Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dogs and quarrantine

dogs and quarrantine

Old Jul 29th 2004, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough
Question dogs and quarrantine

does anybody know if dogs have to go into quarrantine when you arrive in australlia from the uk?
Old Jul 29th 2004, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: dogs and quarrantine

Originally posted by jaxowen
does anybody know if dogs have to go into quarrantine when you arrive in australlia from the uk?

I know cats have to do, its either 30 days or 4 weeks....would have to check that out...

If you do a search, I am sure you would find the answer on here

Good luck

Hels
Old Jul 29th 2004, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Hels
I know cats have to do, its either 30 days or 4 weeks....would have to check that out...

If you do a search, I am sure you would find the answer on here

Good luck

Hels

thanks for that- i did a search and dogs do have to go into quarantine for thirty days!! i haven't ever left her for more than 3 hours, i am devastated!!
Old Jul 29th 2004, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

thanks for that- i did a search and dogs do have to go into quarantine for thirty days!! i haven't ever left her for more than 3 hours, i am devastated!!

We had a 6 month old kitten that we inherited after she was found in an abandoned car when she was only about 3 weeks.

My Hubby and I had a long heart to heart about whether taking her was something we wanted to put her through. We decided against it. She was still young enough that someone wanting a kitten but not wanting to litter train might want her and we surrendered her to the Mayhew Animal Home here in London and about 3 weeks later, we were told she had a loving new home.

We think it was the right thing for us. I can only imagine how hard it might be for you.

Good luck

Hels
Old Jul 29th 2004, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Teddybex is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I know exactly how you feel. I'm so worried about putting our dog into quarantine too. The longest we've been away from him is one night and I couldn't sleep for worrying! I can't bring myself to leave him behind though, he's our little boy! We're just going to visit him as often as they'll let us and hope he's ok, although he's not great with strangers and isn't keen on other dogs either!! :scared:
Old Jul 29th 2004, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Teddybex
Hi. I know exactly how you feel. I'm so worried about putting our dog into quarantine too. The longest we've been away from him is one night and I couldn't sleep for worrying! I can't bring myself to leave him behind though, he's our little boy! We're just going to visit him as often as they'll let us and hope he's ok, although he's not great with strangers and isn't keen on other dogs either!! :scared:

we've decided to send nancy out two weeks before we go and not visit her until we can pick her up. the quarantine people reckon visits make them more stressed!! We have only just started the visa process so we've got 12-18 months to prepare her.

heres hoping anyway!!
Old Jul 29th 2004, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

we've decided to send nancy out two weeks before we go and not visit her until we can pick her up. the quarantine people reckon visits make them more stressed!! We have only just started the visa process so we've got 12-18 months to prepare her.

heres hoping anyway!!

Thats a very good point, actually....about visiting them.

When we surrendered the kitten to the Mayhew. My hubby wanted to visit her when she was still in there. They said its not a good idea, because they get excited when they see you and think you are taking them home. When you leave again and again without them...they dont understand.

It does make sense when they explained it to us that way...
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:24 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

my worry also. my baby sleeps cuddled next to me every night. I ve never been apart from him. we rescued him when he was 8 weeks old and now hes 9! I'm getting so desperate, I've thought of phoning the quarantine station to see if I could stay there for30 days also!! I wonder if they need volunteers?
Old Jul 30th 2004, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Brizbound will become famous soon enoughBrizbound will become famous soon enough

heres hoping anyway!!
Our dog is currently in quarantine and if you are serious about preparing your pooch then I suggest that in the next year/18mths put her in boarding kennels a few times when you go away or something. It'll be very similar for her.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 7:00 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

The whole business really is too much aggravation. We left our 14 year old cocker spaniel with my sister...it would have been cruel to put her (the dog, that is) through it all to be honest.

However, it seems Mrs.Chippy could not survive without the company of a k9. I'm just not enough it seems. Here he is, a very handsome 14 week old Beagle.......
Attached Thumbnails dogs and quarrantine-pics-13-13-no.-006.jpg  
Old Jul 30th 2004, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

sharkin is an unknown quantity at this point

My first dog went through 6 months of quarantine coming back from Germany in the bad old UK quarantine days and he never batted an eyelid. We never visited him for the stress reason and he remembered us just fine.

One problem is that the dogs aren't generally excercised in quarantine therefore if you have a dog who is used to lots visiting them to excercise them yourself might be better for the dog. They might be upset for a little while bu they settle down quickly.... when I contacted Melbourne qurantine station they said that to visit is better for them.... it depends on who you speak to.... you know your dog better than anyone else and what their needs are.....
Old Jul 30th 2004, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by chippy
The whole business really is too much aggravation. We left our 14 year old cocker spaniel with my sister...it would have been cruel to put her (the dog, that is) through it all to be honest.

However, it seems Mrs.Chippy could not survive without the company of a k9. I'm just not enough it seems. Here he is, a very handsome 14 week old Beagle.......

he is really cute!! I'm not sure any of our family members would want ot take nancy on - she is an english bull terrier and most people think she has the kind of face only a mother could love. thats probably true because i think she's georgous!