Dogs and Snakes

Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs and Snakes

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Cool! How did it taste?

S
Not like Chicken

I can confirm Goanna tastes like chicken, and I should expect a knock on the door from the lefty PC brigade and a fine. That said Goanna's are not protected for indigenous people. Another lefty PC load of rubbish.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:42 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Not like Chicken

I can confirm Goanna tastes like chicken, and I should expect a knock on the door from the lefty PC brigade and a fine. That said Goanna's are not protected for indigenous people. Another lefty PC load of rubbish.

Nor Dugongs apparently.

Never eaten Goanna either. I should get out and try some of these more obscure meats.

I tried alligator, which was quite meh - never crocodile, though in theory you shouldn't really be eating apex predators because of the inherent build up of bacteria, metals and carbon 14 as it progresses through the food chain.

Boar is nice though.

I also like rabbit, but the Lefty/PC/Safety brigade has ruined rabbit as a meal in Australia - Commercially sold rabbit (as in from a butcher) must come from an approved and accredited breeder now, and is retailing at very near $40/kg.

Hare, on the other hand, and assuming you can find it, isn't covered, and is incredibly cheap - I've seen it as low as $6 a kg.

Still yet to find a decent supplier of pheasant...

S
Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

lefty PC brigade
You're getting to sound like a stuck record!
Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
You're getting to sound like a stuck record!
So are the LEFTY PC BRIGADE
Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nor Dugongs apparently.

Never eaten Goanna either. I should get out and try some of these more obscure meats.

I tried alligator, which was quite meh - never crocodile, though in theory you shouldn't really be eating apex predators because of the inherent build up of bacteria, metals and carbon 14 as it progresses through the food chain.

Boar is nice though.

I also like rabbit, but the Lefty/PC/Safety brigade has ruined rabbit as a meal in Australia - Commercially sold rabbit (as in from a butcher) must come from an approved and accredited breeder now, and is retailing at very near $40/kg.

Hare, on the other hand, and assuming you can find it, isn't covered, and is incredibly cheap - I've seen it as low as $6 a kg.

Still yet to find a decent supplier of pheasant...

S
I saw an interesting stat on rabbits. 24 were originally introduced to Australia and in 2 years there were 6 million ..... or something along those lines.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 4:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Bloody OS&H/HR people. Arse coverers extraordinaire. Our HR Manager, Peter, was known by the 400+ workforce as Panicky Pete
We get a lot around here - we are in an industrial estate next to a big area of scrub bush

The lads caught a Brown snake out the back the other day and kept it in a bin until the snake catcher arrived

It was extremely pissed off. I should have taken a video
Old Feb 17th 2016, 4:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Cool! How did it taste?

S
I'll hazard a guess that it tasted snakey.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 5:09 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Not like Chicken

L (DD then aged 6.5) came home from school in her first or second term here and announced that they had eaten wombat. I was shocked and asked her if she was sure as I thought wombats were protected. She was insistent. I really thought she had got confused with something else. So, I asked around at school and sure enough, she was right!! They had had a bush session with an indigenous guest, who had shown them some bush skills and bush cooking, which included eating wombat. Indigenous people are apparently allowed to kill and eat them, although I think she said this particular wombat was roadkill!
Old Feb 17th 2016, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rasen78
L (DD then aged 6.5) came home from school in her first or second term here and announced that they had eaten wombat. I was shocked and asked her if she was sure as I thought wombats were protected. She was insistent. I really thought she had got confused with something else. So, I asked around at school and sure enough, she was right!! They had had a bush session with an indigenous guest, who had shown them some bush skills and bush cooking, which included eating wombat. Indigenous people are apparently allowed to kill and eat them, although I think she said this particular wombat was roadkill!
The type of discrimination we've come to expect.

What did the wombat taste like?
Old Feb 17th 2016, 6:16 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

The type of discrimination we've come to expect.

What did the wombat taste like?
She didn't really say but said it was good. But that was when she like meat. This week, she's off it Next week she'll like it again
Old Feb 17th 2016, 11:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Cool! How did it taste?

S
It tasted like I'd imagine an old welly would, ick.

Beoz, just to give you the shites, my ex was Aboriginal so he was allowed to kill the snake
Old Feb 17th 2016, 11:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We get a lot around here - we are in an industrial estate next to a big area of scrub bush

The lads caught a Brown snake out the back the other day and kept it in a bin until the snake catcher arrived

It was extremely pissed off. I should have taken a video
You should have!

I probably shouldn't be so dismissive of safety reps, as I realize they do some good work. My feelings towards the industry are coloured by the previously mentioned Panicky Pete, he'd send reams and reams of documents every day, about how managers were responsible for this, and that, and every bloody thing under the sun. Used to do my head in.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 11:32 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'll hazard a guess that it tasted snakey.
Sort of, Dorothy, and also sort of booty
Old Feb 17th 2016, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodnessgraciousme
Thanks for the info. Thanks to St Patrick, we´ve no biters here but unfortunately we don´t have real summers either.
Could be worse and at least you have long summer evenings without having to worry about snake bites. In many places real summer is more like wish it was Spring again.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sort of, Dorothy, and also sort of booty
Who doesn't like a bit of booty? 😯