Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dogs - what stage do you starting sorting?

Dogs - what stage do you starting sorting?

Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:34 pm
Taking first steps...

Meryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant future
Question Dogs - what stage do you start sorting?

Thought I would post a thread about this as have seen it crop up a couple of times but i still don't really know the answer. Can anyone recommend at what stage of the visa application you start the dog process? We're only at the skills assessment at the moment so maybe too early? Hoping to go early 2008.

Also, can anyone give a good overview of the whole pet emigrating thing from start to finish inc the vet tests, blood tests etc. I am pretty clueless about the whole thing but know that we will not be going without them!!

Last edited by Meryn & Steve; Apr 19th 2006 at 7:46 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:48 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs - what stage do you starting sorting?

I take it you figured out the editing!

Tried getting you a link to the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) but computer playing up. Try searching for importing cats and dogs....That should get you started...

Cheers

Ginny
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:51 pm
Taking first steps...

Meryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Dogs - what stage do you starting sorting?

Still fairly new to this forum. Have only just discovered what the stars and boxes mean. Cannot change the title to the thread once its posted. Don't want people to think cannot speak properly!!!

Its just I've heard people on this forum saying the "blood test results were a bit dicey" etc. Was just wondering exactly what tests they have to have. I have two spaniels aged six and although I think they are in good health you never know do you?
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:59 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meryn & Steve
Still fairly new to this forum. Have only just discovered what the stars and boxes mean. Cannot change the title to the thread once its posted. Don't want people to think cannot speak properly!!!

Its just I've heard people on this forum saying the "blood test results were a bit dicey" etc. Was just wondering exactly what tests they have to have. I have two spaniels aged six and although I think they are in good health you never know do you?

They need up to date vaccinations...ie no less than 14 days or no more than 1 year of travel. If having vaccinations withing 6 months of travelling DO NOT GET THE LEPTO PART OF THEM!!!!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!

Couple of posts here that might explain the problems you can tun into;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358473

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364097

Although I think you metion 2008 so plenty of time. Depends on where you're going....Perth Quarantine stations has limited spaces but Sydneys a bit bigger.

We're using a Scottish Pet Exporters (saves on the paper work) costing us around £2500 inc quarantine fees etc. For two you're not much more...At the top of the page there's a search button press that and search in Australia for pet export....Will find lots.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light

Thought I would post a thread about this as have seen it crop up a couple of times but i still don't really know the answer. Can anyone recommend at what stage of the visa application you start the dog process? We're only at the skills assessment at the moment so maybe too early? Hoping to go early 2008.

Also, can anyone give a good overview of the whole pet emigrating thing from start to finish inc the vet tests, blood tests etc. I am pretty clueless about the whole thing but know that we will not be going without them!!
We have just sent the medicals so are at the last hurdle. We have just started looking at things like shipping our boxer and have discovered that the quarantine kennels in Melbourne are fully booked for the whole of June, so if we do get the visa soon we might have to leave her with my daughter who's not coming with us, and she will send her when a space is available. Not an ideal scenario as she will be stressed enough with me leaving her before all the upheaval of the flight etc. Also you can't book a place in quarantine until you have a pet import permit which takes about 3 weeks to get, and is valid for 6 months. We are using Golden Arrow who are doing everything for us. They come highly recommended on here.
As for vaccinations they have to be up to date but whatever you do, DO NOT let you vet give the Lepto Vaccine less than 6 months before you go as this will cause huge problems if your dog tests positive. My vet was great and knew all about it.
Blood tests are done within 30 days of shipping.
I wish we had started looking at this a couple of months ago, but not much I can do about it now.
Good luck
Sue
Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:12 pm
Taking first steps...

Thanks. I had never even heard of that Lepto thing but have checked the other threads out so I will be aware when they go for their boosters!
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 3:48 am
Just Joined

deet74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dogs - what stage do you start sorting?

My husband I just moved to Perth from Scotland. I think you have plenty of time if you aren't coming till 2008 but anyway - we brought our cat and thought we could do things cheaper by ourselves but you do have to employ a middle man cos of all the import and export visas. Contact Airpets in the UK and they'll keep you right about everything. I know they are a lot stricter with dogs but our biggest problem was we left it quite late and quarantine in Perth was full so we had to put her in the cattery for a while...so my advice is get in there now so your dog isn't away from you any longer than it needs to be as the quarantine for dogs is longer than cats. You can find airpets on internet but theyr'e based near heathrow I think.

p.s. it ain't cheap, we could've gone 1st class if it wasn't for our little fluffy darling.
good luck
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Stitch
Couple of posts here that might explain the problems you can tun into;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358473

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364097
Tell me about it!

