Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog at the vets being treated for paraylsis ticks

Wikiposts

Dog at the vets being treated for paraylsis ticks

Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog at the vets being treated for paraylsis ticks

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Ive been told they dont have these ticks in WA?

What a horrible thing for any animal to get.
i too have been told that - as long as we dont go too in to the bush ie nowheres land we are ok - told by jessies vet or as my kids call him - jessies doctor

op glad to hear your dog made it through the night - keep us up dated on how she/he is
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:52 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Hi C,

I can't believe they sent you home the first time! We have used Advantix and now have the collars because of the swimming (I can take them off when they go in the sea). I'll have to see what the problem is with collars and cats as we have a kitten and the 2 dogs have collars - but no ill effects so far!

Anyway really hope your dog is ok.

Rebecca
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:19 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear she's a bit better, Rudi - have everything crossed for her.

As I said to you last night, I had naively assumed these things were only up in the wilds of Queensland but somebody here has told me there is a huge problem in North Sydney. What with that and the savaging Han got a few weeks ago, I'm beginning to wonder what I've brought my cats to and a high rise apartment (sans balcony) is looking more and more attractive.

The reading I did last night said you have to soak your dogs/cats in solution for it to be effective. That would go down really well with my lot. Let us know what you conclude re. Proban.

xxx
Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Really hope your dog makes a full and speedy recovery.

We use advantix drops on our lab and she also wears a tick collar. I never knew these were not supposed to be used with cats around. Anyway we have two cats and the dog has had this protection for almost three years and the cats seem absolutely fine

Mel x
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:02 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melibeam
Really hope your dog makes a full and speedy recovery.

We use advantix drops on our lab and she also wears a tick collar. I never knew these were not supposed to be used with cats around. Anyway we have two cats and the dog has had this protection for almost three years and the cats seem absolutely fine

Mel x
From the advantix website

Can advantix be used in cats?

No, because of their peculiar physiology and inability to metabolise certain substances, advantix should not be used in cats.

How is permethrin metabolised, because it is toxic in cats?

While permethrin is very well tolerated in dogs, in cats it is toxic and may cause even fatal reactions.
The metabolism of the pyrethroids uses the hepatic pathway with glucuronidation and excretion as inactive metabolites via the urine. Cats are known to have an inadequate hepatic glycuronidation pathway which does not allow detoxification of molecules such as pyrethroids, leading to an accumulation of these and to poisoning.

After seven million doses sold in the USA there were in all eleven deaths in cats, ten of them as a result of direct application!!

How can permethrin poisoning in cats be treated?

If recognised and treated in time, the prognosis is generally favourable. After creation of stable peripheral vascular access, the primary treatment protocol should include:
- Decontamination with washing
- Monitoring of neurological signs
- Regulation of temperature
- Stabilisation of vital organs.
Support treatment and stabilisation of the sick cat should then be established.

Can advantix not be used in dogs and cats which live together?

advantix can be used in dogs which live with cats, as reported in the study by Knoppe (2002), where no adverse effects were found in the cats. In animals which live in close proximity and at any rate basically for the owner's peace of mind, it is a good rule to avoid contact in the first few hours after application, to apply the product in the evening, and to keep the animals separate during the night.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

kate1973 is a jewel in the roughkate1973 is a jewel in the roughkate1973 is a jewel in the roughkate1973 is a jewel in the roughkate1973 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Rudi,

Just to let you know I will keep my fingers crossed for a quick recovery for your poor dog.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Rudi

Hope your dog pulls through. It is heartbreaking.
I believe the paralysis ticks are a lot worse in dogs than cats.
We live on small acreage completely surrounded by rainforest on the Sunshine Coast - amazingly only one of our three cats has had a paralysis tick in the nearly two years we have been here (me and my husband have had them also - it's amazing how they get on you and you haven't even been gardening or the like) and they don't roam much away from the house. This one was on my cats neck and had had a good feed by the looks of it. Took him to our vet who removed it and because he seemed fine, told us to take him home, keep him indoors, no food, only water and take him back the next day (unless any other symptoms developed when we could have called them at any hour). Next day he was fine so was told to keep him indoors for 48 hours in case of any cardiac problems that can occur. He was fine and apparently will have gained a little immunity now.

I suppose what I want to say is that it's quite shocking for the vet nurse to do what she did and send you home in the case of a dog with paralysis tick and obvious symptoms to boot.
The nurses at our vets are great but would never take it upon themselves to do anything like that, we always get to see the vet, no matter what. I know vet nurses are trained and skilled etc, but in dogs, this is critical as you know. It would be like me as a nurse, seeing a patient who came in with a brown snake bite and telling them to go home and see how they go on!!! Unthinkable.
Fingers crossed your dog pulls through, then I hope that vet nurse can be reined in and get more supervision or else.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you again for all your best wishes. The vet left me voicemail at lunchtime (I was on Stradbroke Island with my parents who are visiting.....watching sharks unexpectedly where we were swimming moments before - all very exciting and I think we were on Ch7 news at 6pm tonight http://news.theage.com.au/national/s...1228-765x.html!!!!!). All is going well with the dog and the vet is really happy with her progress. She hasn't said she's out of the woods yet, but I think the outlook is looking far more positive than 24 hours ago.

I will update you again tomorrow.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Dec 28th 2008, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I just had another call from the vet. My dog is doing really well and has managed to eat some food today. The vet is now confident of a positive outcome for her. We are so happy and so relieved!

Thank you all for thinking of us and her.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:16 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

That's great news!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 5:54 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
I just had another call from the vet. My dog is doing really well and has managed to eat some food today. The vet is now confident of a positive outcome for her. We are so happy and so relieved!

Love

Rudi
x

Fantastic - feels appropriate to wish you all a happy new year now. And have fun with the rellies. How do they like the new place?!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

James_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rudi

Love

Rudi
x
Fantastic news, glad it has turned out ok for you all.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

What a worry-glad she is doing better now. Now it has heated up they are a real problem. We started using frontline but found the fleas seemed to be immune to it We now use advantix but as someone says you can't use if you have cats around...the best thing is to constantly check them. Keep us updated Rudi.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Really please your dog is doing well. Hopefully she will make a full recovery and be home with you soon.

Mel x
Old Dec 28th 2008, 11:53 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Fronline needs to go on every 2 weeks, advantix is good but I think that has to be put on every 2 weeks as well. The cat thing, well unless your cats lick the dog freqently and once put on the product goes into the skin and would not be able to be licked off after 24 hours its probably well worth it. There is a customer help line on both products give them a ring, check what they have to say.
So glad to be in WA. Hope your pooch picks up, keep searching for the ticks though, they get everywhere.

Jenny

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.