Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog's bloods positives

Dog's bloods positives

Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:18 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog's bloods positives

Well, we now found ourselves in the company of some other folks on this forum with regard the flipping Lepto levels in the pooch's blood test. Got a call from AirPets to say that they'd come back positive. She needs to get re-tested on the 26th - as long as they're the same or lower then she can still fly. Given that she had the injection in November, it's pretty impressive that she's over the limit. Worse case scenario we're £1800 out of pocket and she gets to stay with the wife's best friend (who's a big time dog lover and knows Kali well) until she's legal. Hey ho.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:35 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog's bloods positives

Originally Posted by Hutch
Well, we now found ourselves in the company of some other folks on this forum with regard the flipping Lepto levels in the pooch's blood test. Got a call from AirPets to say that they'd come back positive. She needs to get re-tested on the 26th - as long as they're the same or lower then she can still fly. Given that she had the injection in November, it's pretty impressive that she's over the limit. Worse case scenario we're £1800 out of pocket and she gets to stay with the wife's best friend (who's a big time dog lover and knows Kali well) until she's legal. Hey ho.
Our Milly had her 2 year booster vaccs a few weeks ago...whilst the vet was trying to persuade her that this was a good thing he was going to do to her, we just started chit chatting and I mentioned about Milly travelling over to Oz and being in quarantine etc etc etc. Anyhow, his ears pricked up (the vets that is) and he mentioned about this Lepto thingy that would be in the booster...he got on to DEFRA and was told to omit it from the vaccs...even though we won't be moving to Oz until Jan 07....thank god I ramble on with useless crap when I get nervous otherwise Milly would be in the same position as your Kali.

I'm sure her levels will go down....keep positive!!!

D D xxx
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Hutch can i ask what is the normal time scale for the lepto leaving a dogs body? I know i have a while before i go to oz. But would it be worth me asking the vet not to give the lepto jab at least a year before we travel?
I am so confused about this vaccination lark
Mandy
Old Jun 16th 2006, 6:24 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Hutch can i ask what is the normal time scale for the lepto leaving a dogs body? I know i have a while before i go to oz. But would it be worth me asking the vet not to give the lepto jab at least a year before we travel?
I am so confused about this vaccination lark
Mandy
Yes. That is your best bet. My vet was telling me that he didn't even understand why it was included in the standard vaccination anyway, since the bug it was protecting against was about as much threat in the UK as candy-striped-tongue-and-blue-spotted-ears disease. Save yourself a lot of grief by telling 'em to omit it.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. That is your best bet. My vet was telling me that he didn't even understand why it was included in the standard vaccination anyway, since the bug it was protecting against was about as much threat in the UK as candy-striped-tongue-and-blue-spotted-ears disease. Save yourself a lot of grief by telling 'em to omit it.

Thanks mate, hope your dog gets the all clear and can join you in oz.
Mandy
Old Jun 16th 2006, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

we had both dogs done about 7 months before they flew out.... one came back as positive 1st time round but had gone down by second test!

was a worrying few days right enough!!!!

we were in a high lepto area (apparently) so decided to enclude them. Vet advised that had it been less than 6 months before we were going he would have left the lepto out.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light

My boxer had the same problem a few weeks ago. She hadn't had the lepto vaccine since Feb 2005 and still came back positive. As you say a worrying time, but the second test came back at the same level and she flew last Sunday to Melbourne. I believe they can pick up lepto from dirty ponds and puddles, so if yours likes paddling and swimming like ours, it may be a good idea to keep them away from these places for a while. Good luck with the next test, I'm sure it will be OK.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:39 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bookie
My boxer had the same problem a few weeks ago. She hadn't had the lepto vaccine since Feb 2005 and still came back positive. As you say a worrying time, but the second test came back at the same level and she flew last Sunday to Melbourne. I believe they can pick up lepto from dirty ponds and puddles, so if yours likes paddling and swimming like ours, it may be a good idea to keep them away from these places for a while. Good luck with the next test, I'm sure it will be OK.
oowwpphh, dont say that, our boxer loves dirty water/mud, sh'es like a hippo!! try and wash her though and shes off - vammoosshh!!

dreading this blood check, think they might have to put her out for it, shes too bouncy. also dreading the result

when is the next test hutch?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
oowwpphh, dont say that, our boxer loves dirty water/mud, sh'es like a hippo!! try and wash her though and shes off - vammoosshh!!

dreading this blood check, think they might have to put her out for it, shes too bouncy. also dreading the result

when is the next test hutch?
26th of June. Her flight's booked for the 6th of July.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:08 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

26th of June. Her flight's booked for the 6th of July.

fingers crossed for you then.
xx
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bugger Hutch

Don't know much about all this as I'm not a pet person myself. But I hope it gets sorted.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:47 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Know excatly what you're going through. Our dog's levels were positive 1:100 but negative 1:400 and needed retested. The pet exporter we used Pet Travel Services in Dunfermline were great. They say that vaccinated dogs usually come back positive first time but that the levels generally stay the same.....

Good luck and same journey....

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:55 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dog's bloods positives

Hope your dog's levels go down..
good luck with it all.