British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   dog restrictions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/dog-restrictions-486160/)

lizard Oct 9th 2007 8:35 am

dog restrictions

Hi you guys, we are currently in NZ but are getting pretty frustrated with the anti-dog mentality here. You cannot take them anywhere. (We both love hiking but its not the same without our dogs. WE didnt think it would bother us that much because we have a bit of land, but it does) Is it like that in Australia? Can you take dogs in the national parks? Are there footpaths and long distance treks you can take your dogs on?

We are thinking of checking Tasmania out, Anyone living there? can give us a little bit of info too. Whats it like there? are people friendly? dog restrictions etc?

I hope someone could please fill me in or know of any links.

cheers guys

Timber Floor Au Oct 9th 2007 8:39 am

Re: dog restrictions

Originally Posted by lizard (Post 5403758)
Hi you guys, we are currently in NZ but are getting pretty frustrated with the anti-dog mentality here. You cannot take them anywhere. (We both love hiking but its not the same without our dogs. WE didnt think it would bother us that much because we have a bit of land, but it does) Is it like that in Australia? Can you take dogs in the national parks? Are there footpaths and long distance treks you can take your dogs on?

We are thinking of checking Tasmania out, Anyone living there? can give us a little bit of info too. Whats it like there? are people friendly? dog restrictions etc?

I hope someone could please fill me in or know of any links.

cheers guys

Havent got a clue , regarding Tazzy.. but if its like Australia, your treated like a lepper..

I would imagine its like QLD, in that each council has and adopts different bylaws regarding our canine friends..

Exerpt from Hobart Council

The Hobart City Council is committed to ensuring the responsible ownership of dogs within its municipal area.

All dog owners residing and visiting the City must abide by the regulations contained in the Dog Control Act 2000.

To promote responsible ownership the Hobart City Council will ensure its policies are consistent with community expectations and are designed to encourage a compatible relationship between dog owners and non-dog owners.

The Council recognises the significant contribution a well-trained and cared for dog can make within society. Therefore a strong emphasis is placed on education to ensure that all dog owners and potential dog owners are encouraged to behave responsibly.

Wellington joined the Animal Control Section of the Customer Service Centre in 2004. His role is to promote responsible dog ownership in our community. Wellington delivers a variety of messages to raise awareness regarding responsible dog ownership.

further reading....

Local Dog Rules
Cats and Other Animals
Complaints
Dogs Home
Dogs on the Domain
Exercising Your Dog
Fees and Charges
Kids Corner
Local Dog Rules
News and Information
Questions
Training Tips
find The Dog Control Act 2000 has been established by the State Government to provide the control and Management of Dogs. http://www.thelaw.tas.gov.au.

Section 7(1) of the Dog Control Act, states that Council is to develop and implement a policy relating to dog management in its own Municipal area. This policy is to be reviewed at least once every 5 years.

View the Hobart City Council's Dog Management Policy 2003.

The Dog Control Act 2000 and the Council's Dog Management Policy 2003 are supported by a range of documents as follows:

Application for Dog Registration
Any dog over the age of 6 months is required to be registered.
Kennel Licence Application
If you keep more than two dogs over the age of 6 months on your property you are required to have a Kennel Licence. Click here to download the forms to apply for a Kennel Licence.
No longer required to register
Council must be notified in writing or complete the above form if you are no longer required to register your dog due to death, loss or removal.
Change of address
The owner of a dog is to notify the Council in writing within 14 days of the transfer of address. You may download the change of address form and forward it to the Hobart City Council GPO BOX 503, Hobart 7001 or Fax 62382 186 or email it to [email protected]
Dog Management Policy 2003
The Hobart City Council has developed and implemented a policy relating to dog management in the Hobart Municipal area.
Publications
Solving the barking problem
Publication produced by the Hobart City Council to help in solving the problem of barking dogs
Things you should know about dangerous dogs
Publication produced by the Hobart City Council to help people understand dangerous dogs

link to their site is:

http://www.hobartcity.com.au/HCC/STA...RULES_884.html

lizard Oct 9th 2007 9:21 am

thanks for that Timber. I have followed some other links from it and concluded that it is the same as in NZ. Complete restrictions everywhere. We came down here for space but it does not feel that you can truly get it if you have to put part of the family in kennels. We do feel a little bit trapped.

