Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dogs in Australia

Dogs in Australia

Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:27 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dogs in Australia

Ok so your dog has been bundled in the crate and is halfway to Oz... what happens next

1. Lets say your moving to Brizzy, the dog will land in 1 of 2 centres in Sydney.
2. q/tine is 30 days and the care and conditions are excellent.
3. you can visit your dog or get a mate to, just forewarn the q/tine

4. inevitably the dog may need vet treatment, specially landing in summer. Common problems are hotspot, which is treatable. Ensure you are contactable, as they usually email or call ya to give you news.
5. transporting the dog from sydney to brizzy, use a dogtainer company, costs are cheap but they make you fit in with their plans.
6. you can insure dogs on house contents insurance.
7. register your dog with local council, bring MICROCHIP details with you from uk.
8. if you cannot keep your dog when he gets to brizzy book him into a petmotel. Costs from 12 bucks a day.

9. get your mut to a vets, here you just book into any vets any time, we are logged with 5 local vets
10. main thing in qld or australia as a whole is HEARTWORm, your dog must or at least SHOULD be fully protected from Heartworm, prices vary on weight, and length of heartworm cover, weekly 6 monthly or annual booster.
11. all other uk boosters are the same here.

12. make sure you NEVER tie your dog up, in the yard, and leave HUGE amounts of water for the bugger to drink.
13. do not let your dog stray, as a HUGE fine will wing its way to you.
14. do not let your dog stray onto someone elses land , bad move in some cases.
15. dont let your dog bark, aussies have no problems in reporting annoying animals.

16. watch out for ticks. Treatment and tick removers available from vets.
17. most suburbs have DRIVE THRU PET PRODUCE stores, pull up fill up and pay, just like macdonalds.

18. try and get your dog kennelled outside, and ensure he has a raised water feeder available at all times.
19. treat your dog to a trampoline / raised bed, brilliant idea, and cheap. Also cuts down on pesky greenants bitin his balls.

20. shorthaired dogs, can get skin cancer just like us, spot anythin unusual VETS IT IS !

I will try and think of some more tips

Steve
Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:40 pm
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs in Australia

great information!

we have a miniature schnauzer who will be coming with us, and i was wondering if the micro chip would be of any benefit out there.

thanks again.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:01 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinkerbell
great information!

we have a miniature schnauzer who will be coming with us, and i was wondering if the micro chip would be of any benefit out there.

thanks again.
Certainly will the microchip readers here are the same. Just bring the barcode slip too, should be on your dogs booster card.

Hope he has a safe trip when he comes

Oh and OZ are fanatical about DESEXING lol
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:02 pm
Banned

OH and heres something that will make you SMILE

We have 4 pups booked on INTERSTATE flights in next few days.

2 to Perth 1 to melby and 1 to adelaide.

ALL are being sent on EXCESS BAGGAGE CHARGES lmao

I LOVE OZ !!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:04 pm
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute

he is a she!!!

already done (de-sexed) that is.

am dreading loading her into a crate for 24 hrs.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:09 pm
Banned

he is a she!!!

They really do take good care of the dogs. and sorry to HER lol
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:17 pm
playing the angel

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
They really do take good care of the dogs. and sorry to HER lol
thanks for that, and I'm sure SHE forgives you!!!!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

19. treat your dog to a trampoline / raised bed, brilliant idea, and cheap. Also cuts down on pesky greenants bitin his balls.

He aint got none! ...

Altho cheers, good advice ...

K sent
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim2004
He aint got none! ...

Altho cheers, good advice ...

K sent
i wont tell the green ants then lol thanks

Oh and if you get bitten by a green ant it hurts.. new thread cumin
Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future

This is really helpful.

Cheers Jo
Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:21 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so your dog has been bundled in the crate and is halfway to Oz... what happens next

1. Lets say your moving to Brizzy, the dog will land in 1 of 2 centres in Sydney.

4. inevitably the dog may need vet treatment, specially landing in summer. Common problems are hotspot, which is treatable. Ensure you are contactable, as they usually email or call ya to give you news.
5. transporting the dog from sydney to brizzy, use a dogtainer company, costs are cheap but they make you fit in with their plans.
7. register your dog with local council, bring MICROCHIP details with you from uk.
8. if you cannot keep your dog when he gets to brizzy book him into a petmotel. Costs from 12 bucks a day.

9. get your mut to a vets, here you just book into any vets any time, we are logged with 5 local vets
10. main thing in qld or australia as a whole is HEARTWORm, your dog must or at least SHOULD be fully protected from Heartworm, prices vary on weight, and length of heartworm cover, weekly 6 monthly or annual booster.

12. make sure you NEVER tie your dog up, in the yard, and leave HUGE amounts of water for the bugger to drink.
15. dont let your dog bark, aussies have no problems in reporting annoying animals.

17. most suburbs have DRIVE THRU PET PRODUCE stores, pull up fill up and pay, just like macdonalds.

18. try and get your dog kennelled outside, and ensure he has a raised water feeder available at all times.

20. shorthaired dogs, can get skin cancer just like us, spot anythin unusual VETS IT IS !

Steve
You might want to bring proof that they have been desexed too, I never had proof apart from the missing parts and the council were very reluctant to let me register them as desexed without proof. I offered to bring the dog in to the council office and let them have a grope which did the trick. But I wish I'd kept the desexing vets bill as proof.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by arkon
You might want to bring proof that they have been desexed too, I never had proof apart from the missing parts and the council were very reluctant to let me register them as desexed without proof. I offered to bring the dog in to the council office and let them have a grope which did the trick. But I wish I'd kept the desexing vets bill as proof.
Excuse my igrorance here, but is there any benefit by having a 'desexed' dog, I mean with the council and stuff ?!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Steve

Great thread

We are just in the process of sorting our Lhasa Apso's flight out and we are already dreading him going although I know he will sleep all the way ( just like me).

On the subject of ticks both of my Sisters dogs have suffered with paralytic ticks, the live outside Melbourne and picked them up when camping in the Lakes Entrance area in Victoria. Their Vet said that she had never seen so many ticks as she has this year.

Keep up the good work.

John & Julie
Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:38 pm
playing the angel

he is a she!!!

the said SHE dog!!!
Attached Thumbnails Dogs in Australia-rscn0069.jpg  
Old Sep 7th 2005, 5:12 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
How much does it cost to register your dog in Brisbane area and do you have to renew each year? also is it cheaper if your dog has been desexed?

cheers

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.