Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Doggy to Oz ????

Doggy to Oz ????

Old Nov 12th 2002, 1:27 pm
shellypuss

Default Doggy to Oz ????

Anyone,

I am going throught he dilemma of whether to take the dog or not.

Mostly I want to because I would be soooo sad to leave her here. She is a 16 month old labrador.

Things that are worrying me -

Firstly, she has only been away from me for 1 night and that freaked her out for about 3 days - I understand about the 30 days quarantine but we are planning to settle in Adelaide - would she have to spend the whole 30 days in Melbourne or could she be moved somewhere closer so that I could visit her regularly.

Secondly, she eats anything that moves, spiders, moths, ants and I dont want her to do the same in Oz for obvious reasons. Has anyone got any ideas on how to train her to ignore these critters quick.

Lastly, I have narrowed shippers down to most probably Ladyhaye or Pinehawk - anyone got any experience of these please.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Shelly

Old Nov 12th 2002, 4:36 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Hi,I posted a while back about this.Do a search for -taking the dog-2 grand or 8 pence.
some useful replies came back.Just for the record,looks like we're taking our mutt 'Buttsniffer' or I'll have to start kicking Baldbutts jnr,& Mrs BB gets the hump when I do that!

BB-animal lover through 'n through
Old Nov 12th 2002, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Dogs

I have two labradors which I intended taking with me but I now have doubts!.

We have relations on the border of Queenland and New South Wales. I spoke with them on Sunday and the have adviced me not to bring the because the will need to be securely penned in the garden, they said they will need to be muzzled outside and they can get a tick that could kill them!. If anyone else reads this can they confirm? Also it would cost a fortune to transport them (not that this worries me, but I now have to decide what is right for them, not what is right for me!).

So you see, we are also in this dilemma!
Old Nov 13th 2002, 3:48 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Dogs

Originally posted by scrawni
I have two labradors which I intended taking with me but I now have doubts!.

We have relations on the border of Queenland and New South Wales. I spoke with them on Sunday and the have adviced me not to bring the because the will need to be securely penned in the garden, they said they will need to be muzzled outside and they can get a tick that could kill them!. If anyone else reads this can they confirm? Also it would cost a fortune to transport them (not that this worries me, but I now have to decide what is right for them, not what is right for me!).

So you see, we are also in this dilemma!

I have two cats in QLD... used to live in NSW as well, and the tick's which you are talking about are quite dangerous... they paralyse your animal, and it collapses, and dies... BUT ... this can be avoided. (I know as my cat picked one up)... you check your animals for ticks regularly, they are easy to spot if you run your hand through it's fur.. (blue things), if you spot them on time.. no worries! You can either remove them yourself (but you need to make sure that all of it's legs/tentacles whatever you call it.. are removed) So it's best to take it to your local vet.. and he will do it for you.

My cat had one on it's neck, under it's collar... at the time of spotting it I did not know what it was.. but me being precautious took it to the vet (I thought it was a growth or something ) and he removed it for me, the cat was fine and suffered no effects from this tick.

There are some areas of Australia which are more Tick (or is that tic) prone... usually if there are wild animals about , such as possums and Bandicoots (Bandicoots are covered with them).. next to bush land.

Here in Queensland where I'm living... I've had no problems (been here for about 5 years). In NSW I lived there for around a year (Newcastle... near Sydney) and my cat picked one up there, and my neighbour who owned dogs.. used to get them on his animals... no probs so far here.

I don't know what you're on about with the Muzzle... there are no laws which you must muzzle your dog, unless it's dangerous or something, or maybe living next to a Koala sanctuary.. certain exemptions in the law..

Your dog must be contained in the garden, on your own property.. and not allowed to run the streets, or nip into anybody elses garden. He/she must be contained ... i.e. a fence or something around your garden, or if you've no fence around your property.. then a lead.

One of my cats, like your dog eats anything which moves spiders, crickets, anything!.. he even brought a small snake in once (Harmless snake), but he's still alive ... almost 10 yrs of age now.

