Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dogs in rented houses.

dogs in rented houses.

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

james the cat will become famous soon enoughjames the cat will become famous soon enough
Default dogs in rented houses.

Has anybody snuck their dog into rented accomodation without telling the landlord? What happens if you get caught? I think I will have trouble renting a property if I am honest about the fact that my dog will be joining us a couple of months later.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: dogs in rented houses.

Originally Posted by james the cat
Has anybody snuck their dog into rented accomodation without telling the landlord? What happens if you get caught? I think I will have trouble renting a property if I am honest about the fact that my dog will be joining us a couple of months later.
we found that aussies are pretty laid back, at the end of the day if the dog causes any damage then you pay for the damage! and all carpets must be cleaned before you leave anyway!
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:03 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

We're also going to have to find a rental that will accept pets, but personally, I'd rather be upfront about it with the landlord. Too much potential hassle with lying - especially if one of the neighbours 'dobs' on you or the landlord turns up unexpectedly (okay so you don't have to let them in but a bit difficult to explain why you have a dog running round!). If your lease doesn't permit the keeping of animals without the landlords permission, you're technically in breach of your agreement. If you get caught, it could lead to you being evicted from your rental.

There has been a couple of threads recently about renting and pets, and although people do seem to find it more difficult if they have pets, with less properties to chose from, everyone seems to find somewhere eventually.

Nicky
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:35 am
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

you'll also find that some renter do allow dogs anyway ...just look on there ads to see
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:43 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Some places insist on the whole house being sprayed by the local pest control guy if dogs and cats have been kept in the house. This is in addition to the mandatory cleaning of carpets.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

We have a dog in our rental and have had no problems. Whether the landlords will accept dogs or not is generally shown on the advert and at least 50% were OK with dogs when we were looking. We under estimated the size of our pooch slightly! Also mentioned in passing that he was an outside dog!! - yeah right. We have had no comments or problems at all - they are far more laid back than UK landlords on the dog subject. Basically you have to pay the have the carpets steam cleaned with or without a pet. If you have a pet you may be asked to pay for a carpet flea treatment (regardless of your pets treatments) but the cleaners can do it at the same time and it costs peanuts.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

james the cat will become famous soon enoughjames the cat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Amanda&Paul
We have a dog in our rental and have had no problems. Whether the landlords will accept dogs or not is generally shown on the advert and at least 50% were OK with dogs when we were looking. We under estimated the size of our pooch slightly! Also mentioned in passing that he was an outside dog!! - yeah right. We have had no comments or problems at all - they are far more laid back than UK landlords on the dog subject. Basically you have to pay the have the carpets steam cleaned with or without a pet. If you have a pet you may be asked to pay for a carpet flea treatment (regardless of your pets treatments) but the cleaners can do it at the same time and it costs peanuts.
Thanks, i suppose honesty is the best policy, i'm crap at lying anyway, and I could do without having it in my conscience.