British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   dogs - UK to Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/dogs-uk-australia-660034/)

brushmate Mar 18th 2010 1:08 pm

dogs - UK to Australia

Hi does anybody no about bringing dogs in from the uk to australia,do all dogs have to stay in quarantine for 30 days;)

Pollyana Mar 18th 2010 1:46 pm

Re: dogs - UK to Australia

Originally Posted by brushmate (Post 8429582)
Hi does anybody no about bringing dogs in from the uk to australia,do all dogs have to stay in quarantine for 30 days;)

I've moved your post to a new thread so you are more likely to get answers :)

Bermudashorts Mar 18th 2010 4:20 pm

Yes they do.

ronnie98 Mar 19th 2010 7:10 am

Ours spent 30 days in melbourne, we visited 3 times a week

Wendy66 Mar 19th 2010 8:51 am

Yes 30 days quarantine from UK they'll need to be vaccinated but do ensure that you get your vet to NOT give the LEPTO part of the jab. As it needs time to get out the system.

You'll need an import permit and the dogs will need to have 4 blood tests done for various diseases, best thing to do is have a chat with a few dog shipping companies, I did this and went with the one I felt most happy with (Overhills) they all have websites as well. There are things that have to be organised so have a chat with them and they will explain timescales etc.

I brought 4 dogs with me :) and will def use same shipper again when we import a puppy in next couple of years, we're up to 5 dogs now as have a 17 week old 'Aussie' puppy as well :)

brushmate Mar 19th 2010 11:39 am

Hi thanks for the info,when you say overhills was that the name of the pet shipper you used? can you remember how much it was :eek:

KarenBK Mar 22nd 2010 4:34 am

Hi,

This link to the Aussie government site is brilliant for detailing the process of bringing your pet into Australia. Well worth a read:-

http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets...on-package.pdf

If you need contact details for pet transport companies, here are some good names:-

http://www.dogwalks.com.au/index.php...d=34&Itemid=38

Very best wishes with your move,

Karen

shiels Mar 22nd 2010 12:09 pm

We used Golden Arrow for our dog and cat, brilliant service.

Bermudashorts Mar 22nd 2010 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by shiels (Post 8438603)
We used Golden Arrow for our dog and cat, brilliant service.

I have just had quite an expensive quote from Airpets and was racking my brains trying to remember the name of a company that I had seen good reports of in the past. You have just reminded me, it was Golden Arrow. :thumbup:

miss_morph Mar 22nd 2010 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8438606)
I have just had quite an expensive quote from Airpets and was racking my brains trying to remember the name of a company that I had seen good reports of in the past. You have just reminded me, it was Golden Arrow. :thumbup:

Hi, i was also recommended 'petair' by someone on BE and they came in £1000 cheaper than 'airpets'
Sarah

Bermudashorts Mar 22nd 2010 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by miss_morph (Post 8439185)
Hi, i was also recommended 'petair' by someone on BE and they came in £1000 cheaper than 'airpets'
Sarah

Thank you Sarah, I will look those up too.

gill.p Mar 31st 2010 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8439189)
Thank you Sarah, I will look those up too.

I definately want to take my dog Zak to Perth from the UK, he is nearly nine though and I'm worried about the journey and how he will be it must be quite traumatic for them. I know it will be worth it when he gets there though. Has anyone got some advice? Gill P

Bermudashorts Apr 1st 2010 7:14 am

Originally Posted by gill.p (Post 8463965)
I definately want to take my dog Zak to Perth from the UK, he is nearly nine though and I'm worried about the journey and how he will be it must be quite traumatic for them. I know it will be worth it when he gets there though. Has anyone got some advice? Gill P

Not really got any advice, I took two cats to Bermuda and back although it is a much, much shorter journey. But they are fine and back to normal more or less immediately. Lots of people have moved their pets to Australia, I have not so far heard of a sorry ending to it. I share the view of many that being separated from an owner and put up for re-homing is far more traumatic than any flight.

Good luck.

maund family Apr 1st 2010 12:39 pm

Hi,
Give Par Air a call as well, we used them to bring our dog over, and they were fantastic. They are a family business and were very helpful and took all our worries away by handling the injections, blood tests and transfer flights this end.

maund family Apr 1st 2010 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by gill.p (Post 8463965)

Our dog was 7 when we brought him over, yes he did lose a bit of weight, but he soon bounced back. Also while they are in quarantine we paid for a company to call in and see him daily, they had instructions of his favourite treats (in our dog's case cheese) and they had permission to excercise him for us. Didn't cost a lot either. They also sent us weekly email pictures so we could see him during his stay.