Dogs

Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future
Default Dogs

I am taking my 2 jack russells dogs to Australia with me when we go in September, I think I am prepare, but does anyone have any advice?
Jo
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dogs

Isn't there anyone out there that can help out with this qestion??????????

We have a dog, but we didnt 'ship' him. We bought him when we got here. He loves the freedom of running around in our huge garden. We also take him to the local doggy beach, where he thinks he has died and gone to 'doggy heaven'!!!!
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:56 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Isn't there anyone out there that can help out with this qestion??????????
How about doing a quick search on pet carriers first, lots of personal feedback/experiences to be found there. I'm sure someone will give some thoughts at some stage or another today.

D D
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:57 am
Banned

Dirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jo_west
I am taking my 2 jack russells dogs to Australia with me when we go in September, I think I am prepare, but does anyone have any advice?
Jo
I'd be interested to hear too. I'm still undecided whether to ship my dog, does anyone have experiences of how they fare on the trip. Is it worth the trauma (for the dog I mean).

Dirk
Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:04 am
Phoenixuk2oz

We brought our Springer to Aus.

Shipped from UK to Sydney via Golden Arrow who were superb.

Pooch stayed in Sydney quarantine for a month then collected from Sydney and delivered direct to our door in Brisbane by a company called Dogtainers.

Dog was as happy as Larry.....no probs with either flights.....and she "sprung" into action as soon as she landed [she crapped on next doors lawn ]

Motto: Dont worry. If UK vet says dog is OK for the trip then they will be.

It's us that needs the tablets and councelling

Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Jo
Hi we shipped our jack russle over to Perth useing Golden Arrows, and yes couldnt fault them. The only advice i have is that if your dog is not use to going into kennels may be a thought to stick them in some just for couple of days just so that they no you will be back to pick them up...when i dropped ours off it felt like i was abandoning him.
As far as the trauma goes, our's lost a little bit of weight and his bark for a few weeks as i think he must of barked the whole 30days. Within a couple of weeks he was back to his old mischievious self
We could'nt bear the thought of leaving him behind we have no regrets bringing him over whatsoever.

Goodluck shipping yours over

Claire
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:00 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Jo
Hi Jo,

We're taking our 18mo German Shepherd (long haired! ) when we go next month. He - and our two cats - are going with Airpets - we have heard good things about them and their prices aren't that outrageous, comparatively speaking. I'm a bit nervous about their transit, but I'm sure they'll be fine. They're going into quarantine at Byford - which apparently is very busy at present and there's a waiting list! We'll be without our pets for two months as we first have a month in Sydney then a month in WA in serviced accommodation, so I shall be longing to have them back - if they remember us!!!

If you're concerned about them being nervous, get some homoeopathic remedies in. Our homoeopathic vet has recommended Gelsemium or Arg. Nit.
There may be something herbal that will reduce anxiety, but equally such a product might be banned. Valerian ought to be alright, I would think, but check first.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

swager is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
We brought our Springer to Aus.

Shipped from UK to Sydney via Golden Arrow who were superb.

Pooch stayed in Sydney quarantine for a month then collected from Sydney and delivered direct to our door in Brisbane by a company called Dogtainers.

Dog was as happy as Larry.....no probs with either flights.....and she "sprung" into action as soon as she landed [she crapped on next doors lawn ]

Motto: Dont worry. If UK vet says dog is OK for the trip then they will be.

It's us that needs the tablets and councelling
I think your right it will be me that will need the tablets and counselling. :scared:
My Westie will be doing that journey are the flights straight to Sydney or do they stop some mid way :scared:
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:59 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swager
I think your right it will be me that will need the tablets and counselling. :scared:
My Westie will be doing that journey are the flights straight to Sydney or do they stop some mid way :scared:
Which carrier will you be using? The Sydney flight usually stops over in Bangkok or Singapore, I think. They wouldn't ship them without a stopover for checking that they're okay and replenishing food and water.

Due to recent adverse publicity, I believe BA - and probably other carriers - have smartened up their act with respect to shipping pets and are probably now more aware of their welfare.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies, it is a relief to hear other good experiences , I never considered not taken them with me, they are part of the family, even though they are terrors :scared:.

