dogs

Old Mar 25th 2004, 4:34 pm
edmund

Cool dogs

we are moving to oz and are taking our border collie. Has anyone out there got any stories on taking their pets to oz [especially how they coped with the travel]:scared:

Old Mar 25th 2004, 8:41 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dogs

Originally posted by edmund
we are moving to oz and are taking our border collie. Has anyone out there got any stories on taking their pets to oz [especially how they coped with the travel]:scared:
Hi, try typing in 'dogs travel' in the search bar in top right corner of the main page of the forum.....

Our dogs(well, my parents) travelled from Oz back to Europe. Both in seperate crate. Were 9 years old at the time. It went fine. And we didn't see them till a week later (stopover) but family said that the crates they were in were clean!! I've heard different stories though, but dogs always end up being right in the end.

Look up post by Pollster. Her dog travelled to NZ recently, wasn't great just afterwards, but was back to it's old self in NO time!
Old Mar 26th 2004, 12:01 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

You called!?!

Hi edmund- yep- bought my dog out to NZ and she had a terrible journey-arrived dehydrated and covered in diarroheoa as was the crate.

BUT within a few hours of TLC, copious amounts of water and a bit of food (plus most of my McDonalds!) she was feeling and looking better. By the next morning you wouldn't have know she had had such a horrible trip.

She has been here about a week and a half now and is loving dozing in the sun, jumping in the river near our house and bombing about on the beach.

The only effect it has had on her is that she is a teeny bit more nervous than she was (although hubby disagrees with me here and says there is nothing wrong with her in the slightest) and very clingy to me - but then she always was a mummy's girl.

If you do bring your dog over, just be prepared for an upsetting sight when they come out of the crate- mind you as you are going to OZ you won't see him as he will have to go into quarantine.

My initial horror has changed into thank god we bought her because it would have broke my heart to leave her behind.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 3:16 am
Just Joined

coll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: dogs

Originally posted by edmund
Hi,
I emigrated to Brisbane (2002),dog went to sydney(airpets) then on to brisbane,no problems,dog was okay,but!! be warned in Qld and Northern N.S.W there are large problems with ticks,they can be deadly to dogs,cats etc.
also your dog should have heart worm treatment, if possible prior to it's departure.
check it out before you leave as I had no prior knowledge of the tick problem,there is no total defence against the problem,but frontline every fourteen days helps.