Yeah just make sure with the vaccines you get ONLY what you need. There's 4 I think you will need, but in the UK they have a booster that has all 4, plus the dreaded Lepto. I think it costs more to have them individually, but you'll be happy to pay it over having the 'all in one' booster and the probs that'll create!

We've had our dog in Oz for less than a week now, but sooooo glad we took him.

He'd lost weight, but he did when he spent 3 weeks in kennels so wasn't worried about that, and expected it. He's the same old dog, altho he pants a bit more than when in the UK but to be expected!

Best of luck with it all! ...
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks. I had never even heard of that Lepto thing but have checked the other threads out so I will be aware when they go for their boosters!
An update on the lepto thing. We sent Rosies vaccination card to Golden Arrow for them to apply for the import license and they sent it back saying that not only had our vet left off the lepto, he also left off the parvo cos it was in the same jab as the lepto. So had another trip to vets for the parvo and got kennel cough as well as they recommended it.
So make sure you get EVERYTHING except the lepto pf course!
Old Apr 24th 2006, 12:57 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

I started sorting the dog out about 4 months prior to flying. I gave ample time for all his jabs as he ended up having the whole course again, then he had the kennel cough and had a reaction to it, so never again with that one.
Jenny
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

If your coming to Perth just be aware that Byford quarrantine gets booked up real quick, a friend of mine had to send there dog and cat to Sydney for their quarantine and then fly them across to Perth. So maybe worth checking out availabilty of space long time prior to flying out here.

Another tip i always say is if the dog is not use to going to kennels before hand, put them in one for few days atleast then they no you will be back for them and you wont feel that your abandoning them like i did.

Goodluck
Claire
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:02 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Madhouse!
Another tip i always say is if the dog is not use to going to kennels before hand, put them in one for few days atleast then they no you will be back for them and you wont feel that your abandoning them like i did.

Goodluck
Claire
Yeah we did this. When we did the reccy trip last July we 'coulda' let my mum look after the dog, but we went for kennels as we'd get an idea of how he copes. Incidently he was fine, altho lost a little weight so this time we fattened him up a bit ... ... altho seriously he did lose 2.5kg in there both times! Kennels was for 3 weeks, and the 30 days in Quarantine.

Oh and worth mentioning we thought the Sydney quarantine was excellent from the little we had to do with them. First time we spoke we was given the mobile number of the girl who was in charge with our dog. We was in touch with her while he was 'doin time' ...lol, but she was excellent and would assure us he was doin fine ...
Old Apr 25th 2006, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

i managed to sort out my dogs in the space of about 4 weeks.... and that was over xmas!

had already got quotes, and the dogs had had their jabs done in the may, so when it was finally all sorted just called up the best quote and got the ball rolling. my vet saw me the same day for tests etc, and we managed to get it all sorted before the dogs flew... and that was even with 1 of the dogs needing a re-test!

wanted the dogs to go to melbourne where my family were, but they ended up in sydney. which was actually just as well as we decided that we were driving down to collect them and couldn't have done that if they'd been in melbourne as i'd already started college.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Jeda will become famous soon enoughJeda will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dogs - what stage do you start sorting?

As everyone has said, you have loads of time to sort this out. Use the time to familiarise yourself with the procedure as you will then be a lot less stressed when it comes to your dog getting on the plane. Take some time to choose a reputable company who will do all the leg work for you - you can also chat to your vet and see if they know someone. Your vet will also be able to put you in the picture re the timescale for the injections etc. It costs a couple of thousand pounds but well worth every penny. We took our cat from Bath to Perth - it all went very smoothly except for me getting quite upset at the thought of our little cat flying on a 747 all the way to Oz and getting there before we did! Don't underestimate the emotional drain this can put on the whole family - seeing your precious pet being taken away by a stranger to kennels and then to the airport is quite a surreal experience - the next time you see them, you would have left your old life behind! Some advice that you might like to consider is that put your dog in kennels a week or so before you leave your house for good and then they go straight to the airport - the reason we did this was that it saves your pet picking up on the emotions you and your family will be going through - believe me the last few days can be pretty emotional - saying good bye to family and friends, tying up stuff with estate agents, removal people in and out. Just a thought as I dont know what your circumstances will be. Byford Quarantine Station in Perth is very good and they look after your pet very well. Good luck with the move, you'll love Perth and the lifestyle - very relaxed!