Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Doing interesting stuff - meeting new mates

Doing interesting stuff - meeting new mates

Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:29 pm
Badge

Default Doing interesting stuff - meeting new mates

Anyone thinking about volunteering to do anything - PR willing -??

I am thinking about the Aussie Army Reserve in order to learn a new trade - free - but I'm getting too old to get called up and my missus would have a heart attack in the event I did..
also I think you need citizenship - the regulars you only need PR!!

I was also considering rocking up at my local rural fire service mob.

Going to the local Rugby League club is another thing I will do and try to nab myself a wing berth.

Anyone else got any more ideas where us blokes can meet new mates?

It's ok for you sheilas - you've got the tupperwear parties to look forward to.

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Oct 31st 2003 at 1:12 pm.

Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:39 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Doing interesting stuff - meeting new mates

Originally posted by badgersmount
Anyone thinking about volunteerring to do anything - PR willing -??

I am thinking about the Aussie Army Reserve in order to learn a new trade - free- but I'm getting too old to get called up and my missus would have a heart attack in the event I did..
also I think you need citizenship - the regulars you only need PR!!

I was also considering rocking up at my local rural fire service mob.

Going to the local Rugby League club is another thing thing I will do and try to nab myself a wing berth.

Anyone else got any more ideas where us blokes can meet new mates?

It's ok for you sheilas - you've got the tupperwear parties to look forward to.

badge

Fishing Get urself a rod and reel and you would be surprised how many people you get chatting to.

The other place i have made a fair few friends is rock climbing, both in the climbing gym and out at the crag.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget us Sheilas will also meet like minded individuals over the cleaning products in Woolworths :scared:

My other half has signed up to play football (soccer) for a local team. He's hopefully going to be coaching the nippers too.

We're also signed up on the list at our local tennis court so when someone of your ability (him great, me dreadful) fancies a game they give you a ring.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:38 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rachels
Don't forget us Sheilas will also meet like minded individuals over the cleaning products in Woolworths :scared:

My other half has signed up to play football (soccer) for a local team. He's hopefully going to be coaching the nippers too.

We're also signed up on the list at our local tennis court so when someone of your ability (him great, me dreadful) fancies a game they give you a ring.
I've met some nice people windsurfing on the Swan river.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Cycling. Melbourne has a HUGE cycling scene. I've met loads of people through cycling. 90% of my husband's friends are cycling/racing buddies. He does a lot of the organised bunch rides so spends most of his riding time meeting new people and just chatting. It then leads onto to social meet ups.

If you don't cycle already then start off casually - Beach Road between St Kilda & Black Rock or Mordialloc is always full of cyclists on a weekend morning - and it's totally flat!!. Cyclists outnumber cars at this time. More serious cyclists will go further afield (e.g Frankston and beyond) but you will always meet riders of all abilities on Beach Road. I'll be cycling along and complete strangers will cycle alongside and we just get chatting. This is how I then got to know about organised rides just for the girlies, etc.

You will see cyclists of every age - from 10 to over 70.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 5:56 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I have met some characters in the line up waiting for a wave. I have not gone all out trying to make new friends but the ones that I have made are fair dinkum. It is something that will happen with time.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:00 am
WBB

the usual stuff really i would probably look into playing football, i am shipping my bike so cycling would come in to it and some sort of volunteer work early on if i could not get a real job.

Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:46 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

if i am back near the water will start back at a local surf club.Beach patrol every 4th week, training tuesday and thursday evenings.great way to keep fit and fill in some time.have all the first aid certs and badges so just a case of getting a tan before appearing in public
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:49 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Default Re: Doing interesting stuff - meeting new mates

Originally posted by badgersmount
Anyone thinking about volunteerring to do anything - PR willing -??
I joined the <A HREF="http://www.hartill.net/CFS/">CFS</A>.

Still waiting for my first callout. The pager went off on Saturday for a house fire but I was an hour away; turned out to be a false alarm anyway
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:02 am
earlswood

Apparently, my hubby is going to grow a beard and masquerade around Brisbane as Rex Hunt to try and get into the fish circles there!!
:scared:

Old Oct 31st 2003, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Recently started the AFF parachuting course, and am now totally hooked. Loads of interesting guys & girls at the drop zone (most of them slightly crazy lol). Recommend it to anyone...great fun!

Russ (in the middle, 12000ft above Lake Taupo NZ)
Attached Thumbnails Doing interesting stuff - meeting new mates-russ.jpg  
Old Oct 31st 2003, 11:04 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

BritboyNZ,
I draw the line at jumping out of a perfectly good plane, especially when it's flying

I think I'll stick to scuba diving, at least I float

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 5:37 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

I see the Mardi gras doesn't start early enough for some.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby is into Clay pidgeon shooting,fishing and motorbikes mainly and is going to continue this in Aus.

We also like to do loads of stuff together such as Tennis and I would like to play doubles with another couple (you gotta be a bit crap at it, like ourselves)

Im gonna start my roller blading again.

booboo
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 5:59 pm
WBB

Originally posted by DavidT
I see the Mardi gras doesn't start early enough for some.
:scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.