Reload this Page >

Dogs & The Heat!

Dogs & The Heat!

Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

sandersfamily is on a distinguished road
Default Dogs & The Heat!

Hi

We are still undecided where to live, torn between Perth & Adelaide at the moment . We plan to emigrate from October this year, one of the factors in our decision is our two loveable labradors dogs!

Our major concerns is how would the dogs cope with the extreme heat & change in climate? Hubby thinks Adelaide would be best for our dogs especially in the Adelaide Hills area. However we also have two young boys (4 & 2) to consider and I think Perth would offer more for them.

The dogs don't cope very well when we have hot days in the UK and have to take the dogs out for a walk early in the morning or late in the evening when its cooler.

I would love to hear from people's previous experiences to help us reach a decision.

Thanks

Louise
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs & The Heat!

Originally Posted by sandersfamily
Hi

We are still undecided where to live, torn between Perth & Adelaide at the moment . We plan to emigrate from October this year, one of the factors in our decision is our two loveable labradors dogs!

Our major concerns is how would the dogs cope with the extreme heat & change in climate? Hubby thinks Adelaide would be best for our dogs especially in the Adelaide Hills area. However we also have two young boys (4 & 2) to consider and I think Perth would offer more for them.

The dogs don't cope very well when we have hot days in the UK and have to take the dogs out for a walk early in the morning or late in the evening when its cooler.

I would love to hear from people's previous experiences to help us reach a decision.

Thanks

Louise

No experience of either Perth or Adelaide I'm afraid but my mother-in-law took her black lab over to Brisbane four years ago and she's (the dog) adapted to the climate really well. No problems at all. She still puts on a winter coat and moults in the summer, has a swim in the pool on the extra hot days. We were a little anxious about taking our own dog (whippet / staffy cross) after reading some of the post on here regarding snakes etc, but we're glad we did. She gets out Eastern Creeks Quarantine a week today and she'll be there to meet us when we arrrive a week later.

cheers

Andy
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

No worries in either. Adelaide can get very cold in winter and extremely hot in summer. Perth has hot dry summers and cool to warm winters. It always gets a cool easterly breeze off the desert in the morning that changes like clock work to a cool westerly sea breeze in the arvo.

On really hot days dogs just need shade and plenty of water. My ridgeback just looks for a cool tile or concrete floor and flops there. Find him in some funny places some days.

Haven't been to Adelaide yet but it's often described as a rather slow some say boring kinda place for 30 - 40 somethings. That probably makes it great for kids. I've been in Perth for over a month now and although it's a beautiful city compared to Sydney it's not exactly jumping either.

House price wise I'd probably go Adelaide. Perth's property market has topped out for the time being. I think Adelaide has a good chance of following Perth once some of the big mining projects get underway north of there.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Thanks

Louise

You adapt what you do here in the Summer so do the same in Oz, never ceases to amaze me the amount of people walking dogs in the full sun here in the UK. Walk early and late as you normally do, have shade in the garden and air con in the house and all will be well - Enjoy wherever you decide.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Dogs & The Heat!

Hi Louise,
We live in north WA in Karratha where it's VERY hot especially in the summer months..up to 43' in Feb! and I've heard that was a coolish summer by normal standards!! We brought our 5yr old German Pointer over and he has coped really well with the heat.It's cooling down now for winter..only 33 today..and he's just started lying in the sun like he did in the UK.
In the summer he just stayed in with us and lay under the airconditioning vents!
I think dogs just get used to the heat same as we do.
Good luck with your move
Denise
Old Apr 27th 2007, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bushy
It's cooling down now for winter..only 33 today..
Damned glad to hear that!!! Be up that ways in a few weeks
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about

should be even cooler by then How long you coming up here for?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Currently live in Adelaide but moving to Perth at the end of May. Don't worry about the dog. He/she will adapt to the climate. Think about other more important factors, like whether you can find work. Whether you can afford a house. Traffic, schooling, lifestyle, etc. As much as I liked Adelaide, there just was not the work there for my husband. I had no problems finding work, and just today turned down an offer of a long term contract, but for him nothing.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

should be even cooler by then How long you coming up here for?
Could be a few years. Not sure where I'll end up just yet. Have contacts for Karratha and Port Hedland
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Dogs & The Heat!

have you been here before? we like it here in Karratha but would like to live in Perth eventually.not been to Port Hedland...we were told not to bother unless it was for something specific as it's not really a place to go just for a day out!
also our neighbour said that you're in danger of hitting a kangaroo/goat/cow or emu!! on the way.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Thanks

Louise
No experience of either Perth or Adelaide I'm afraid, but we moved to QLD in March last year while it was still hot and our dog was fine. When we got her from Quarantine, we got her a really good haircut to help her to acclimatise and she's been fine. She loves a swim and has never had any problem with ticks or anything else - touch wood....
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

have you been here before? we like it here in Karratha but would like to live in Perth eventually.not been to Port Hedland...we were told not to bother unless it was for something specific as it's not really a place to go just for a day out!
also our neighbour said that you're in danger of hitting a kangaroo/goat/cow or emu!! on the way.
Stopped at Port H on the way across. Pretty industrial. Your typical iron ore mining town

Had a squiz at Karratha on the way past to Perth. I was going to stop for a better look but I'd been on the road from Sydney for about 11 days dodging storms by then. Just wanted to get to Perth and escape the heat and big wet

Collected 2 roo's n the way over and narrowly missed a cow - all at night. No damage luckily. Day times OK but twilight and night are definitely very risky
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nzer57
Stopped at Port H on the way across. Pretty industrial. Your typical iron ore mining town

Had a squiz at Karratha on the way past to Perth. I was going to stop for a better look but I'd been on the road from Sydney for about 11 days dodging storms by then. Just wanted to get to Perth and escape the heat and big wet

Collected 2 roo's n the way over and narrowly missed a cow - all at night. No damage luckily. Day times OK but twilight and night are definitely very risky
Yeah,we don't go far at night,just around the town area.Karratha's OK although we've only been here since january.The people here are really friendly especially all of the scottish folks!There's a fair bit to do especially if you're the outdoorsy type and if you like fishing and camping,neither of which we've done yet!! but we still like it.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Yeah,we don't go far at night,just around the town area.Karratha's OK although we've only been here since january.The people here are really friendly especially all of the scottish folks!There's a fair bit to do especially if you're the outdoorsy type and if you like fishing and camping,neither of which we've done yet!! but we still like it.

I'll be doing plenty of that. No accommodation anywhere to be had for a while yet. I'm self supporting but I'll be swagging for a while I'm guessing.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nzer57
I'll be doing plenty of that. No accommodation anywhere to be had for a while yet. I'm self supporting but I'll be swagging for a while I'm guessing.
Dogs are fine here in Perth. Always make sure there is a huge bowl of fresh cool water on hand, and if you leave them in the garden ensure you have some shady areas for protection.
My 2 boxers dig huge holes in the dirt so they can lie down where the earth is damp and cool.
You might also need to consider using sun protection around the tips of the ears as it is not unknown for dogs (and cats) to suffer from skin cancer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.