Our dogs are going in quarantine in Sydney and we are moving to the gold coast, we are debating whether to drive down to Sydney(long, long way) and pick them up, or fly them to Brisbane, we are not sure, it would be good to hear others experiences and opinions.

thanks
Jo
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:06 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Ours went from Manchester to Singapore then Sing to Sydney. I figured if we could do it .....then so could the dog

Apparently dogs have no concept of time. She probably thought she was on a bus to the vets

Only kidding. Don't worry

My dog is soft as dog doo doos and there were no problems.

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

swager is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Which carrier will you be using? The Sydney flight usually stops over in Bangkok or Singapore, I think. They wouldn't ship them without a stopover for checking that they're okay and replenishing food and water.

Due to recent adverse publicity, I believe BA - and probably other carriers - have smartened up their act with respect to shipping pets and are probably now more aware of their welfare.
Not sure yet, just got quote for Par Air, they seem very good when i phoned them. As others say the dog will be fine it will be me that be going insane until i know she is in Sydney.
When we went to Brisbane on Holiday we drove down to Sydney and back in a week and really enjoyed it, but we did not have time to stop off at as many places as we would have liked to, so we promised ourself that if we ever got the chance to do it again we would. So we are hoping to send the dog before we go (about a week).Then drive down and pick her up and take our time in getting back to Brisbane.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Madhouse!
The only advice i have is that if your dog is not use to going into kennels may be a thought to stick them in some just for couple of days just so that they no you will be back to pick them up...when i dropped ours off it felt like i was abandoning him.
Yeah this is what we're doin. We HOPE to be heading out to Oz early January, if all goes well!?!?! ...... but we're having a few weeks out there v soon. I COULD ask my mum to look after him, but we think kennels will be a Good tester, + to let him know we WILL return!

We put him in kennels a couple of weeks ago just for the night, and he was fine! I must admit I wasn't happy the way he ran off with the owner of the place when we left, tale waggling away! ...lol.

on the flight tho, I've read that dogs pretty much fall asleep for most of the duration. Something to do with the humming of the plane and all that, but maybe sheer boredom ?!?

Either way, I haven't come across ONE thread saying their dog arrived a 'diff dog' so to put it! ...... well not on a permanent basis! lost their bark like another poster said, but nothing that didn't go away a few weeks later!
Old Jul 13th 2005, 5:45 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies, it is a relief to hear other good experiences , I never considered not taken them with me, they are part of the family, even though they are terrors :scared:.

Our dogs are going in quarantine in Sydney and we are moving to the gold coast, we are debating whether to drive down to Sydney(long, long way) and pick them up, or fly them to Brisbane, we are not sure, it would be good to hear others experiences and opinions.

thanks
Jo
Hi Jo - our dog Poppy who is a collie x will be flying around the same time as us (31st October) - we don't like the idea of putting her on another flight from Sydney to Brisbane either so were also considering making a mini holiday out of collecting her in Sydney - ie. us driving down (stopping on the way for a night or two and staying in city for at least a night before collecting her) then collecting Poppy and driving back to Brisbane again stopping at least for 1 night half way back to Brisbane - trouble is, where would let you stay with the dog for a night!!? We are planning on not starting jobs for a month anyway after arriving in Brisbane so this could work for us providing we have arranged somewhere to rent in the 1st 3 weeks of arrival!

I believe that to drive from Brisbane to Sydney would take approx 2 days of driving 9am-5pm - is that correct? Can anyone tell me how many hours it would take as I have never done it?

This thread has reasurred me a bit as poppy is a bit nervous at times and a bad traveller in the car!

Lynn
Old Jul 13th 2005, 5:49 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure yet, just got quote for Par Air, they seem very good when i phoned them. As others say the dog will be fine it will be me that be going insane until i know she is in Sydney.
When we went to Brisbane on Holiday we drove down to Sydney and back in a week and really enjoyed it, but we did not have time to stop off at as many places as we would have liked to, so we promised ourself that if we ever got the chance to do it again we would. So we are hoping to send the dog before we go (about a week).Then drive down and pick her up and take our time in getting back to Brisbane.
Can I ask you if you have found any dog friendly places to stay in between Brisbane and Sydney to break the journey up a bit? Ideally this is what I would like to do to - allowing a week to get there and back again - I know ideally you would need longer but we will be quite happy just to visit the Sydney opera house and the city for our 1st visit - and also to explore some of the coastal areas in NSW on route to Sydney.

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.