Cane toads are more of a prob in QLD, they will kill an animal if eaten... but most animals will not touch them.. because they taste horrible! They secrete poison from their glands in their skin. My cat picked one up once (no taste this cat!) and I had to turn the hose pipe on him for him to drop the toad.... stupid cat!!!

It really depends where you will be living, like where your house will be... if you're next to bushland or something, you may have to be more wary about ticks, but if you're in say a housing development, away from the bush... you should have no worries.

I say take your dog... most people own dogs here. Some dogs will never pick up a Tick, others will . sounds if your relations are being a bit scare mongering if you ask me... it's not that bad, it depends where you are living. You just check your dog for them that's all.

cheers

P.S... about dog laws, and even cat laws... certain councils in Australia have different rules. Like my council only allows you to own two dogs, and, or two cats. If you want to own three you must ask the council first for approval. You best bet if you know where you will be moving to, is to go to that councils web site. Most councils/districts are online, and usually have the rules and regulations for animals on their web site.

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 13th 2002 at 4:13 am.
Old Nov 13th 2002, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default dog dilemma

Thanks for the info, I may not have to break the kids hearts after all! But just a matter of interest, are the vets prices resonable over there? Does anyone know how much it would cost to send 2 labradors? Do the have some sort of register over there?

Ta
Old Nov 14th 2002, 5:09 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I don't know how much it would cost to ship a dog from the UK, I came from Singapore with my cats. Cost for Quarantine here was around $1500 AU for two cats (30 days). Cost of flight, Micro chipping, Rabies shot, etc , etc, cost me the most.. a couple of thou (Singapore dollars, which is almost the same as AU dollars.. well it was then).

Vet prices in OZ... I would say are on par with the UK. My mum thinks vets are expensive with her in the UK, I think they are here too ... I'd say they're very much the same.

This may be a good place to start, this is the Aussie web site for information on bringing animals/pets here:
http://www.aqis.gov.au/animex/asp/home.asp

The only thing which I would worry about... is heat, if you're going to a part of Australia which is hot, and your dog not being used to it... I don't know, perhaps someone has experience of this with their dog. It's just when I finally go back to the UK.. I'll be travelling in the summer for a reason .. I've got the opposite problem, my cats are used to heat, and I think the cold will kill them. They originally came from Singapore (Hot weather cats).

Dog licence.- from the council, unless the quarantine does it for you.

cheers
Old Nov 14th 2002, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Doggy to Oz ????

Hi, Our dog is coming to adelaide with us and has to stay the 30 days in jail in melborne.It means a hell of a drive to visit but it will let us see a bit of the country in the early days.Unfortunatly you cant move the dog anywhere else. jockney
Old Nov 14th 2002, 2:26 pm
shellypuss

Jockney,

Who are you using to transport your dog?

We will also be making the journey from Adelaide to Melb to see our pooh packet

Shelly

Old Nov 15th 2002, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by shellypuss
Jockney,

Who are you using to transport your dog?

We will also be making the journey from Adelaide to Melb to see our pooh packet

Shelly
Hi,We are usingPINEHAWK KENNELS& LIVESTOCK SHIPPERS CHURCH RD NEWMARKET SUFFOLK CB89LA TELE01223290249.The little ankle biter will be traveling British airways direct while we will be looking for cheap flights.The cost for our little benji type mongrel is£ 989.60 which includesnew air kennell delivery to airport airport vet fees airport handling and freight charges to melbourne.I think kennels which are 12km outside centre are about 800 dollars cant remember offhand. jockney
Old Nov 15th 2002, 12:48 pm
shellypuss

Cheers Jockney,

I have got their bumpf at home but havent got round to looking at it yet - might give them a whirl, i'm just worried that they are all going to tie her to the aircraft wheels for cheapness!!!

Shelly

Old Nov 15th 2002, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by shellypuss
Cheers Jockney,

I have got their bumpf at home but havent got round to looking at it yet - might give them a whirl, i'm just worried that they are all going to tie her to the aircraft wheels for cheapness!!!

Shelly
They could tie me to the aircraft wheels if they want as long as they give me my visa!!!