Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dog law....does anyone know?

Dog law....does anyone know?

Old Sep 15th 2004, 8:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog law....does anyone know?

Does anyone know if it is illegal to leave two dogs - one large alsatian, one large collie mix thing home alone for a week with someone coming in once a day in the evening to say hello.

Next door neighbours who we really get on with have these two dogs. They never take them for walks - well once every two months, maybe once a week go out in the car may be to some land for a run around don't know. Anyway they have gone away. The son is coming in every evening but not walking them and not staying long.

I don't want to get them into trouble, we like them and we are still here for another year but every morning they start barking and howling at 6am and continue until about 2pm. I am getting to the end of my tether.

I will speak to son tonight if I can catch him but just wondered about the law. I fully understand the moral law - well out of order.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog law....does anyone know?

Dunno about the legality of it, but here we have a dog on each side, and one in the house behind, and they all bark, sometimes non-stop, all hours of the day and night. It like Battersea round here! And none of them ever go indoors, they are all in the garden all the time! Oh for peace and quiet!!!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Does anyone know if it is illegal to leave two dogs - one large alsatian, one large collie mix thing home alone for a week with someone coming in once a day in the evening to say hello.

Next door neighbours who we really get on with have these two dogs. They never take them for walks - well once every two months, maybe once a week go out in the car may be to some land for a run around don't know. Anyway they have gone away. The son is coming in every evening but not walking them and not staying long.

I don't want to get them into trouble, we like them and we are still here for another year but every morning they start barking and howling at 6am and continue until about 2pm. I am getting to the end of my tether.

I will speak to son tonight if I can catch him but just wondered about the law. I fully understand the moral law - well out of order.
Morally you're quite right. I mean one night is one thing but a week is harsh. At the same time if they have a large yard to run around in maybe it's not so bad.

However, I do think speaking to the son first may be the best thing. If nothing improves I would be tempted to ring the council to make anoise complaint. They can then check out the other situation as well without you 'dobbing' in the neighbours.

Good luck with it. It sounds like a horrid situation.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ushas
Morally you're quite right. I mean one night is one thing but a week is harsh. At the same time if they have a large yard to run around in maybe it's not so bad.

However, I do think speaking to the son first may be the best thing. If nothing improves I would be tempted to ring the council to make anoise complaint. They can then check out the other situation as well without you 'dobbing' in the neighbours.

Good luck with it. It sounds like a horrid situation.
Poor dogs can't even get outside. Locked indoors with living room curtains shut. God knows what the smell is like
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:49 pm
Professional Princess

Poor dogs can't even get outside. Locked indoors with living room curtains shut. God knows what the smell is like
In the UK, it would be illegal. But i dont know about australia.

Its extremely cruel though. I pay someone to walk my dog during the day and wouldnt dream of leaving her for long periods.

I suppose people have different ideas and priorities over the care of their animals.

The smell must be awful and the poor dogs, I cant bear to think about it.

Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:19 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

If the barking is annoying phone your local council - I did this a couple of weeks ago as a farmer down the road has sheepdogs and one of them was barking non-stop for over a week - it drove me NUTS!

Anyway, they will write a letter to them saying they've had a complaint about the noise (but dont say where from) and also send you a "diary" to keep a note of all times when the noise is a nuisance in case it doesnt stop and things need to be taken further.

It's worked a treat!

Regarding leaving them on their own for a week, can't see that there would be any law about this although it seems a bit cruel not that much different to them being in a boarding kennels, other than having more company...
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

I used to leave my dog while I was at work. And occasionally I left her overnight if I needed to go somewhere that I couldn't take her. But unless it was p***ing down and blowing a gale I made sure she had a comfy bed and 'cover' outside so that she could run around. And she got a damn good walk and cuddle at the beginning and after I got home.

A week stuck inside seems rather inhumane!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Are you in Australia or England? If in OZ guess what we have rules to guide us.

Depending on size of block and your local council you can have one or two dogs, more than that you usually need special permission. Because most Austrlian houses have a patio or shaded deck outside often Rover will live outside as Pollanna has mentioned. However dont laugh I am not making this up, most councils have guidelines about the amount of minutes a dog is allowed to bark sorry that should be because its not funny it can drive you nuts. So neighbour one reports Rover to council, council sends owner a letter re barking, if nothing is done they send a survey to the surrounding neighbours to time the dogs barking, if the councils limit is say 6 minutes per hour and two neighbours record this the council can take Rover to court.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

In the UK.

Went round and saw son when he appeared. Seems him and girlfriend are sleeping there - arrived at 9:30. Explained the situation, he said sorry - dur! also said that he hadn't heard them because they left at 5am - no shit sherlock.

I still don't think its fair on the dogs and never have since they had them. The size of them - they should be having two long walks a day etc. Even when couple are there the dogs come out for about 10 mins morning and evening to run round the garden and that's it.

I will wait until we are almost gone before reporting them. Sorry dog people, but apart from that they are good neighbours and they are damned hard to find. Our other neighbours are shits so don't want to fall our with all of them
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:27 pm
Cheeky

In the UK.

Went round and saw son when he appeared. Seems him and girlfriend are sleeping there - arrived at 9:30. Explained the situation, he said sorry - dur! also said that he hadn't heard them because they left at 5am - no shit sherlock.

I still don't think its fair on the dogs and never have since they had them. The size of them - they should be having two long walks a day etc. Even when couple are there the dogs come out for about 10 mins morning and evening to run round the garden and that's it.

I will wait until we are almost gone before reporting them. Sorry dog people, but apart from that they are good neighbours and they are damned hard to find. Our other neighbours are shits so don't want to fall our with all of them
Hi Moneypen20

How frustrating!!! Poor dogs.

Its reminds of the time when we had a neighbour who (was a really nice person also!!) had 5 dogs. She would go out to work all day from 8am until 6pm and the dogs were locked up in the house all day on their own. Barking at everything and anything but I was sad at the fact they were cooped up all day. Get this, I even offered to take them out for her (as a kind gesture) but she never took me up on it. She has moved now and I think most of the neighbours are very relieved!!!!
Hope you get it sorted,
Cheeky