For us this is really now the deciding factor and our adventure in the southern hemisphere will soon be drawing to a close. I really do not think that I could spend the rest of my life living like this.

It gets me down here all this bloody space, but no pet dogs anywhere. You would think that at least one national park would allow dogs.( hunting dogs yes) I am not interested in taking my dogs to the local park or school field, I have that on my own land. I want to take them on 20 mile hikes. This is the reason I cannot stay, sad because everything else is great down here.

Smaller garden in England but more open spaces because of all the public footpaths and national parks.

If you are not a dog lover you will not understand. If you are you will. Leaving them behind when you go of hiking, they know.

Timber Floor Au Oct 9th 2007 9:43 am

Originally Posted by lizard (Post 5403950)
thanks for that Timber. I have followed some other links from it and concluded that it is the same as in NZ. Complete restrictions everywhere. We came down here for space but it does not feel that you can truly get it if you have to put part of the family in kennels. We do feel a little bit trapped.

For us this is really now the deciding factor and our adventure in the southern hemisphere will soon be drawing to a close. I really do not think that I could spend the rest of my life living like this.

It gets me down here all this bloody space, but no pet dogs anywhere. You would think that at least one national park would allow dogs.( hunting dogs yes) I am not interested in taking my dogs to the local park or school field, I have that on my own land. I want to take them on 20 mile hikes. This is the reason I cannot stay, sad because everything else is great down here.

Smaller garden in England but more open spaces because of all the public footpaths and national parks.

If you are not a dog lover you will not understand. If you are you will. Leaving them behind when you go of hiking, they know.

SHITE ! aint this the truth...

We built our dream home recently, having moved 100klm south to north brisbane..

Spent a small fortune, to get acreage, and the best of what we could afford, and all for the DOGS

Then 3 weeks ago, girl from council knocks the door.. very politely stating somone has complained about my dogs..

Nearest neighbour is 500m away !!!!! We are on 10 acres, and we are fully legit..

I asked the question, WHAT was their complaint??

She replied Barking all the time.. which is in fact bullshit, wife is here 24/7

So i said no wukkas .. I will sell the bloody house, and so now we are on the hunt for larger acreage, 40+ gonna have to re build, and do all new dog proof fencing etc etc...

In my next breath I mentioned the fact, one guy has 9 horses on his block, they keep escaping, and shitting all over the road.. to which she replied , thats country life for you..

To which i replied, a kid doesnt get killed by a car skidding cos of a dog barking, but easily done on horse shit..

She suddenly went quiet..

I then instigated a very cunning plan, I mentioned it was my intention to sue the council..

What grounds she replied??

Well.. you do your monitoring, and let me know the outcome in few weeks time, hide in your effin cars with your decibel readers, and come back to me with the conclusions, and you will find, our dogs, bark only at garbo trucks , every wednesday, and at thunder...

Then I will speak with my solicitor, and try and asceertain and prove negligence on your behalf.. as you fully approved our kenneling, its position, the fences, yards and runs.. water supply, sanitation, and general welfare of registered dogs.

All of which you happily let us pay for..

And then I will just sue you !! easy peasy lemon squeezy

3 weeks later, phone call...... from council.. it appears you have taken measures to minimize the impact of your dogs, on neighbouring property, so well done, and we will be in touch shortly...

I fear Australia, has a bullshit fixation with the owning and keeping of bona-fide dogs,,,

or should that be bono-fido lol

Anyways good luck

lizard Oct 9th 2007 9:54 am

Good for you, but I can't be doing with this crap. You get less complaints in the UK about dogs barking and everyone lives on top of each other. I can not stand this dogs are the route of all our problems mentality. What about the junkies, criminals and P labs for christ sake. Why don't the law makers and councils concentrate their efforts on them. All I want to do is take my pals for walks.