Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog Trainer Recommendations

Dog Trainer Recommendations

Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog Trainer Recommendations

We need someone to give us some dog training tips as our Great Dane is picking up some bad habits, like helping himself to food straight off the counter, not coming back when called and eating his own shit.

We had Bark Busters quote $380 for 2 hours

Anyone know of someone good in Perth NOR who doesn't charge astronomical prices?

It's unbelievable how much people charge for stuff like this. It's like they think everyone is a gold miner or something. Roll on the recession so I can get some work done on the house without getting ripped off.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:53 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Trainer Recommendations

Originally Posted by renth
We need someone to give us some dog training tips as our Great Dane is picking up some bad habits, like helping himself to food straight off the counter, not coming back when called and eating his own shit.

Anyone know of someone good in Perth NOR who doesn't charge astronomical prices?

It's unbelievable how much people charge for stuff like this. It's like they think everyone is a gold miner or something. Roll on the recession so I can get some work done on the house without getting ripped off.
I have a friend who is an Animal behaviourist, she works out of one of the local vets, cant remember which one, but I can pm you her number if you would like.

Sam
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
I have a friend who is an Animal behaviourist, she works out of one of the local vets, cant remember which one, but I can pm you her number if you would like.

Sam
That would be great, thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Eating food from the counter - a couple of ideas:
1) balance clattery things (e.g. baking tray, whisk, spatula) on edge of surface, so that when dog investigates all he gets is a nasty rattly shocking noise. Is likely to leave alone after this has happened a few times. (Clearly do not use rattly SHARP things, like knives)
2) If you are present, then when the dog puts nose to counter squirt him behind the ear with a sharp jet of water. This will not hurt, obviously, but may shock him out of doing what he was about to. It also has the advantage that he does not associate it with you, so the result can be effective even when you are not around.
3) Again if you are present, when the dog puts nose to counter lob a 'shaker' at his head. A shaker is any plastic bottle with some gravel in it. Small milk bottles or evian bottles etc are ideal. Dogs hate the noise and it shocks them. Ours will now lower his head apologetically at the mere sight of 'the shaker'. This is excellent for food theft - try putting a morsel of cheddar on the ground, the dog will go for it but before they get it in their mouth chuck the shaker at the floor right in front of their nose. They will jump back. Then give the dog the morsel from your hand, with lots of praise. Try it a few times - very quickly, the dog should realise that taking food from the floor is a bad idea, and that he can get his reward by waiting for you to give it to him.

Let me know if any of this works! We have used it all with our lab, who can now be trusted to leave alone a plate of food even if it is on the floor with no people around. He even left his own food once, at meal time, because he had not heard the 'ok' command. Half an hour later we opened the back door to find a very hungry looking dog next to an untouched bowl of food! Poor pooch....

As for the recall command, try lots and lots of rope work. It's a pain in the arse but it does work. There are lots of websites on this, some have entire manuals that you can download and work from if you are serious about it. (and who wants a badly behaved great dane?!)

GOOD LUCK!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:05 am
(It's not my real name)

that's great, thanks for that esperanza.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

What great tips esperenza. We have a lab who is excellent with not touching food but who doesn't always come when called. Will try the rope idea.

Good luck with your Great Dane Renth!

Gill
Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

We used Barkbusters in the U.K. They cost us something like 200pounds but they did have some fantastic ideas that really worked if you stuck to them and they guaranteed their work for life, so if ever we had a behavior problem again they will come out free of charge even though we are now in Aus. Saying that the best thing we ever did for her behavior was stick her in quarantine!!! Since the day she came home she has never once try to run away, which was her main problem in the U.K.
Tracie
Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

that's great, thanks for that esperanza.
You're welcome, I accept paypal.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Vet West does puppy classes for 6-13 weeks or classes for older than 14 weeks. http://www.vetwest.com.au/puppy-school When we looked into it the classes were held at a park down in Burns Beach, so probably convenient for you.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:50 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Search in local rag mate, debs found a chick that did lessons every week for 15 bucks a shot, and after 10 lessons got a certificate.

She was so pleased, until dog pissed on it !!

Get what you pay for lol !
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:30 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by esperanza
3) Again if you are present, when the dog puts nose to counter lob a 'shaker' at his head. A shaker is any plastic bottle with some gravel in it. Small milk bottles or evian bottles etc are ideal. Dogs hate the noise and it shocks them. Ours will now lower his head apologetically at the mere sight of 'the shaker'. This is excellent for food theft - try putting a morsel of cheddar on the ground, the dog will go for it but before they get it in their mouth chuck the shaker at the floor right in front of their nose. They will jump back. Then give the dog the morsel from your hand, with lots of praise. Try it a few times - very quickly, the dog should realise that taking food from the floor is a bad idea, and that he can get his reward by waiting for you to give it to him.
Esperanza, this is gold!!!

I did this tonight, made a shaker and did what you said, it only took about 15 minutes of training and now he is absolutely shit scared of any food that's on the floor. Thanks!!!

I'll have to check the counter surfing next, I don't want to traumatise him too much, I'll do that tomorrow.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

I did this tonight, made a shaker and did what you said, it only took about 15 minutes of training and now he is absolutely shit scared of any food that's on the floor. Thanks!!!

I'll have to check the counter surfing next, I don't want to traumatise him too much, I'll do that tomorrow.
I'm so glad it worked! It's no fun having a naughty dog. Keep up the good work!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

This is the kind of thing barkbusters did with ours. The same idea to stop her getting on the furniture worked as well. Everytime she went to jump up on the couch we threw the shaker to the floor and shouted BAH, it worked
Tracie
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
This is the kind of thing barkbusters did with ours. The same idea to stop her getting on the furniture worked as well. Everytime she went to jump up on the couch we threw the shaker to the floor and shouted BAH, it worked
Tracie
It works with just about everything! Barking, coffee tables, food... anything, as long as you are present to throw the thing. Even if not, you can put in on top of something and once the dog recognises the evil shaker then it will usually steer well clear - e.g. new pot plant in the garden! Or presents under a christmas tree, etc.