Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dogs medication: can I send it with him on the plane?

Dogs medication: can I send it with him on the plane?

Old Jul 16th 2006, 10:18 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dogs medication: can I send it with him on the plane?

Hi
This may sound like a strange question, its just that my little CKC has a skin condition, which requires a special diet, and he has a spray mist to help his coat, (he also has a high allergic reaction to fleas too) so frontline has to be given monthly!!

I was wondering whether we would be allowed to send these items with the dog on the plane, so that the quarantine people can look after him, or should I just pop it in my suitcase (i understand that the food could be a problem to send, he can't have soya, which I'm told is in just about every dog food!)

Any advise?????????

thanks
Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Robbie Boy has a spectacular aura aboutRobbie Boy has a spectacular aura aboutRobbie Boy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Dogs medication: can I send it with him on the plane?

I have just asked the Company shipping our dog the same question this week.
They said that medication can be shipped with the dog providing you supply a covering letter from your vet for the Quarentine station.
Best of luck!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:04 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soonbethere
Hi
This may sound like a strange question, its just that my little CKC has a skin condition, which requires a special diet, and he has a spray mist to help his coat, (he also has a high allergic reaction to fleas too) so frontline has to be given monthly!!

I was wondering whether we would be allowed to send these items with the dog on the plane, so that the quarantine people can look after him, or should I just pop it in my suitcase (i understand that the food could be a problem to send, he can't have soya, which I'm told is in just about every dog food!)

Any advise?????????

thanks
Have you ever thought about changing him over to a raw diet? We changed our GSD over to raw when we got here and wouldn't go back to commercial c**p for anything.

It's just my opinion, but I'm afraid I think that once you go down the medication route, it becomes a vicious circle. Frontline is a very aggressive preparation and has been known to cause horrible skin problems itself. Putting your dog onto a species-appropriate diet might help....and it certainly can't harm. You then avoid the need to worry about soya.

Good luck.

Sue
Old Jul 16th 2006, 2:27 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

If you send the medication with him on the plane it may go "off". I remember that this happened to someone when they sent insulin with their diabetic cat.

I would contact the quarantine station and explain what kind of medication/treatments your dog needs and give them your credit card details. Then, they can buy anything that's necessary for your dog.

Gina
Old Jul 16th 2006, 2:31 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soonbethere
Hi

Any advise?????????

thanks
Bring the frontline in your case. He will be covered for the month he is in their with the dose he has before he goes. My cat has a flea allergy and she was absolutely fine in their, I just dosed her when she came out but I could have dosed her whilst in their if I had needed to.

Give the station he will be going to a ring and discuss your food worries with them. I think all of the stations use pedigree advance dog food and I am sure they do a soy free one. They would rather you phone and have a chat than worry unnecessarily
Old Jul 16th 2006, 5:56 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
Bring the frontline in your case. He will be covered for the month he is in their with the dose he has before he goes. My cat has a flea allergy and she was absolutely fine in their, I just dosed her when she came out but I could have dosed her whilst in their if I had needed to.

Give the station he will be going to a ring and discuss your food worries with them. I think all of the stations use pedigree advance dog food and I am sure they do a soy free one. They would rather you phone and have a chat than worry unnecessarily

Thats a great idea, thanks for the tip, I was thinking of putting the fronline and the spray in with our luggage, we arrive 2 days after he does, so we will be able to give them the spray, and the dog food that seems to match him well at the moment is called BETA and its made from Purina, which is probably available there?
Thanks to all - again!!