Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dogs have arrived

Dogs have arrived

Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

steve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the rough
Default Dogs have arrived

Hi all wth dogs

Well we finally picked up the girls yesterday. One was like she was when we left the other looked like something out of the Pet Rescue series. She was skinny, scared and not herself. She has however refused to eat before in kennels. Even her kennel had been scratched inside by her nails it was heart wrenching stuff.

Now one day on and she is getting back to her normal self we are slowly feeding her back to a decent weight.

It is really great to get them back but we do wonder how it has been for them ?

I would still recommend chilworth Kennels for their excelent service in getting the girls to Sydney and Transpet for the service from Sydney to Brisbane. It is just heart breaking when they get here.

Steve
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dogs have arrived

Originally Posted by steve & Heather
Hi all wth dogs

Well we finally picked up the girls yesterday. One was like she was when we left the other looked like something out of the Pet Rescue series. She was skinny, scared and not herself. She has however refused to eat before in kennels. Even her kennel had been scratched inside by her nails it was heart wrenching stuff.

Now one day on and she is getting back to her normal self we are slowly feeding her back to a decent weight.

I would still recommend chilworth Kennels for their excelent service in getting the girls to Sydney and Transpet for the service from Sydney to Brisbane. It is just heart breaking when they get here.

Steve
So very pleased they are both with you now and ok
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all wth dogs

Steve
Aw well at least you have them back. I'm sure they'll be fine now.
I took my dog (also GSD)to the kennels yesterday at Overhill, Bristol, who have been I might add extremely professional.
He flies tomorrow am to Sydney. The house seems empty.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Hi all wth dogs

Steve
Good to have them back tho huh? Mine lost a fair bit of weight too whilst in quarantine aswell as his bark but was back to good health by 2 weeks...that was almost 18 months ago and still dont have any regrets bringing him whatsoever, I think it's all worth the stress in the end for the dog and owners
Old Oct 16th 2006, 5:19 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madhouse!
Good to have them back tho huh? Mine lost a fair bit of weight too whilst in quarantine aswell as his bark but was back to good health by 2 weeks...that was almost 18 months ago and still dont have any regrets bringing him whatsoever, I think it's all worth the stress in the end for the dog and owners
That's reassuring to hear as we have a dog and a cat to bring and are still wondering whats the right thing to do......... C x
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

Hi
Our dog, Ally, a weimaraner is currently in Sydeny quarantine at Eastern Creek. We went to visit him last week, as we had been informed he appeared scared and jittery....well, we went, and at first he looked like a rabbit in headlights...his eyes were huge looking out of his kennel BUT soon as he realised it was us, and after the hour we spent with him, he was right back to normal. The reason we visited [cause some have been advised not to, as it upsets the animal] was because we felt that Ally might benefit from knowing we were still around after the flight and everything.
He has another 2ish weeks left, so I may go a couple of times and take him some toys/ chews. Apparently, he has taken to sucking and chewing his bed blanket....probably through lack of stimulation.

By the way, he looked in extremely good condition. My hubby said he had no regrets bringing him after the visit, cause the dog looked so well physically [and this was his worry].

So, although hard, I think the majority of animals cope just fine. It isn't the most pleasant experience for them, but it isn't detrimental long term either......just 4 weeks out of their lives. Just my opinion anyway
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

KatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
That's reassuring to hear as we have a dog and a cat to bring and are still wondering whats the right thing to do......... C x

We just could take our two cats last Thursday home up to Townsville from Melbourne, after 30 days quarantine. They coped well with the flights and the quarantine period, and we visited them twice a week. This was also mainly to reassure them that we are around and do come back.

They have not changed at all, and one is sitting on my lap as I type this, so they are still their affectionate selfs.

For us it was definítely the best option to take them with us.

Katie
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:57 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieLilly
We just could take our two cats last Thursday home up to Townsville from Melbourne, after 30 days quarantine. They coped well with the flights and the quarantine period, and we visited them twice a week. This was also mainly to reassure them that we are around and do come back.

They have not changed at all, and one is sitting on my lap as I type this, so they are still their affectionate selfs.

For us it was definítely the best option to take them with us.

Katie
Thanks for that too. It's now got to the point of the kids saying either the pets go or they dont...Now theres a thought!!!!!! LOL C x
Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mollymoo
Hi
Our dog, Ally, a weimaraner is currently in Sydeny quarantine at Eastern Creek. We went to visit him last week, as we had been informed he appeared scared and jittery....well, we went, and at first he looked like a rabbit in headlights...his eyes were huge looking out of his kennel BUT soon as he realised it was us, and after the hour we spent with him, he was right back to normal. The reason we visited [cause some have been advised not to, as it upsets the animal] was because we felt that Ally might benefit from knowing we were still around after the flight and everything.
He has another 2ish weeks left, so I may go a couple of times and take him some toys/ chews. Apparently, he has taken to sucking and chewing his bed blanket....probably through lack of stimulation.

By the way, he looked in extremely good condition. My hubby said he had no regrets bringing him after the visit, cause the dog looked so well physically [and this was his worry].

So, although hard, I think the majority of animals cope just fine. It isn't the most pleasant experience for them, but it isn't detrimental long term either......just 4 weeks out of their lives. Just my opinion anyway
Thanks for the reassurance. My GSD, Max, flies tonight out of Heathrow, arriving Sydney on Friday am and is also going to Eastern Creek. We wont be able to visit unfortunately as we are too far away.
Lou