Old Mar 21st 2004, 10:09 am
ABCDiamond

Im not to worried about pensions they are covered, I would however like to give the kids a good start in life when I can finally get rid of them.

Cheers.
Remember, the Bank interest will be taxed at your highest rate

How about this thought....

Buy two houses, live in one and rent one out for an income, then use that income to pay a mortgage on a third house, etc

Then later down the track you can give the extra houses to the Kids

Consider houses price movements, and try to get it right. There is great uncertainty as to whether prices will drop, stay level or increase slightly. And different areas will also perform differently.

You will gain a lot from Somersoft Property Investment Forum well worth looking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.